Why are you looking for a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cheeryteacher, Jul 15, 2007.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

Just curious as to how many people are fresh out of college, career changers, or currently teaching and looking for a new school. I personally am currently teaching, but want to find a new school.

3. montana gem

montana gem New Member

Jul 15, 2007

For me it is two fold. First due to circumstances beyond my control I have to support my self and two children. Therefore, I am re-entering teaching after being a stay at home mom. I have worked off and on I was a teaching assistant, had a job in my church religious ed department and homeschooled my children for several years. Right now even though teaching is my passion it is also what will more than likely support my family.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I'm not looking for a job anymore, but I WAS looking for one because I just graduated college. I just got hired less than a week ago.

5. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

I a) am a career changer, b) was non re-elected to my first year teaching job, and c) even if I was asked back, I have fundamental differences with my previous school district.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2007

I am not-quite-so-fresh out of college. I graduated almost 2 years ago. No jobs in Michigan :(

Well, unless you are related to a principal, the mayor, etc...

7. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I'm a career changer who was substituting for the previous school year. I really want a full-time teaching position - I love teaching!

MsSub

8. 1stYearTeacher

1stYearTeacher Companion

Jul 15, 2007

I'm a new college graduate, I love teaching and oh yeah... my current job is not even close to enough money to pay my student loans back!

9. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I'm am making a career change I've worked in social service for the past 3 years providing services to at-risk youth. I decided I wanted to work more directly with the kids and before they actually made it the justice system. Although I've never had an actual teaching position (other than my current summer school schedule) interviewers are rather impressed at how much I know about handling difficult youth. Hope it helps me land a job! I went on two interviews Friday and I have 3 more on Mon. and Tues. Good luck to all!

10. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

This sounds almost like a interview question, LOL.

1. I got sick of trying to find a reliable position in my former profession, banking/financial services, i.e., tired of getting laid off due to mergers, department transfers, etc. Also, I just got sick of counting other people's money. So I guess this makes me a career changer.

2. Turned in my resignation from last position for a variety of reasons. Way over the top small-town politics, low pay/distance/price of gas (all of this is tied together...I couldn't pay bills after I bought gas to get to work).

3. For a variety of reasons, it is necessary for me to supplement our income.

4. If I won the lottery/got a huge inheritance (not gonna happen), I would still teach because I love it.

11. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

I am teaching Head Start and am in the teachers union, etc. but there is no where else to go in my program (salary scale-wize). Here in Calif. Head start teachers have there own salary scale and it ends around 33K, unless you are a lead teacher at your site, and none of the leads will give up their jobs, cause they make around 9K more. I want to teach children a little older, as I love my students best at the END of the year when they are ready for Kinder. So, I am looking for Kinder or 1st. .

12. hscass

hscass Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

Well I had planned on minoring in secondary ed., but due to the surprise that is now my 19 month old son, I had to change my minor. There was no way to do unpaid student teaching with a newborn (my hubby and I were both in college...I actually graduated a semester before him!). So I have been a stay at home mom since before I graduated in the summer of '06 (it was actually cheaper to SAH than to pay for childcare) and I am now in an Alternative Certification program. As long as I get to teach eventually, I will be happy....this is the only profession I can see myself doing regardless of pay.

13. excite

excite Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I graduated in 2004.
    Preschool Teacher (2004-2005) left after a year because I wanted to get my Elem Ed. certificate and work in public schools
    Grad School (2005-2006)
    Now here I am applying for public school employment for the first time. Although it is extremely tough to get an interview here in New Jersey...only went to one so far.

14. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

In response to: Exclaimation Po Member
    who said:

"I a) am a career changer, b) was non re-elected to my first year teaching job, and c) even if I was asked back, I have fundamental differences with my previous school district."

One of the three above fit my reasoning for seeking another teaching job. Which brings me to a question regarding "b)" - "was non re-elected to my first year teaching job." I'm assuming you mean your contract was not renewed? As a first year teacher I'm learning eons about how the educational process works. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in my three decades of working in Corporate America, where I held a lot of different jobs and careers. I was asked to come back to my school next year. After I signed another contract I had second thoughts - internal politics that were very difficult to survive under for the best, much less the not-so-effective teachers - but my better half's job situation changed toward the end of last year and it was pretty apparent we were going to have to move to a different area. So I resigned shortly after school was out - without another job to go to - I know this is NOT the way most teachers resign - simply because I wrongly assumed due to my field (Special Education) I'd not have any trouble getting another one. Lots of interviews later either the jobs were really not a good fit (in specific areas that I had little to no experience in) or the personality of the hiring managers was not a good fit, or my lack of experience (one year).

