Why are we Miss So & So?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by msj, Mar 7, 2010.

1. msj

msj Companion

Mar 7, 2010

At my center, everyone is Miss Anne, Miss Jane, Etc. Eventhough most of us are married. So my question is...How many of you go by Miss (Your first name)? What kind of school do you work at? Private, Public, Church, Etc.

I have been thinking about changing this next fall. I'm a professional, and I'm married. I think I should be called Mrs. (Last Name). I teach pre-K. My last name is not hard to say, and the children will be expected to call their K teacher Mrs. So and So. I will be the only person at my center who goes by their last name.

3. MissR

MissR Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

When I taught preschool in a daycare setting, the kids did not use our last names, but I don't think it would be a bad thing. You can't get hung up on Mrs. versus Miss though, because for a lot of kids Mrs. is just harder to say. Now I am in a public school teaching 1st grade and go by Mrs. LastName, but I'd say MOST of the kids just say Miss LastName because it's quicker and easier.

I didn't mind the less formal name in preschool, but if you have the choice, have them call you whatever makes you more comfortable. I don't think the kids will mind one bit! Does your director care either way?

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

Well, I'm a MISTER and while all the kids in MY class call me Mr. all the kindergarten kids in the rest of the school call me MRS. which always makes me cringe... I just wave back and smile. I think they think Mrs. = teacher. At least I hope that's what they think...

5. amaran20

amaran20 Rookie

Mar 7, 2010

:p haha :p

I don't think many kids really know the difference between Mrs. and Miss. I'm Miss G to my prek kids because my last name is hard to say, but the older kids at my school call me Miss LastName.

6. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 7, 2010

Where I live, as children, we also refer to older friends of the family as Miss Firstname. When people move into the area, they are always curious why kids don't either use first names or Miss/Mrs. Lastname.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2010

I think you should be able to define what you are called within the school culture. In my district, many female teachers go by Ms...I personally like being MRS...and that's how I ask to be called.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2010

I'm Mrs.(last name). It isn't hard to say and I guess I like the old fashioned respect. I don't think it hurts in terms of relationship building or is unfriendly so why not?

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 7, 2010

I agree - with me it's a respect thing... the kids in my class KNOW my first name - I use it all the time... they just don't call me by it.

10. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Mar 7, 2010

At my previous child care center, I was called Miss (first name). I'm single, not married, but I still rather go by Ms. (last name) rather than first name, which is what I chose to do at my current center (some teachers use first name, some use last name). My last name IS harder to say though, too, but after a couple days the kids got it just fine. I think part of it was because before I finished school and was just an assistant I always went by Miss(first name), so now it makes me feel a bit more professional or more like an actual teacher or something using my last name, haha. I don't think the Ms/Mrs thing is a big deal to me. I get called 'Mrs' a lot, and I know a lot of teachers who get called 'Ms' when they are a Mrs.

11. Kase

Kase Companion

Mar 7, 2010

My toddlers can barely say my name which is Kasey. When they say it, it's "CeeCee". So I don't even enforce the Miss part.

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Mar 8, 2010

My associate teacher and I both go by Mrs. and our first names however, a lot of the children still call us "teacher".

13. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

We got by Mrs. Last Name at our school. For me I feel like we are preparing them for public education where they will be Mrs. Last Name. We even have a 2 year old program where they use last names.

14. greengables

greengables Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

I teach in a SMALL rural area. A lot of staff have the same last name and some of the single teachers are known as Miss First Name just to differentiate them from others with the same surname. Also, it may be a southern custom to call women Miss So-and-So, regardless of marital status.

15. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Mar 8, 2010

I just let the kids call me by my first name.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 9, 2010

1st teaching job: public school, blended typical/sped preschool, I had all sped. I was miss (firstname). All the preschool classes did that, so I wa being consistent.

next teaching job: chain preschool... teachers on the 'older side" (3's and up) were Miss/Mrs. Lastname, "younger side" (infant-2's) were Miss Firstname. If it was hard to say, some teachers shortened it. I don't think the kids noticed that some of us were first names and some were last names, though... probably the parents noticed it but to the kids, it was just our name.

Next: LTS, At-Risk PreK, 4's, public school: Miss LastName like the rest of the building. My assistant, by her choice, was Miss FirstName because she just didn't like her last name. Her choice ;)

Now: Public. The other preschool teacher and I both just do Miss LastInitial. Most of our kids have speech delays, so I'll go for calling me ANYTHING :) Both my TA's are Miss FirstName, again by their choice. My speech path is Miss FirstInitial, but our OT and PT both use Miss FirstName. The TA's next door, one is Miss FirstName and the other is Mrs. LastInitial.

The older kids call us by our full last names, though.

17. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Mar 9, 2010

That's funny that you should mention it. I would like to change that practice at my center as well. I would be the only one doing it though... even the director is Miss First Name, and she's married.

18. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 9, 2010

Miss vs. Mrs.

I think that is a reasonable expectation for you to be Mrs. (Last Name), as long as you don't mind a bit of stumbling along the way. I recently got married and have gone from Miss (First Name) to Mrs. (First Name.) The kids all had a hard time at first but helped each other remember after awhile. Have you talked to your colleagues about it? Maybe there is a reason why first names only are used?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  19. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Mar 10, 2010

I've always wondered about this as well. My kids call me Miss firstname and it's okay. I teach in a private school.

20. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

Here a lot of women go by Miss FirstName, regardless of marital status. I'd also guess that it's common in the preschool level to use "Miss" because it's easier for the kids to say "Miss" than "Mrs." since "Mrs." has that extra syllable.

21. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 10, 2010

It's that way at my school. I like it. You don't have to remember who's married and who's not :)

22. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 11, 2010

I go by Miss and my last name when I sub cuz' thats what I am supoose to go by when I get a job teaching preschoolers I will go by Miss and first name if thats what my school/center uses. There is one teacher who I sub for often who makes stresses the MRS to her kids so it does not sound like Miss or MS. and she teaches kinder.

23. ECE123

ECE123 Rookie

Mar 16, 2010

I have used Ms. and my last name for many years now, even when teaching pre-k self contained, and every year I get parents who say "oh, they'll never be able to say that...." I then tell the parents to have high expectations, and their kids always can...even if it it's a shortened version of my actual last name. It's getting them ready for Kindergarten and, I have a degree and deserve to be treated just like all the other teachers.

24. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Mar 17, 2010

A man being called Mrs. made me laugh. lol. In preschool I suppose it might have to do with them being so young and understanding maybe? I'm sure they would ask for our first names and maybe call us by them anyhow haha. The only time I really find it odd is in the older grades. I was in a middle school classroom for a field experience and the teacher was Mrs. "Smith" and the aide was Miss "Kathy." I think that has to do with the status of the teacher and shouldn't be done. I think that if the teachers are called by their last names then the aides should be as well.

25. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Mar 17, 2010

I go by Miss First Name at my church where I teach middle school Sunday School, but Miss Last Name at my school which is a public middle school. Going by miss vs. ms. does not bother me because my name has a lot of the "S" sound in and and Ms. (with a zzz) sound is hard to say with my last name. The kids know I'm not married, so whatever!

26. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Mar 23, 2010

we jsut go by our first names, unless there are two teachers with the same first anme then it firstname last initial. We don't associate the naem with respect--it's how it's used