Why are teachers the new interviewers???

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SPEDteach1017, Aug 5, 2013.

1. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Just wondering... for all but 1 interview I've been on, there have been 1-6 teachers sitting in on my interviews. :confused:

They are always asking scripted questions on the interviews, and I just wonder, what is the point? Does each teacher have say on the candidate? Why can't just the P do the interviewing? What if 1 person doesn't like you or how you interviewed!?

I feel that having so many people interviewing me just makes me more stressed, thus, my interview doesn't feel as good as it could have been! Plus, how can you really connect with that many people in a short amount of time? :(

If anyone can share their insight, that would be greatly appreciated!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

It could be that they're looking for a teammate. If they don't get a good vibe from a candidate during an interview, it's likely that they won't work well together on a team. Teachers who have to work directly with the new hire are a better judge of that sort of thing than a principal who is pretty removed from the action.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 5, 2013

I would want to be on the committee if we were hiring a new English teacher. I would be working with that person very closely.

5. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I agree with Caesar. I've heard of team teachers being on an interview when they are looking for a new teacher on their team. I've heard of department heads (who are teachers as well) sitting in on interviews as well. Also if they have a specific teacher who they use as their "mentor" teacher for any new teachers. I don't know if that's here only, but any new teacher (first year full time) gets assigned a mentor teacher.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2013

We have a site-based team that sits in on interviews. They do have a say in who gets hired, but the P has the final say.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2013

I've only been on one interview that didn't include other teachers, and it was much easier to "connect" with just one person (I was offered the job, but accepted another offer instead). I think the teachers are there to see if the person is a "good fit" with the building or their team. I did have one district that I'd done 3 interviews and a demo lesson for and the "last step" was meeting with my future team. On that day, only one teammate out of 3 was there and she clearly didn't like me. I'm sure that's why I didn't get an offer (I'd previously been told I was the top candidate) and I wondered if it would have been different if all of the teammates were there rather than just her. It was upsetting at the time to lose a job because of one 20 minute meeting with another teacher. I think it's hard to tell what someone will be like to work with in such a short time. My team and I last year weren't really convinced when we met each other for the first time, and we ended up being the BEST fit. They truly were my little family at work last year and some of my closest friend still despite a large age difference. If they had been "interviewing" me rather than just meeting me after I had the job already, they very likely could have said no, they wanted someone else, and we would have missed out on all of that. I did get another job this year and from what I've heard the district I'm going to is MUCH better than that one, so it really did work out for the best.

8. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Every interview committee I have served on has been a mix of teachers and administrators. I think it's better that way. I don't like my chances being at the whim of just one person.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

I've served on committees- my P always wanted a collaborative decision. She required at least one K-2 and one 3-5 rep.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

This is similar to how it goes in my district except the teachers on the team tend to be the ones who will work closest with whoever is hired.

11. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 5, 2013

I was on two interview committees. My presence made no difference as I just read the scripted questions, like the OP said. Plus, I'm a new teacher, so I don't have any clout. Waste of time in my case.

12. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 5, 2013

I sit in on interviews for my school sometimes. It is usually because the teachers are giving feedback about personality and qualifications of the candidate. To me personality goes further than credentials and I won't recommend someone to be hired if I think they won't fit with the team.

13. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 5, 2013

It's been like that in my area forever. I can see the necessity for team members to have input, but it does also mean they all have to come to consensus on a finalist. Very good people can be eliminated just because one person doesn't like them, for who knows what reason.

A recent hiring committee at my husbsnd's school recently took almost three months and three rounds of candidates to finally select one teacher. It was ridiculous and frankly they were becoming the laughingstock of the district. I don't know why the p let it go on. They interviewed and lost dozens of fantastic candidates.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

It's not team consensus necessarily on my school committee...everyone gets to offer input, but ultimately it's the P's decision.

15. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

I know at the school I was hired at, they let the team of teachers you will be working pick who is hired. I think this is good and while I hated being interviewed by 5 people, I at least think its better to be judged by teachers than a superintendent who is either out of the classroom for a long time or has never been in the classroom at all.

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

We even have students on the hiring committee. And, I was interviewed by a group that included 2 students when I was hired at my current school.

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

We are required to have principal, teachers, a parent, and a community member. I think it works to the advantage of candidates. We discuss and vote.

18. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

I agree with this completely. In fact, every job offer I have received was when I interviewed with more than one person, and teachers were almost always on the interview committee.