My question is, what has been your experience in the ease or difficulty in getting a good reference from principals when your contracts are not renewed? I noticed on the applications I've filled out in districts - at least in my state (Texas) - this is one of the first questions asked. Even the best of teachers - for a variety of reasons - may find their contracts are not renewed, but I was just wondering if this is - or is not - normally a glitch in getting rehired in other districts.

Your thoughts would be welcomed. This is not my situation, but I realize in the world of teaching none of us are immune to this happening if two heads differ that much.

15. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I was not renewed during my first year teaching. There was no explanation. However, the principal (who also "resigned") was difficult, to say the least. It was common knowledge in the entire area that he had "issues." There was no way I was going to ask him for a letter of recommendation. I got letters from teachers I worked with, who saw me everyday and knew what I had gone through that very difficult year. My situation is, however, unique, I would guess. I was able to get hired again, only to resign this year for a variety of reasons that made it extremely difficult to work at that school. I know one individual who has been teaching 16-17 years, had been let go (not renewed) a couple of times, and forced to resign at her last position due to politics (by then she was an administrator) and has always been able to recover and get another position. So, I think some districts can see the "diamond in the rough" and some don't want to bother or take a chance.

Let me know if you or anyone else can tell me what schools are looking for. I'm at a loss.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2007

I was just hired on Wednesday. So I was searching. I was looking because after three yrs of looking for a job and not finding one close to home I took one 230 miles out in the middle of the woods. This job is closer to home (1 mile lol).

17. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I've been out of school since May of '06. I subbed this past school year, but I want my own classroom so badly that I'm now willing to relocate my family just to have that. I've got some interviews in the coming weeks...so hopefully the classroom of my dreams is waiting for me!!! The strange thing is, all they calls I've gotten have been for 5th grade....hmmmmm.. :)

18. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I made a career change 12 years ago. I worked in Aerospace for 18 years. I worked on my emergency credential and was trying to pass the CSET. I passed 2 parts of the CSET, then I was diagnoised with a brain tumor. That was the same year my emergency expired and the district would keep me on for benefits for 1 year. I then had to apply for a 30 day credential. After 1 year and 3 months I received my Professional Clear Credential. I then had to complete the CLAD certificate. I completed that and now I am trying to get back to my district that I worked for or I've applied at 10 other districts. Still Waiting...........It is so HARD TO WAIT....

19. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I'm searching for the third summer in a row. I graduated in 2005 and was hired as a long-term sub for the 2005-2006 school year. Then this past school year I taught 3rd grade at a private Christian school. My job is still there if I want it, but I'm looking, once again, for a permanent public school position.

20. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I was hired in mid-May.

To make it simple: I'm a military wife

I took a year off to stay home with my daughter that streched to three because of deployments and timing of moving. We finally got orders and I applied.

I'm very lucky to be a music teacher in MI. Otherwise I would have been out of luck.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

Meatball77-I'm a military wife too. I have certification in elementary education and vocal music education k-12. I'm lucky that my husband will probably be stationed at the same base for 5 years-lots of time for me to work.

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 15, 2007

What branch far and meat?

23. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I am none of the above. I taught for 4 years, stayed home with my kids for 3, and now I'm ready to get back in!

24. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

My husband's in the Air Force.

25. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

My husband is Army. We'll be here four years (five-six if we can find a school for him to do his masters in the area).

26. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 15, 2007

I am job searching because I currently work with big kids and would like to work with little or medium kids. :)

27. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I am a career changer, although every single job I have had prior to this has involved some form of tutoring, teaching, etc. of other people, so maybe not??? I'm in my 40s and have a
    BA in history. I am almost finished with the alternative certification program in which I am enrolled.

28. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 16, 2007

I guess you would call me a career changer. I have a B.S. in Finance ended up losing my job because the company went bankrupt. Fell into subbing for its flexibility and loved it. I heard VERY negative things about ACP and decided to get my master's in education. I did the master's including student teaching.

29. Margie18

Margie18 Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I want to move to be closer to my family soooo badly. I've already resigned my job in Ohio, and my husband and I plan to move come hell or high water. If I don't get a job anywhere near our family in Michigan, I'll go back to school for an alternate certification.

