why can't i even get an interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by lotusblossom, Aug 2, 2007.

1. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Okay, the title of my post is slightly inaccurate - I have been interviewed for 5 positions since May.

However, I cannot seem to score an interview with specific districts. What especially baffles me about one of these districts is that 2 of my student-teacher colleagues (meaning identical resumes) were interviewed AND hired within the district!!

I have been applying on the district's site and either mailing, faxing, or emailing (often times 2 of these 3 things) my resume and cover letter to the principals of the schools.

Anyone have any ideas?

3. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Have you tried calling and asking about open positions and who you need to talk to so schedule an interview?

Are you just sending over a resume w/o a context behind it, or are you providing emails/letters along with it that say "I'm interested in the XXX opening you have at XXX school. I would love to set up an interview, attached is my resume and letter of intent"

Not only do you have to send the stuff over, but you have say loud and clear "HEY! Look at this stuff!! I Want a job!!" with your actions =o)

4. lotusblossom

lotusblossom Companion

Aug 2, 2007

No, I am applying for specific openings posted. :-/

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2007

Apply everywhere, whether or not there's a job posted!!!!

"No openings" today could easily become "we jost lost 3 teachers!!!" tomorrow. You want your cover letter and resume in their hands when that happens!!!

6. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Also, some schools won't even post their openings at this time of year because they are in such a time crunch to fill them

One of my interviews this week was from a school I had called asking about any open positions and at the time they didn't have any but as soon as one opened, I got a call and the job was NEVER posted on their "up to date" job posting site.

Like Alice said, send them everywhere! Apply to every district, email every principal (with an attached resume and letter of intent) and express your interest in the school, a position and an interview and then call, call, call!

7. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Basically, leave no stone unturned.

8. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

Maybe my county is a little different....but we don't do interviews, we do bidding.

Anyways....the way I got my name out there (and I'm not kidding) was passing out business cards listing my degrees and simply attending board meetings FOR THE WHOLE TIME and mingling with the BOE members afterwards!

I got hired first round of bids!

Make your name and your face known.

Good Luck!

9. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Well I just got a call yesterday for a non-posted position, so don't assume they post everything. I also had my first interview with a school today and it was from a resume I had faxed 2 months ago. Good luck!

10. KRaeLamb

KRaeLamb Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I was talking with a teacher friend of mine today. She works in different state than I do. We got to talking about your situation (sorry, I was looking for insight). She said she made a pamphlet that had her name and pic. on the front. On the inside it had her degrees and PRAXIS scores (as well as something about her portfolio) and on the back she listed the jobs in which she was seeking.

Hope this helps!

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

Try one-stop, work search agencies

I was planning to make this a new thread...

How many of you have tried these one-stop work search agencies??? Some of them are connected to the state unemployment office, as yes...they are pretty rude, kinda dirty, and not very convienient. Some make you feel like just a number.

But...I have found one that worked perfectly for me.

Take a look at this:

http://wib.co.la.ca.us/centers/Centers_outsideLA.htm

This agency is called LA Works Work Source. This link is for outside L.A. county. They do have offices in L.A. I liked Irwindale the best.

This place is better than being at home on your computer. You have access to a computer, fax, copier and phones for free!!!! You can research companies in their research files, and you can sign up for workshops on interviewing, and dressing for interviewing, etc.

They even have a level that allows you to come once a week to a support group, which I think is the best part. You get to share your ups and downs with other job hunters. They understand what you are going thru, and can offer suggestions. This program gives you gas vouchers for attending! At the end of the program, when you find work, they give you gift cards for Shell, Albertsons, or Khol's!!

And it is not related to unemployment at all..so you do have to worry about them messing with that check, if you are getting one!

I like the fact that you can go online, complete applications, fax over resumes, get a call on your phone, and then call them back, all in the same place.

It gets you out of the house, helps you get things done in one place, and saves $$$ on copies, faxes, and phone calls!!