Who's Trying to Get a New Job for 2016-17?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ms. I, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 29, 2016

I'm in the SLP field (Speech-Language Pathology) & I just recently graduated. In my field, you don't really have to apply or "pound the pavements" applying. There's numerous employment companies out there nationwide who I haven't even given my name or phone # to who call me, even while still in grad school to try to place me in a job. (I already worked as an SLP for 3 yrs already, so I'm not totally new to how the job goes.)

So, another one of those companies called me a couple weeks ago. I wasn't looking now, in fact, I wanted to take a breather & just planned on looking in May/June, but, since this lady called me, I took her up on her offer & I should be having an interview this week.

This district is year-round, which I don't like at all, but hey, at the least, it's only a year & if I don't like it, I can try to get something else. Plus, even though I graduated, there's another thing to do called the CF (clinical fellowship) in which you have the job & get the full salary, but a mentor still helps you out.

Guess I'll be starting work a LOT sooner than I thought!!! Waking up early & commuting will take getting used to again because for almost 2 yrs now, I've been doing other work that didn't involve that.

What about you guys?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 29, 2016

I'm married to a coach so it's always possible!

4. artbrarian

artbrarian Rookie

Feb 29, 2016

I've been in elementary art for 5 years but I'm about to take the Praxis for highschool English and assuming I pass I'll be looking for a new job. It'll be a totally new adventure.

5. pinkcupcake90

pinkcupcake90 Companion

Feb 29, 2016

Hey, there.

I'm working as a long-term sub at a high school, but I am most certainly going to look for new job opportunities. I don't think they're going to offer me a contract for next year, but I'll be okay. I think I need to find a new district. My goodness gracious, at this school, I bring the students treats, right? Guess what happened after I passed out the treats? They started throwing them at me. :eek::eek:

anon55 likes this.
  6. rlrtorr

rlrtorr Rookie

Mar 24, 2016

I think I check my state website for new job listings almost daily!!!

7. pommom

pommom Comrade

Mar 24, 2016

I started looking online and applying for jobs. Less than half of the districts have even put up their 16-17 school year postings. So around here it is still early.... when do they start interviewng?

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2016

My district is still officially in transfer season, where current employees are given an opportunity to transfer to other schools within the district. Soon it will be opened up to all applicants. If you're looking for a job, it's best to start putting in applications now so that your name is on the list when they start calling. Schools want to fill positions as quickly as possible.

BTW, if you're interested in working in or around Las Vegas, CCSD is always hiring. PM me for more info.

9. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Mar 28, 2016

I am in a LTS position, but am looking for full-time regular for the fall, under the alternative/transitional license approach.

Things are just getting started here in the last few weeks and it seems every day the larger districts are posting more and more positions available.

What makes me nervous is one principal with whom I wound up talking to for about 45 minutes at a job fair, but she told me "don't freak out" if I don't hear from her until June or July.

In the words of the great philosopher Inigo Montoya, "I hate waiting."

10. Run262

Run262 Rookie

Apr 6, 2016

Me...I've been "hitting the pavement" learning all the ins and outs. Two months ago I was laid off from my corporate job of 19 years! So I decided to reinvent myself and follow my passion for what I've wanted to do all along: teach. I just finished the alternative teaching program requirements, passed two content exams, got in my 30 hours of required classroom experience but continue to substitute at my daughter's private catholic school. I've gotten my "certificate of eligibility" saying that I can be hired as a teacher for the 2016 school year. I'm learning that it is indeed the "season" for transfers/contract renewals and the time to "be patient" as the schools and districts are just getting started trying to figure out positions and openings.

I'm really after a Jr. High LA job at my daughter's school (the current LA teacher is leaving for sure) and the school knows I'm very interested. I've also got my resume/cover ltr out there for other private schools and for 2 public school districts in Houston. So....we'll see. I'm just waiting right now and subbing at my daughter's school and another private school about 10 minutes away.

It's the waiting that kills me. Keeping fingers crossed.

pommom likes this.
  11. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Apr 6, 2016

I am moving from charter to public district and from elementary to middle school! Have some feelers out but since it is a high needs district, I'm already into the district as a whole and I am math certified I'm not really worried. Just need to find the right job at the right school.

12. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Apr 21, 2016

Definitely looking for a full time job...good luck to all of you!

13. LilMitsuko

LilMitsuko Rookie

Jun 13, 2016

Also looking for a full time job. No interviews yet. Good luck, everyone!

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 13, 2016

I've been trying to get a job closer to home for 4 years so I can give up my hour long commute. No luck again this year - my contract has been automatically renewed with my current division, so I'll try again next year.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 13, 2016

Turns out we made a move after all.

16. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Jun 25, 2016

I worked a corporate job for 8 years while getting certified in both early childhood and elementary. I was an instructional assistant in pre-kindergarten the last two years and am currently looking for a primary grade full time job. I have had 3 interviews so far, and one lined up for next week So fingers crossed! I had one for a position i really want that I think went well so now its a waiting game. The principle told me to not expect to hear anything before the 4th of July because of vacations etc. Ugh. I hate waiting!

17. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2016

Not me! I'm not posting to gloat, but out of relief. For the past 5 years, I was 75% percent, and my district doesn't allow continuing contracts for part-timers, so every year I had to cross my fingers and wait until late July for confirmation.

This past year, I was full-time for the first time, so this year is the first summer I can just relax.