Who's your cell phone provider and how much do you pay?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Oct 25, 2012

So my friend and I were talking about our cell phone plans over a late dinner today and I learned that we are both getting EXACTLY the same features and benefits (unlimited text, 750 anytime minutes, unlimited data, etc) from our cell phone carriers, except she's paying $70 a month with Sprint and I'm paying $136.00 a month with Verizon.

Oh and Sprint gave her the latest IPhone, whereas I still have the same, crummy Droid with a buggy keyboard that doesn't work half the time and has been replaced 4 times in the last 1.5 years because of that. :eek:

So obviously I'm in the market for a new phone and plan and thought I'd ask on here because as my friend put it, "With what you're paying, you could buy one black and white Kindle a month, or two Kindle DX's":lol:

3. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Oct 25, 2012

I switched from AT&T to Straight Talk. Only pay $45 a month for my phone and it has unlimited everything. The tower it signals from is a Verizon tower, so it works well. I can also use any phone with it, so that's nice. My husband uses his iPhone with it and pays $45 too.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Oct 25, 2012

I have verizon, I have a droid razr with unlimited data, 450 mins, unlimited text to other verizon customers, and 500 for people w/o verizon. I pay $87 a month.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2012

I have a prepaid phone. I pay maybe $150 a year. My service is through AT&T. I have a regular phone like a Blackberry. I call and text. I have Internet, but I rarely use it.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 25, 2012

Em,

I'm paying about $60 more then you (I think ours is close to $200). We have 4 phones on that plan. 3 of them are Droid Charges (they were free). It's not unlimited data, I'm not for sure what it is. I know that my ds, he's 16, had used 75% of his data with only 1 week left in the month. DH & I aren't even close. When it's time for DD to get a new phone she will probably get something with a data plan.

Oh, we have Verizon. We always get whatever the free phone is online.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 25, 2012

I've had T-Mobile for the last year or so. I pay a grand total of $45/mo for 500 talk min & unlimited texting. But just in the mail the other day T-Mobile said they were merging with Metro PCS, but will still be called T-Mobile. They said that as a result of the merge that there will be more plans.

I'vealways had a landline phone too, so I never wanted to pay too much for my cell. I'll be glad when my contract is up. I want to maybe get an iPhone in about a year. In fact, I wanted to switch to Mac products for the 1st time ever. I mainly want an iMac computer.

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2012

I don't have a smart phone, so mine is only about 25 a month. I'm also still on my family's plan and I just pay my mom for the whole year in January (it's cheaper for all of us for me to stay on the plan). I would love to have a smartphone with the data plan, but I just can't justify the cost. I've looked and it seems for me it would be around 90-100 a month. The thing is pretty much everyone else has one, so if I'm out with friends and we need to look something up, there's always someone else that can do it! Occasionally if I'm by myself and need directions or something I'll text someone and ask them to look them up for me. It would be nice to have one, but not worth the price IMO.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 26, 2012

I have Verizon.

Just so you know, if you reup your contract with Verizon, you lose unlimited data.

What phone do you have that has been bugging out so much? One of the cheap free android phones that Verizon offers?

I have a Droid 2 Global (So does my brother), my mom has a "feature phone". So three people on a family plan (Plus Local Government Employee Discount) with 750 minutes, no texting, and unlimited data ($40 a month extra total), it's around $120 a month

10. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2012

I hope everyone who has verizon is getting the 19% teacher discount, if not call and ask for it!

11. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

I have a fancy Tracfone, and it cost $12.00. Unlimited calls and texting, internet access, and I spend about $30.00 every three months to keep it going. No data plan from any outside provider could begin to touch it.

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Oct 26, 2012

Em Catz,
    I'm in the same boat. Right now paying $60/mo with no data through Verizon. My contract was up about a year ago...

Anyway, there is this new service I've been turned on to--Ting. Check it out. I haven't gone and switched yet because I'm a procrastinator, but I really can't think of a reason not to. You can cancel at any time AFAIK (i.e. no contract), and it works off the Sprint network. For my uses, I will cut my phone bill in half or more.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2012

I pay $65 for my phone and data plan .(although the data plan I have doesn't exist anymore, they only have the more expensive ones). I have at&t and an iPhone. My friend has Verizan and pays close to $100. She said it's normal for Verizan to charge more.

14. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2012

Do you know if that is only for public school teachers?

15. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 26, 2012

I have AT&T and I have an iPhone 4S. (I had to look up my plan because I couldn't remember what I even had on it). I have 450 anytime minutes, 5000 night and weekend minutes, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited texting, 2GB data. I pay $84.02 every month and that is with a 17% USF Alumni Discount

16. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 26, 2012

We have US Cellular. In this part of the world it is the only provider that has decent coverage. Hpwever, our cell coverage up here is so bad that twice when my husband has had to call the local 911, it was answered by dispatch in Bend, Oregon, about 200 miles away. We have the nation wide plan, 1500 minutes, 500 texts, and unlimited night and weekend. We pay $94. I would love to change carriers to get more bang for our buck, but Verizion (the other carrier here) simply doesn't have the coverage we need up here. We still have a land line too because of bad cell coverage.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

For four phone lines, unlimited texting on all lines, and two with 3GB data plans, we pay $192 or so a month. We could probably switch to smaller plans, and probably will when my hubby's mom and sister move to their own account soon.

18. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Oct 26, 2012

I have t-mobile I pay $87 /month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited data(it slows down if I use more than 2gbs though). I use probably 100 minutes a month and maybe 40 text messages, but I have my plan mostly for the data because I use a ton of data each month.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2012

This is something that seriously needs to change in the USA. In almost every other country in the world you can buy a cheap SIM card and put it into any phone and get a phone number. But no, the USA has to make it so freaking hard to get a number, and doesn't sell phones that work in any other country with a SIM.(rant over)

I have a prepaid SIM card and I probably put $5 every month on it. But I don't have data or anything fancy. In fact my phone is just a phone. No camera, no internet, just a dial pad.

20. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2012

I'm not 100% sure, i know it is a lot easier if you are because you can just put in your email address online and they know by the domain that you are a teacher (or work in a school) if you don't have a school email, you can ask for the form and attach your paystub....I'm thinking they are not that picky. Worth a try, just call and ask for the form for the teacher discount.

21. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 29, 2012

I use Tracfone too.

It ends up being roughly $6.50 a month because I get the bare-minimum. I try to only use my cell for emergencies and have an Ipod touch for any "must have" smartphone apps. It's rare that I'm not by a WI-FI signal, so my touch works just fine.

If I really need extra minutes for whatever reason, I just buy a higher tiered card for said month, and then back to bare-bones. (The flexibility of no-contract prepaid, I love it.)

I'm one of the few people in the twenty-something generation that despises cell phones. When I sit down with a group of friends, they have my attention - not some LCD screen. I don't say anything, but is that ever a big pet peeve of mine! (Okay, enough off-topic.)

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 29, 2012

Pete, if you buy your minutes online, there are always discount codes, too.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2012

This one sounds the best to me! I need to look into this as soon as my contract's up. Is there a way to just buy an iPhone without any kind of other plan & go straight to this provider? OR did you husband switch to this after his other provider contract was up?

24. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

Keep in mind a lot of cell providers give teacher discounts. I think we get a 15% discount with Verizon wireless.