Why did you decide to go into teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Nov 17, 2014.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Nov 17, 2014

I was at a family gathering earlier this month and we did a count, out of the 105 first cousins, 191 if you count spouses there are 84 teachers in the family, basically you're either a teacher, military, or doctor.

Funny thing is is that all of the cousins met at least one cousin who they had never met before. Some are literally long-lost cousins, found again by the family only to discover that they too are teachers. Two aunts and an uncle were also teachers. Family history discussion came out that several of the grandparents and great-grandparents had also been teachers.

We joked that it must be a genetic trait to be a teacher in my family.

What made you decide to do what you do?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 17, 2014

It was one of the available jobs in my area.

I wish I could say I had played school, dreamed of being a teacher since I was a little girl.

Nah. Economics. It served a purpose at the time.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 18, 2014

Interesting, I don't have any family members who are teachers.

I never had the dream to be a teacher when I was younger, either. My first job in high school was at a haircutting place, sweeping hair. I had sports practice that fell on a work day (my third shift!) and my boss made me pick my job or my team. I chose my team...went up to my coach and begged for a job, since she owned a gym...and that's how I started coaching little kids. Turned out I LOVEDDDDD it. I coached for four years, kind of fell into various other part time college jobs, but went straight back into teaching kids, this time through substitute teaching, once I got my BA.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 18, 2014

Don't have any family members who are teachers - have an aunt who is a psychologist for a private ED school, but nothing more than that. Originally, I was a computer science major, but I could barely handle the first level of math, so I decided to give into the urge that had been lingering in the back of my mind since probably the end of the middle school - "I was treated poorly in school because of my disabilities, why not try to rectify that by going into education?"

6. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Nov 18, 2014

I'd always wanted to be a teacher since I was little. (In between wanting to be a gymnast, dancer, actress, and Mia Hamm.) I focused all the energy into taking summer school courses so I could clear room in my schedule for special classes to help me get toward my teaching goal. However, halfway through college I decided I wanted to be a Probation Officer and help kids that way...

I've been in Probation for 2 years now and I just interviewed for entrance to a credential program so I can be a teacher after all. Probation is NOT where I want to be after all.

...but who am I kidding... I still do theatre on the side, well known Broadway actress would still be desired job title. LOL!

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2014

My mother was a teacher, but she warned me against going into teaching especially teaching in Baltimore. She spent her entire career working for Newark, NJ PS and she knew the headaches of teaching in the urban/inner-city.

Teaching was only supposed to be my back up career - I would teach for a few years until the economy bounced back - when I got out of grad school in 2008. I never wanted to teach, especially not long-term. But the money/benefits are very good for 190 days worth of work and I have the summer and weekends off - so I stay until something better comes along.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 18, 2014

When I was in fourth grade my teacher, Mrs. Shcaffer, would take us to the library. We brought work with us. She could then go have a cigarette in the office/lounge on that floor by the library. She told me to move around and help anyone that needed it. A teacher was born.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2014

I was one that played teacher, but never really wanted to be a teacher for a living. After changing my majors a few times, I decided to be a teacher because of my nephew. My sister is the only other teacher on my side of the family that I know of.

10. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Nov 18, 2014

All the time it allowed me to be with my family. Off by 2pm, weekends off, all holidays off, 3 months of vacations.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 18, 2014

I graduated college. Didn't know what to do.

All I knew was that I didn't want to work at the grocery store or the assembly line anymore, and I wanted something a little bit more intellectual that used the degree I spent four years to get, that paid enough money for me to live comfortably on, and had lots of free time.

I know I enjoyed tutoring other people in math and other things, so I thought I might enjoy teaching. It had good hours, I would be done with my workday early, had great vacation time, and I could teach a subject I loved everyday.

I'm okay with kids. I wouldn't say I love kids. I like them, and they're very cool at times. But they're not the reason I went into teaching. At least not directly. I guess I wanted to make some impact on the world, and teaching 200 students a year to be more educated about thinking scientifically and about how to analyze the bizarre claims that many of our uneducated population consider truth, I would be making the world a slightly better place. But I would never say I took this job to be around kids constantly.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 18, 2014

My story is probably the strangest.
    Never worked with kids or worked in education in any capacity. I never really liked kids to be honest. I liked my daughter, but little kids drove me crazy (especially boys, girls I could handle), and didn't get teenagers until my daughter became a teenager.

I went to college because I wanted to learn Arabic and couldn't do it on my own (tried for a year though). There after taking 1 class for a semester, I chose a major (Arabic) for an assoc. degree. Didn't really know what to do with it, I just liked to be in college.
    Then I transferred to a 4 year university because I wanted to keep learning :) So I chose Linguistics, because I was always interested in it.
    When I got my BA, I couldn't imagine not being in school so wanted to get my masters. Still didn't know what I was going to do, so I chose Linguistics.
    Didn't get in, but I didn't let it stop me. I enrolled at National University, but they didn't have Linguistics. The lady asked what major I'd be interested in. I remember looking at the long list, and thought education sounds nice, something I could study and be into it. The lady said maybe I want to get a teaching credential, because a lot of the classes overlap, so why not?
    I thought about it for about 20 seconds, and said ok.
    This is how I became a teacher :) Had no idea what I was getting into.

13. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Nov 18, 2014

I got into it by accident. I retired from another career at the age of 50. After about 2 years of that, decided that I had retired too early so i started teaching. It's meaningful and stimulating work and the work schedule is absolutely unbelievable.I feel like I am having my cake and getting to eat it as well. It's the best of all possible worlds and I could not be happier.

14. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2014

I've wanted to since 6th/7th grade, possibly earlier. My "junior high" algebra teacher, which I actually had during elementary school (I walked to the junior high for math), was so well organized, cared about his students, knew the subject well, and made the class fun (imagine that!). He let me come back and TA in his class eventually when I was in junior high, and I quite literally spent hours each week after school / during lunches helping him grade or do other things in class. I'd occasionally even help older students on work when I was TAing in the class.

Also, my sisters and parents would quickly say that I was always coming up with random games that my younger sisters would play, always giving them "homework", schedules...yeah..

But in general, I've just always loved helping kids reach their fullest potential, turn some of their lives around, and just be that positive influence in their lives. Couldn't imagine anything more intrinsically rewarding than this profession.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 18, 2014

From the ages of 5-10, I carried a clipboard around everywhere I went. I was always taking notes, creating (handwritten) worksheets and tests for my brother and sister, and spent most recesses helping my teacher in his/her classroom. Additionally, my mom is a teacher, so I feel as though I grew up in the classroom.

After high school, I decided to double major in English & Sociology. Once undergrad was done, I got my multiple subjects teaching credential and got a job right away.

I chose to go back to school after my 5th year in the classroom. After finishing all my admin. coursework, I applied for a VP position and didn't get the job! I waited a year, applied again, and landed the position.

Side note: My brother and sister have never forgiven me for all the worksheets and tests I created for them to complete! They were good sports, though, and finished the assignments I gave them! :lol:

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Nov 18, 2014

When I was in 7th grade, I helped every day after school in a Kindergarten classroom at my K-8 school. I was hooked. The K teacher wrote in my yearbook "You have such a gift with children that if you are not going to pursue a career in teaching then you have to have a 'gazillion' children of your own!" I've been working with children in some capacity - volunteering, after school programs, day camps, etc - ever since.

Also, my mom is a teacher. :)

17. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Nov 20, 2014

I was never around children before I started teaching, and found them kind of terrifying. But I had graduated from college with a "useless" bachelor's degree and was tired of waitressing. I felt like I had to go back to school for something else, and my many teacher friends suggested I look into teaching. I *never* would have thought it was a suitable career for me, but I decided to give it a shot. At the very least, I had a thing for office supplies and Back to School sales.

I got a master's in Elementary & Special Education. I found that it really suited my personality -- and it gave me meaning. I felt like I could make a difference in their lives.

I was able to dabble in many different things -- substitute teaching, resource, self-contained SPED, Title 1 public schools, charter schools... and now that I've found a comfortable niche, I LOVE it. :) I am so glad to have found this path. At times I still question if I can handle working with kids for the next couple decades until retirement... sounds a bit daunting... but I know the education field has many offshoots.

18. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 21, 2014

I pretty much just liked school myself… a science teacher had me help struggling kids a lot and told me that I would be a good teacher. From then on I pretty much just decided that I would like being a teacher. I also knew that I would coach basketball and this fits well with teaching.

19. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2014

I always loved school and I was always teaching my little sister stuff I had learned (although I never made her do worksheets, lol!). But, my mom was a teacher, and I would always hear her complain about all the issues in her job, and so I never thought I wanted to be a teacher (also, at the time, I didn't want to be following in her footsteps, to be honest). In college, I studied English and French because I loved those two subjects, and I tutored in the Writing Center as a work-study job. I was blown away to see the amount of help students in college needed with their writing. I honestly had no idea that other people struggled so much with something I found easy and fun. It opened my eyes to the idea that I had a way to give back.

I was still trying to figure it out after college, so I volunteered for a year in a nonprofit legal advocacy firm and thought about law school briefly, but then I realized that I had no passion for the law, whereas I did have a passion for helping others. So teaching came up as an option. I was able to teach abroad for a year after that, and I found teaching fun, even without any support or training, so I decided to go for my MAT and give it a try.

My first teaching position was in a small, struggling urban Catholic school where I felt like I had been thrown under the bus. I lasted three years there because I loved the community, but it nearly turned me off from teaching altogether. Five years and three districts later, I think I have finally found my niche (I hope they feel the same about me!).