Why are you a teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Mable, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

Was there an event or a course of events that helped you decide to enter the teaching profession? What was your reason(s) for becoming an educator?

I wanted to be the teacher I never had.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2005

I fell into it but chance. I was a music major at first, and then changed about two years into it. I decided to teach because of a teacher who had such a great impact on my life.......she was awesome and I loved her dearly! Also, my dad has always been very involved in education issues and schools etc. He was the school board president when I graduated from high school. He instilled a love of learning and respect for teachers in all of his children. So, I guess it would be a combination of my favorite teacher and my dad.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2005

I decided when I was five that I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher. I never changed my mind. I love kids, when I am in the classroom I know that this is what I'm supposed to be doing. It's definately something I'm passionate about.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 3, 2005

I had a wonderful fourth grade teacher and I think that may have been when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. My English teacher sophomore year of high school, though is who really helped me make the decision. She was amazing. She did everything she could to keep everyone interested and engaged....she yelled silly things to get people's attention, stood on her desk, reserved the auditorium during our class period so we could act out plays rather than just read them..she was great.
    When I started working at an after school program in 11th grade and then interned in a preschool in 12th, I realized that upper elementary was my favorite age and I decided on elementary ed. as my major in college.

6. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Oct 3, 2005

my band director had a huge impact on my life, and I basically wanted to follow in his footsteps

(looks like I may have an opportunity to work with him starting next year!)

7. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 3, 2005

I had many good teachers and a few bad ones. They all inluenced me to become a teacher in different ways. I wanted to make difference in kids' lives, like the good ones did for me :D and the bad ones didn't do. :( I also wanted to share my passion for things and how can you do it better than by sharing it with fresh young minds. :cool:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2005

Honestly, I never wanted to be a teacher & in a way, I don't now. Being a sub was a step up after working retail jobs during college. By spring of next year, I'll have 2 teaching credentials & an MA in Education, so I've come too far to stop now, but if I had to redo it again, I would probably be a child psychologist, which is what my major was originally (psychology). I'm student teaching now as a matter of fact. I've always wanted a career working w/ kids, but never actually a teacher, mainly because I know kids are bad these days.

The way I came into this is because one of my parents works at a school district & suggested I get into a special ed teacher program that was starting at the district where supposedly I didn't have to drive on campus to take the classes, but it didn't end up staying like that. After a few classes that were held at the district, it pretty much fell through & the rest of the classes were on campus, which by the way is the same college I had attended for my BA degree. Overall, do I really like teaching?...it's ok, but I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it & that's too bad because life is too short to have a career for numerous years w/o it being something I really, really want.

If money was no object & I was wealthy, I'd still want to go on to get a Ph.D. in something really interesting like anthropology or something. Not necessarily something I'd ever use, but purely because I think it's interesting.

9. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Oct 3, 2005

I originally didn't think I wanted to teach either. I started out as an elementary ed/Spanish major in university, decided I wasn't interested in elementary ed and switched to secondary, toyed with the idea of dropping secondary ed as well because I was more interested in interpreting/translation, etc., etc. After university, I felt like travelling for a couple of years, and teaching English was a good way to do it. I fell into the job I have now and discovered I love teaching early childhood. I should have kept my original elementary ed major, but oh well. I'll be going back to school to get elementary ed certification in the fall.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 3, 2005

I had absolutely no plans to be a teacher. In fact I was dead set against it. Everyone (family and friends) all told me what a wonderful teacher I would be. I said, "Nope, that's a girl job." To make a long story short, after being injured in a car accident and laying out due to surgery and therapy I just wanted to finish. At the community school I was attending I had the choice of General Studies, Buisness, Nursing, or Teaching. It seemed the lesser of the the evils. Once I got into Dr. Rundell's class, though, I was hooked. Now I can't imagine doing anything else! :)

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 3, 2005

I'm not a teacher in the sense that you guys are, but can I share, too?

I wanted to homeschool for plenty of reasons. What I like the best, though, is seeing Jeannie when she 'gets' something.
    There's so much to share with her and make her aware of!

The reward for me is times like the other day, when we were looking at something online. The word Pizazz was on the site. Jeannie looked at it and said,' Hey, look! There's the word 'pizzas'!'
    I thought that was very cool!

12. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 4, 2005

I love those "Ah HA!" moments becky! It's almost like you see the light bulb go on for them!

I think the teacher gene has always been in me. I used to play school with my younger cousins when I was in Kinder, for some reason they got the idea I was "bossy" :rolleyes: I was so excited about learning to read I just wanted them to be able to too! In 5th grade my teacher was best friends with the spe ed teacher & we spent a lot of time with her class. About the same time "A Circle of Children" (a story about a spe ed school) aired on TV & it made a huge impact on me. I knew I wanted to teach & I knew I wanted spe ed. Fast forward college/kids/marriage, I started subbing as an aide when my little one started kinder. My first gig was spe ed pre-k. I was hooked! It really motivated me to finish my degree & credential.

