Why are smart phones in school so taboo?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, May 9, 2014.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

I agree. I didn't mean to imply we should allow the use in class.

2. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

May 11, 2014

When I student taught, I did half Kinder and half 3rd grade. My first day in the 3rd grade classroom the teacher was on her new phone basically the entire day trying to get Taylor Swift tickets; definitely NOT a good example to be set.
    I have my phone on my teacher table during the day on silent. Most of the time I forget it's even out. When we leave the classroom for computer, recess, etc. I take it with me just because you never know when you'll need it.

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 13, 2014

I have one para who has a cell phone, and one para that doesn't have a cell phone. I like that one has a cell phone so that I can communicate with her easily when she is in other areas of the building. I hate that the other doesn't have one because when I need her, she is off chatting away with another staff. I have noticed that those who use smartphones excessively during inappropriate times are the ones who aren't great workers anyway. So the smartphone becomes a scapegoat.

I encourage my ELD students to use social media and other communication apps on their smartphones (appropriately, and with parent's permission, of course). It's a great way for them to see, practice, and use English.

4. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 13, 2014

I keep my phone out during class because my classroom does not have a working clock and most of my coworkers do the same. If I did not have my phone, I would never be able to pace my lessons correctly. However, I do not take calls during the day unless it is an emergency. For example, I *did* take calls when my dad when in the hospital and once when I was in a car accident and didn't know when my car would be fixed. I disagree with another teacher who wrote that this is hypocrisy. I am a single woman living in a state with no family, so there is no one to help me take care of "life" issues. The body shop doesn't care/understand teachers can't answer the phone whenever and if I don't take their call they can't just call my husband to pick up my car. Unlike my students, I would not have a way to get home. I think students understand that when you are adult you have to deal with annoying life stuff. That is not equivalent to them needing to post a selfie of themselves in class on instagram.