Whose in Charge? WARNING: Disgusting video included

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kinderkids, Apr 10, 2008.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

Whose in Charge?

teacher attacked by student
    I am so sick of stories like this! Are they starting to seem commonplace in our schools? What the hell is the matter with our society today? Even the district is failing to act after teachers are attacked.

The teacher is on the bottom. (wearing boots).....as the class cheers on the attacker.

Be sure to watch the interview with the teacher which is after the assult video.

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 10, 2008

Didn't you hear that the art teacher that was attacked was to be blamed because she used a "trigger word" with the student who beat her up:eek:hmy:. I am watching Nancy Grace and one of the lawyers on her show said that the teacher knew that she was in a volitile school and should not have asked the students to turn off the music and that she should not have told the student to sit down :eek:. So far the student has received no consequences... The principal decided against turning over the report that the school resource officer filed to the police...

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

That makes me so angry. Kids should not be able to get away with being so violent because they are under 18. What happened in that class is a crime caught on tape and the school should be shamed for not doing more to protect their teachers. If this is allowed to continue, not only will those children not be able to function in an adult society, but they will continue to commit violent crimes.

5. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Apr 10, 2008

How is it that these kids are not arrested for assult and battery. I would have called 911 myself.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

I have no idea.......but so far, they have not had any consequences!! This is just appalling! The principal claims, "the teacher brought this on herself!"
    Is there any hope????? :(

7. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

This is insane!!! If I were the teacher, I'd be taking the footage to the police station myself and filing assault charges! What do these kids learn if there are no consequences??? What kind of adults do they grow into???? Criminals. What a shame...this disgusts me.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

This is really scary.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2008

That principal is insane. I can't imagine what that teacher did, but I'm sure she didn't deserve to get beat. I think it's sad how the school system is turning its back on the teacher and blaming her.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

What happened to zero tolerance in schools?? Or is that just a one way street?:rolleyes:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2008

This is just sick.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

OMG...that video is horrible.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 10, 2008

This is ridiculous! What has happened to the morality of our country??

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

I can't bring myself to watch the video. I just can't. You know, I can't imagine putting myself in danger just to teach. I like my little pie-in-the-sky private school. Oh, true, everybody knows that at-risk kids need to be reached and good teachers are good role models, blah, blah, blah. Well, good kids from good homes need to be educated, too. I'm not putting my own family at risk, my own safety at risk, for kids who don't deserve it.

15. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

It seems like educators are on the frontline of some invisible war, without any weapons(and I don't mean guns). We must make sure no child is left behind, but we are not provided the means or support to make that happen. This is just appalling.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

Can you imagine if this video scenario was a husband beating up his wife as the crowd cheered him on. And then the police didn't charge him because the wife brought it on herself!!

17. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

Not sure of the date of the video, but I heard today from a coworker that most of the violent crimes in school (including Columbine and Virginia Tech) happened in the month of April. I know these two dates, but I have not independently confirmed the dates of other such crimes. The comment today from the coworker came after we received an e-mail that there was "a very non-specific threat" to the building and just to be aware.

Now, I would not consider my school "dangerous." Sure, some kids can be intense, some kids fight, but nothing intense on a usual basis.

(*sigh*)

18. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

Why April?

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

The Oklahoma City bombing happend on April 19th, too. It will have been 13 years since that awful day. I have no idea why April.

20. smalltowngal

Apr 10, 2008

The Waco, Texas Branch Davidian was in April as well.

21. Mister Teacher

Mister Teacher Companion

Apr 10, 2008

That is indeed disgusting.

At my school, there is an emotionally disturbed third-grader who has been violent a couple of times this year in the classroom. My colleague, his teacher, is petite and pregnant and has actually feared for the safety of herself and her baby. He returns from a suspension tomorrow, and he'll be joining my class.

I can't wait.

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

Hijacking my own thread:

The Bloody Month of April
    Wars that began during the month of April are:

The American Revolution (1775)

The American Civil War (1861)

The Armenian Genocide (1914)

The Bosnian War (1992)

The Rwandan Genocide (1994)

Assassinations during the month of April:

President Abraham Lincoln (1865)

Martin Luther King Jr (1968)

23. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

When do we stop putting violent children's rights above the safety of the teachers and other children in the classroom? Good luck with him. Maybe having a male teacher will help.