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Oct 4, 2005

I have wanted to teach ever since I can remember. I LOVED school, begged my Mom to let me go even when I was sick. It is a passion, part of who I am. I cannot imagine not ever being part of it. I love knowing that I can make a difference, no matter how small. It keeps me young. I could go on and on.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 4, 2005

I remember in high school deciding I wanted to be a teacher. I never like elementary school. I didn't have great teachers and I really struggled academically. In high school I had a few teachers who made a hugh impact on me. When I went to college I knew I wanted to be an early childhood major. I had one professor Dr. R who was wonderful. She taught me and my class a lot and I miss her greatly.
    It also runs in the family, my aunts, and grandmother were teachers. My 2 cousins and I are now teachers too.

15. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 4, 2005

I never had an inkling that I could be a teacher. I just never saw it on my horizon. However, after having kids of my own, and a career in the "legal" world, I wanted to be the kind of teacher that I would want for MY children. I was totally changed after having my kids and could not go back to the job I had.

I should have known I would love teaching though, I am one of those "crazies" that loves the sounds and smells of school! I love new school supplies and seeing how excited children get when they get them. My favorite place to shop is at a teacher store or Office Depot! I just wanted to be where the children are and be a part of making them feel safe, happy and SMART! Gee, too bad I didn't get a job this year!

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 4, 2005

It's when I first saw a student experience an "ah ha" moment that I knew the classroom is where I belong. I think everyone has some doubts about how well they'll do as a teacher, even if it's all they've ever wanted to do. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I wanted to teach for a very long time, but I knew it was for me when I did my pre-practicum in a 6th grade last year. We were working on reading and social studies with them and they were so engaged with the lessons my partner and I did and really seemed to "get it." Those moments are the best.

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Oct 5, 2005

For me being a teacher was always on the list, along with a few science related jobs. The career was to be my day job. I would write books in my spare time ( :p what spare time--to be seven again :rolleyes: ) I still love to write, but on my own terms--for fun. No deadlines, no hate letters. I'd love to publish a novel one day, but I'm not in a rush.

I did get into journalism in high school but after working on a college paper for a year I hated journalism with every fiber of my being. But, I was afraid it would prove my fifth grade teacher right if I did change my major. I would be a worthless quitter. I got the push I needed when the Journalism program at UNM pulled out of accreditation a few years ago. So I went back to my first love. The game I would play with my stuffed animals. I still had my passion right there...teaching. I love student teaching, most days. I'm fearful of liabilities in teaching, but I just tell myself it will be ok. Most of the nerve wreckers are from methods classes. I'm usually :love: satisfied now, I don't always come home depressed and miserable.

18. abcstudent

abcstudent Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

I had very bad experiences with teachers.....
    I remember 4 teachers from different grades!
    No matter how hard I studied or raised my hand, they would never take me, and they would always find lots of excuses to give me bad scores. I got many times punished without doing anything.
    It has something to do with....
    I'm mix-blooded, I felt shame for what I am :(

Another PE teacher, I noticed she had never paid attention when it was my turn. After several months she gave out scores, mine was really bad. I asked her why, she said I shall look at myself, I'm short... WHAT A REASON! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: talking about these makes me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hated school....but everything had changed to my own good from grade level 10. The teachers were very friendly, protective and supportive.
    I started to accept myself, and was proud of what I am.

I'm bac k to school, this time as a teacher. If I find a teacher does something wrong to a student I would protect this student immediately, instead of looking away.........

19. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Oct 8, 2005

Good for You! I vowed to do the same because as much as I hate to say it, there are bad teachers out there teaching our children and it just proves what an impact we can have! I'm determined for MY impact to be POSITIVE! :D

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2005

I've wanted to teach since I was 4 years old...at least thats the earliest I can remember wanting to teach. I've always loved kids and wanted to make a difference.

I think my first inkling came when I was 4 years old. My mom had just died and my dad (also a teacher) snuck me into his junior high classroom because he didn't have a babysitter for me (obviously this was back in 1985...I don't think we'd be able to get away with that today!). I used to boss his junior high students around and I loved it! I think thats when I knew it, but it was a total power thing at the time.

Now its because I love seeing the kids make progress through the year and I love knowing I made a difference. Having parents write letters requesting their child have me for 3rd grade after 2nd...that reminded me why I do this job and that I must do something right! :)

21. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2005

Made me think of when I was young. I started "teaching" since the time I can remember- had my own classroom in the basement. I even had an old school desk that I put in a Radio Flyer and pull it around taking periodic stops to "learn". My mom used to have photos of me in my desk (still up on the wagon) studying. This was before I could start. And I was so mad when I was younger because I couldn't start Kindergarten because I was a December birthday. Boy, was I ready to go to school and I have been going ever since.