Why can't WalMart pick a pencil box brand and stick with it?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Jenny G, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 9, 2007

2 years ago I bought a class set of pencil boxes when they went on sale. They were really cheaply made and needed to be replaced. Last year, a better quality box was the item they offered. I bought a class set again with the intent that they would last a couple of years. I only need to replace about 10 of them and they have changed brands again! I am really anal about things like this and they all have to match. So I guess I will buy a new class set.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2007

Yeah you might want a new class set, but keep the other ones and make them work for something else, manipultive storage, flash card storage, etc.

You might not feel so bad about the expense

4. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 10, 2007

That's what I did with the cheapo ones. My label maker worked overtime on them.

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2007

I thought I was the only one:D . That's why I have to buy 250 spiral notebooks. 5 subjects. A different color for each subject. I don't trust my parents to buy exactly what I want. I think(scratch that) I know I'm anal to the point of obsessive compulsiveness. I have a very neat classroom though.:p

6. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

I thought I was the only one who liked everything to match :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 10, 2007

You guys are too funny. It sure does look better and makes for better storage, when supplies are consistent. I prefer to be able to say, "Take out your green homework folder," and see that that's what's out - not a million different cartoon characters, cutesy things.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2007

That is why I buy my own journals & communication folders. Even if I ask for a specific color, it usually doesn't happen. Plus it cuts down on arguing if everyone has the same thing.

9. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Jul 10, 2007

That is one of the reasons I have been stalking the Staples sale. Now all of my students have the same color folder for specific subjects and they all look the same. Of course, the main reason I do it is because my school doesn't do supply lists. Most of the students wouldn't be able to afford them.

10. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jul 10, 2007

Well I like things to match but big things like desks and chairs. Notebooks I could care less! Why spend your own money just for the sake of matching? Do you buy your students' clothes too so they all match as well? ;)

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2007

Well... I spent .20 on folders, and I will spend about 2.40 on the notebooks. Laminating is free...

Wow- I did spend a lot huh :p

It honestly does make it easier for me to tell the kids to find their green notebook, or orange folder.

ps- I will admit that most of my desks do not match. I teach at an older school, and have used what I was given.

12. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Add to the Walmart list:
    cheap box of all red colored pencils
    cheap colored folders with a full length tab that teachers can cut out themselves
    colored hanging folders
    cheap simple electronic calculators with separate MC and MR keys
    grease pencils (china markers) that write on overlays and erase easily
    paperclips, staples, rulers, protractors, compasses, tape, paper, pushpins, poster paper, floppy disks, R/W CD's, pencil sharpeners, staple removers, sharpie
    anything else?
    anything else?

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 11, 2007

Actually all of my desks and chairs do match. My hangers even match my curtains(told you I had OCD:p ). I think it is a small price to pay for organization.