Why did our fire alarm go off?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Loves the beach, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Loves the beach

Loves the beach Companion

Aug 2, 2009

This morning our fire alarm went off for no apparent reason. Maybe someone can help me out with this!

My husband and I were in bed this morning, and suddenly the fire alarm went off. I think it was 5:45. We jumped up and ran in search of the fire (what a scare), and found nothing. We think it stayed on for a minute, but it was hard to tell because we had just hopped out of bed and were frantic to discover what was going on.

We are living in a new construction. We've been in here two months. This is the first time this has happened.

3. Loves the beach

Aug 2, 2009

It just went off again, this time at 7:17! And it just stayed on for about half a minute. This is going to be annoying if it keeps up.... I'll probably end up calling my electrician.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2009

Try changing the batteries.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 2, 2009

First, are you absolutely sure your smoke detector is JUST a smoke detector and not a Carbon monoxide detector?

If you are sure, then open it up, take the batteries out and thoroughly vacuum inside. Sometimes you can have dust build-up or spiders inside that trigger the sensor and set it off. This happens a lot on new units -- they seem to be extra sensitive.

If that doesn't work, then the sensor is probably faulty and you'll need to have the alarm replaced.

6. Loves the beach

Aug 2, 2009

We're not sure if it is a Carbon monoxide detector. We discussed that before he went to work this morning. We did have alot of dust and spiders, so that is possible. We will try that. Thank you for your advice!

p.s. It went off four more times within an hour, but now it's stopped....wierd.

7. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 2, 2009

Mine did that once - I literally jumped out of bed and ran all over the apt! Battery needed changing....

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

It sounds like it is wired to the home instead of needing batteries. My previous home had one of those & one of the wires got a short. Ours would go off randomly.

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

My parents have a fan in their attic that cools it in the summer. One summer it got bent by a raccoon and the fire alarm went off b/c it was so hot up there since it wasn't working. There wasn't a fire, but the heat made it go off.