30. alphabet

alphabet Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I graduated two years ago, subbed for a semseter, and took a LTS job last year. Now I'm looking for something for this year.

I think getting into the swing of the interview process is the hardest. I've been on 11 interviews this year so far, one job fair, and I'm going to the Chicago Public school fair this Friday. I have another job interview this Wed. midstate. I interviewed 10 times last year before accepting the sub job mid-august.

I'm not giving up until mid Aug this year either, but man, it's getting totally depressing. I keep all my rejection letters and I could probably bind them into a book by now.

31. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

vsimpkins said:

>I completed that and now I am trying to get back to my district that I worked for or I've applied at 10 other districts. Still Waiting...........It is so HARD TO WAIT....

I feel your pain. When I turned in my resignation in June I had no earthly idea how hard it would be to get rehired in other districts. I have been given great accolades (or so I was told) was asked to come back (I am having second thoughts now about resigning, ugh!) but decided to pursue other areas. I am certified in what I've heard is a 'high-needs' or 'hard-to-fill' certified area: special education. However, I somehow (duh!) forgot I've only got one year experience and I'm alternatively certified at that. I was told I did a great job last year with my kids (worked in a Title 1, low-socio-economic school). They did well on their state exams.

I have sent individual emails with attachments to principals - even when the schools didn't have openings posted on their websites - I bet in the past 5/6 weeks I've sent out at least two hundred! I've had a lot of interviews but it ends there. Very frustrating. Some of the positions I know I'm not the most qualified for (Life Skills or Behavior, etc.) but I thought i'd have been hired by now...

I can tell you coming from Corp. America getting another job is far different an experience as I've had with teaching. You look for openings in your field, send a resume, followup with a phone call (if possible), sign up to job boards, and you DON'T list your direct boss as a reference at first. What I discovered is you are almost surely not to be considered if you don't list your former (or current) principal on applications; at last in my state.

Is that the case in yours? Not that I would expect any bad comments if he was called; still, it's a bit unsettling to think that I have to let my boss know I'm even looking for another teaching job BEFORE I can apply!

32. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

How many of you who have worked as a teacher in the past and who are now looking for another job have put together portfolios to take to the interviews? Are you also taking copies of your evaluations? Or has anyone interviewing you asked for them?

33. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Yes, I take a portfolio. I have a really good eval in it. No one has ever asked for an example of anything I've ever done, although I use it when I need to provide an example, backup for what I say, lead in to what I do in a certain situation, etc. Actually, for the interviews that I have taken a portfolio (or mini-portfolio)on, the interviewers act like it's a whole new, cool thing. I don't think anyone in my area does this, although I have a friend who used hers, got a job, but the principal didn't really care about the portfolio. He was only interested in what she had to say. So each are different. I got good comments about the portfolio, but still didn't get hired. It's kinda nice when you are asked about say, a type of lesson, an example of a student's work, etc., you can just turn to it and whammo, there's the evidence. But, I think you have to use the portfolio proactively, not just toss it at them and let them leaf through it. Use it to backup what you say. Therefore, choose what you want in it very carefully.

34. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

Oh, yeah. This is a different world out here. Job hunting in the corp sector is a whole different eggroll. I was blindsided at first because I had to use that type of skill to look for a teaching job and didn't understand that it's done differently in education. For instance, if I were looking for another banking/financial services job, I would discretely look...everyone knows the score and potential employers always ask (and usually honor) if they can contact your current employer. There is a certain decorum. Now, in education, I've filled out plenty of applications that ask if they can contact your current principal/superintendent but I get the impression that you dare not say *no* cuz that sets off red flags. I have had to relearn the skills for a whole new world. They didn't teach us that in the college of education where I studied.

35. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

It is really nice that we share the same pain together. I have an interview Thursday in a district that is 40 miles away. It's not over until the fat lady sings. Good Luck Everyone, someone wants us and will truly be blessed if they hire us.

36. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

I spent two hours tonight talking with someone who has spent three decades+ in education; just recently retired from the district I just left. After 13 interviews in 5 weeks and no offers (three I still haven't heard yay or nay from) I had to believe something was terribly wrong. So I sought this professional's advice. What I was trying to determine was three-fold. My former principal never indicated there was anything wrong with my performance; in fact, went out of his way to tell me how great a job I'd done this year. He even told me to let him know if I needed help with references the last day we talked. But, despite these words, could he have had second thoughts and have given other principals negative comments about my past performance? Was it something I said or did in the interview? I hate to even bring up the next question, but it's an unspoken reality. Could it be my age? (I am 53, but look far younger).