As others have mentioned, when I am on an interview committee, one of the major things I am looking for is who is the best fit with the team. The people who will be working directly with the person who is hired often have a better sense of that than the principal.

One more thing... From the perspective of the person being interviewed... If I go in for an interview and there is a panel, it tells me that the school is collaborative and that teachers and administrators work together. If I only interview with the principal, it could be a sign of a controlling principal who is not flexible or a team player, which is something that I need to know before accepting a job there.

19. SPEDteach1017

SPEDteach1017 Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

Thanks everyone for your responses! It's good to hear so many varied responses!

I would like to hear more from teachers who have been on interview committees, and what the decision process was like.

Anyone?

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

I haven't been on a committee but I was interviewed by three teachers and the super for my job. The teachers had A LOT of say.

21. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

Yes, they definitely want to see who will "click" with the team. This can be rough because you may be able to work with anyone, but have to say the right thing during that interview to be selected. I do like the idea of having a teacher there to ask me questions that relate to the classroom since there have been so many recent developments, even within my state. Sometimes I have a teacher ask how I would present a certain topic - can be rough to come up with something on a whim, rather than have hours to plan a lesson on that topic. I am fine with both the team method and principal only.

22. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 6, 2013

I was on the interview committee at my first school. The P did have final say, but most of the time she really listened to the other teachers. Like others said, we talked about how the person's philosophy might fit in our building or if they could bring something new to the table for us. After each candidate we took a few minutes to debrief and went around the table sharing what we each thought. Sometimes we would ask clarifying questions to see if other people picked up on something we did or mention things that stood out to us. At the end of the entire process we each voted on who we thought the strongest candidate was. More often than not, there was a clear winner and we all pretty much agreed. At one point a teacher working part time in our building interviewed for a full time 5th grade position and she just interviewed horribly. Socially, we liked her, but we had to admit that the other candidates interviewed much better. The P ended up choosing her anyway because she said she knew she would do a good job. At another point we interviewed for a title 1 position and we didn't like any of the candidates. There were three...one literally called it the "dumb kid class" and another said she left her last school because it had "too many mexicans" (our population was at least 85% hispanic). The 3rd didn't necessarily put her foot in her mouth but she wasn't very convincing either. The P said that only 6 people had applied and the other 3 had terrible resumes/cover letters and we just couldn't wait any longer (school had already started). So we ended up choosing the 3rd candidate and she was HORRIBLE! At the school I just left I wasn't on the interview committee but had friends who were. They gave their thoughts on the candidates, but then the P made the decision 100% on her own.

23. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2013

I've been on several interview committees. After the applicant leaves the room at the end of the interview, we take a couple of minutes to comment. We talk about what we liked, if there was anything we didn't like, how we see the applicant fitting into the school and the position.

At that point it's usually time for the next interview.

After we've interviewed everyone (usually at least 3 or 4 people for a vacancy), we individually rank the applicants. Sometimes there are some we all rule out right away. Then we discuss our rankings. Some people change their rankings after hearing the perspectives of others on the committee.

We then try to decide on 1st and 2nd choice. It's not always 100% agreement so we vote if needed. Then principal calls some references and usually lets us know if there is any new information we need to consider.

Principal gets to make final decision but the opinions of the committee carry a heavy weight.

24. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Aug 6, 2013

I'm not sure this is new. This happened over 20 years ago when I was hired as a teacher in the public schools (6 on the committee I believe). I do think it depends on the P. I have had P's who never had interview teams and just hired teachers they knew...that didn't work well.

25. AZALE

AZALE Rookie

Aug 6, 2013

My school generally has 3-4 people on the interview panel. Usually the P and teachers from that department. I love it! As the department chair, I feel like I can get a better feel for the candidate and how they will be in the classroom with our population, our curriculum, etc. than the P can.

I was on vacation this summer when P hired our new English teacher. Last week, the guy he chose decided to not take the position, the day before his contract would have started. I think that teachers can get a better feel for if a candidate is a good fit than administrators.

26. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2013

I've been asked to participate in many interviews along with my dept. team members. My P wanted us to weigh in on her decision since we'd be the one sorting with the new teacher. I've always felt that was the right way to hire someone since it is us, the teachers, who know what it takes to be a part of our own team. We've made great decisions thus far.

27. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

Collaboration is such a big part of education now, not just as an instructional component for students, but as a philosophy for everyone involved. The P wants someone who can work well in a team and bring assets that the other teachers will appreciate.