Why are so many failing?

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by a teacher, Oct 13, 2015.

1. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2015

Well what can I say? If a kid has that situation the teacher would never know. Thankfully there are few that have that kind of mentality. And there are kids who have amazing skills but still fail because they don't turn in their work or follow procedures. At the end of the day there will always be kids who go out of their way to fail. And that's okay! For me the important things is knowing what my part in it is. If the kid is as self-defeatist as you were (no offense) they have pretty much insured they will be miserable.

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 10, 2015

My teacher did know, since he nosed around, observed that I was a top student in everything else, talked to me about it, found out from my parents how hard I was working at home, and continued to probe until he worked out exactly what was going on, and ensured that I got a passing grade that... again... based on ability I certainly didn't earn.

Is that happening with all, or even many of your students? No, probably not. But given that you are calling them lazy and losers (seriously?)... like I said, I suspect the problem isn't that students who are otherwise decent students suddenly just decide not to show any effort in your room.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 11, 2015

I think if you spent some time doing some community building students would do more work for you and the time you spend creating would be much more productive. That's always worked in my experience.

Caesar753, mathmagic and MrsC like this.
  4. a teacher

a teacher Cohort

Nov 11, 2015

But is it so impossible to your thinking that some kids are deciding they will put in effort in some classes but not in others, particularly when the class they chose to be losers and lazy in (yes, seriously) are electives? Our students have eight classes. Considering how unorganized many of them are and considering how little support they get at home, this is a far more likely explanation that your rare example of a great student who is just frustrated.