After going into as much detail as I could I shared with her some of the conversations I'd had in these interviews about my past experience as a teacher. She has worked as a principal as well as an administrator in other areas of the district, so she's had direct experience interviewing teachers for jobs she had to fill. I think she may have hit the nail on the head; at least in my case.

I've been working in a very tough, at-risk school. Very little to no parent involvement. It goes without saying I've had a lot of challenges this past year, not only as a first-year teacher but in learning how to operate in my chosen field: special education. I had a lot of support from some angelic, dedicated teachers and staff this past year. Let's just say, huge 'wakeup call.'

In almost every interview I have elaborated on the challenges I faced in this tough school; how I dealt with the issues facing me and the successes I'd had. Regarding questions about classroom management I told them the truth: that I broke up many fights or near-fights and had students whose behavior was so challenging that the behavior teacher had to escort them to my classes. I mentioned the difficulty I had accepting these issues. I mentioned the police officers that walk the grounds and our hallways from early morning until long after school is out. In other words I thought visualizing for them the environment I worked in and still managed to be successful in would help make me SEEM more capable to them.

Yet the districts I've been applying to work in do NOT have this type of student population or challenges. Or at least not to this degree. This seasoned, retired administrator told me I probably have 'scared some of these interviewers' to death. Meaning: I didn't paint the most positive picture. Some of these principals may admire how I've managed to excel in this type of environment but may worry I would bring this kind of negativity to THEM. WOW...I had never thought of that.

It's human nature to gravitate to someone who you can relate to. I may have not shown them how well I would 'fit in' to their less violent environment. Even though I know I can. I didn't explain to them how I could.

Just food for thought. Chances are few of you would ever make the mistakes I may have made in my interviews. I'm chalking this up to a very positive learning experience. Starting right now I'm going to make sure every answer I give will have a positive spin on it, no matter how difficult an issue it might be I'm discussing.

Thoughts or experiences from any one else?

37. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

Logicrules, she gave you some great insight!! She is right. Most people interview on personality and personal connection. Thanks for bringing this up. I will take this into consideration if/when I interview anymore this summer.

38. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2007

Vsimpkins, where is your interview? Just curious, I am in Palmdale.

39. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

I'm hunting too. I got my certs back when i graduated college in the early 90's, but after subbing and teaching in preschools my dad died. I felt that I needed to be able to contribute an income (I was living at home). So I got a job in an office and ended up staying there for 10 years while hubby got established as an entertainer in this area. Last August I was laid off and decided it was my turn to chase my dream, so I have been sending out resume packets to every school district under the sun and praying that something happens for me. No luck so far - I did a turn as an aide last year - but the market is so tight!

Willsgirl - I completely agree with you. Job hunting in corp America is WAY different than job hunting in the education world. Also, in the real world, you are hired because of your experience and paid for it. In education, if you are a seasoned professional, it is hard to get a job because you "cost too much." Its a different animal!

40. logicrules

logicrules Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Background check taking forever!

Perhaps it's just my patience (sometimes about the level of a buzzard! smile). I just got a job offer last week (Tues. July 31). Principal turned in HR paperwork on Thursday. I haven't signed my contract yet because they are waiting to get my background (criminal I presume) check back. But it's getting SO close to orientation and school starting, I'm really getting stressed. I can only imagine how stressed those in the districts are with many still-open positions left unfilled.

Does anyone know how long it should normally take to get one of these processed? The HR orientation is scheduled for this Thursday, Aug. 9, at 1 p.m. That's two days away. I pray nothing gets caught in a snag (there should not be anything negative on my criminal past - at all). Still...I'm a worry-wort.

Just thought someone here might know. I'm in Texas; every state's processing may be different.

41. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Career change.

Joined the Navy out of High School, spent 9 years on submarines. Got out, went to college (Temple U.) but was offered a great job in the middle of my sophomore year (1995 - gotta love those early days of the internet boom). Finished my undergrad degree at night while working full time. Got tired of all of the stress, long hours, and BS associated with being in the tech industry and went back to school for an M.Ed. Been Per Diem and LTS subbing for the past year and a half while also still doing tech stuff, just landed my first full-time contract teaching position, which begins two weeks from today.

Pete