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

We can't possibly punish the student. This would damage his/her self esteem, and of course, that's the end all tell of for a kid. Never mind real world consequences for real world behavior. This is just so insane that I can't even comprehend it. I don't care what anybody says, you don't go around beating up people. It's like saying a woman deserved to be raped because she was wearing a short skirt.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2008

I always hear "the next time they do X...."

:sigh:

My school is literally on the border of an inner city and its getting bad around us. In a few more years, I might be reconsidering things...

26. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

How sad... I read about this on Yahoo. Obviously, no support there from the admin. At my school, kids get suspended for just being defiant in speech... like, Whatever, or I don't care.

I'll be praying for that teacher.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

Leigh, I teach in an inner city school, and this is one of those things that does bother me from time to time. I have actually been attacked by a student, but thankfully I was quicker than he was and was able to get out of the way before he did any real damage. Also, my admin is really supportive of the teachers. They always side with us over the kids in these situations unless there is ample evidence to believe that the teachers crossed a line (it hasn't happened yet). My principal is fantastic. She's one of those who expect these kids to actually take responsibility for their actions and maybe turn into decent, functioning adults. She doesn't always succeed, but she probably does better than most.

28. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 10, 2008

The sadder thing too is that the teacher may experience administrative retaliation for going to the media. I appreciate her for coming forward.

29. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 10, 2008

The teacher was on the Today show this morning. The student got in the teacher's personal space - nose to nose. Then the student threatened physical violence to the teacher. The teacher said that she'd defend herself.

Saying that she would defend herself was the supposed "trigger" that the principal was speaking of.
    So ridiculous!

30. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 10, 2008

I believe I heard that there was 112 student acts of violence (didn't specify what portion was verbal or physical) against teachers at this school.

31. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 10, 2008

Gee, I wonder why...considering the administration there is just sooo supportive of it's teachers.

(sorry about the dripping sarcasm.)

32. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Apr 10, 2008

Hitler's birthday was in April too. So is 4/20 day. No idea why April has all these events, but it's not a fun month. I always dread it. I also live in very close to Columbine so that makes it doubly hard.
    Anyway, I probably shouldn't respond tonight because I'm a little sour on admin period right now because of something that happened today where I didn't feel supported(and was yelled at in front of my students) That's another thread though.
    Anyway, I think this is really sad! It is time for teachers to be supported too. We shouldn't have to take the blame for the students' problems all the time. We deserve to be treated like the professionals we are.
    It is horrifying that when teachers try to do the right thing, discipline students, etc, we are the ones that suffer the consequences.

33. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 11, 2008

What is 4/20 day?

34. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 11, 2008

At my school we have teacher training for internet safety. My principal made sure to mention to us at our last meeting for it that if we hear students talking about someone having made a threat online, we need to take it seriously and report it....and tell the kids the same. Even if it's something as simple as a teacher made them mad and they want to do something about it. *sigh* It's a sad sad world....

35. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008

I'm sure teachers are running away from that school. When they don't have any good teachers left and are wondering why they cant make AYP, maybe they will rethink their stance. If I was going to put in an application for this school, I would immediately change my mind. Teaching in a rough school is always hard, but supportive administration make all the difference in the world.

36. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

The only thing I can think of is that it involves a certain plant that when rolled and smoked supposedly makes you feel good.

37. realdocphil

realdocphil Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

Teaching is becoming more and more hazardous.. I am going to try to get back in the Classroom.. it's the only job I can find that pays decently...after 27 yrs...wish me luck![​IMG]

38. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

Just remember that this doesn't happen in every school. In the other two schools I've been in, there was no sign of any violence. The district I'm in now, I don't see it happening either. Its a small rural district and a lot of the these stories are coming out of inner city schools. Not to say it couldn't happen here, but its less likely.

39. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 11, 2008

True, but would it even be getting national coverage if the school handled it better. I feel that these teachers are speaking out because nothing is being done, and they are being blamed. In any school in my district the kid would be expelled without question. The kid in the video has had no consequence. Incidents like this are rare, but I bet they will occur more and more in that district if the kids know that the teacher will be out of a job and they won't even get a slap on the wrist.

40. smalltowngal

Apr 11, 2008

So true. And I know that if something like this did happen here, the admin would discipline the students immediately. I'm proud of these educators for speaking out against an admin that is not supporting them.

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2008

For some reason the video isn't working. Here is an article from the Baltimore Sun about this incident:

here