Who's Who Among Teachers and Educators

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Apple22, May 6, 2008.

1. Apple22

Apple22 New Member

May 6, 2008

I received the letter last spring about being eligible to receive a certificate. But due to moving, I just found the letter. I went online and realized to my disappointment that it was no longer in business. This certificate means a lot to me. If anyone received this award, could I get a copy so my name could be put on it. If you could scan it without your name. My email address is anatnyc@yahoo.com.
    I would appreciate any one who might have an idea for me.

Apple22

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

May 6, 2008

Sorry to burst your bubble, but almost everyone gets this certificate. The reason it is out of business...it was a money scam!

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 6, 2008

I have heard of a lot of these "Who's who" type things and from what I can tell they don't amount to much. Mostly, they want you to buy a book or a plaque.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 6, 2008

Our consensus on this site that the Who's Who letters are scams. We've had many discussions about this topic. If you want to read them do a quick site search.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 6, 2008

I'm posting this here (again) due to some PM's to me.
    I don't do the Who's Who letters. I get at least one to four a year. I tear off my name to shred it and throw the rest in the trash.
    They are pretty much a big scam. Yes, they will send you a letter with your information on it, but they will charge you for anything else you want.
    Most principals don't put any weight into having a Who's Who on your resume, so why bother with the effort?

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 6, 2008

I sent in my information and photo one year but didn't buy the book. The site listed one of the local libraries as one of the many that receive free copies each year. When I went to that library they had no idea what I was talking about. The most recent edition they had was four years old. Maybe the company sends out books that are so old no one would want to purchase them?

8. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

May 6, 2008

Yep- it's too bad it's a scam. Received the letter a couple times and then found out you had to purchase their "book" that lists names.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 6, 2008

...and Apple, even had one of us misguidedly paid the fee and gotten the certificate/plaque/gumball machine, why would someone delete their name and send you a copy? Not only is the company bogus, but your certificate would be bogus- why try to pass a certificate off as your own that clearly isn't? We don't do that here...and rather presumptuous of you given this was your first (and only?)post....

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 6, 2008

Czacza
    You are so good at spotting these people....I have to learn to look at the newcomer/post number.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2008

...and please notice they haven't been back...My suspicious mind thinks this person JUST wanted to forge a certificate-as if that particular certificate had any merit....