Who's Job Do You Secretly Envy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2010

Yes, we all LOVE teaching, but is there a friend, relative, TV personality, etc. whose job you envy, just a little? :)

I think the chef Giada DeLaurentis has fun w/ her jobs, especially when filming her show, Giada's Weekend Getaways. She spends the wknd somewhere trying out the locale's food & doing fun activities...food & travelling, the things I like the best!

Also, I'm sure Samantha Brown has a blast travelling all over the world & talking about the experience.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

I honestly envy stay at home moms. I wish I could make the same pay I do now as a stay at home mom. I would love to be a room parent for J's class, eat lunch with her whenever I wanted, and be there to pick her up and volunteer in her class and go on field trips.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

I envy retired people.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

I've tried explaining to my husband that I want to be a stay at home mom, but minus the mom part, or that I'd like to be a stay at home wife, minus the wifely duties!

So...I guess it's retired people I envy!

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

I love my current "job"...... if you call it that ... subbing when I want to and playing most of the time.

I guess I might come out of retirement if I could be the director of the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.......:p

7. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

Well, I actually envy teachers because I have yet to get a solid teaching job!

But yes, now that you mention it...I think Giada does have a very fun time with her job. What's more fun than eating and traveling?! :)

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

I did the stay at home mom thing and it wasn't all it's cracked up to be! I worked harder than now that I'm teaching - and there's all the energy that goes into penny pinching.:2cents:
    I'd like to be an astronaut though.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2010

Major~I think the current director is going to be there for awhile so you might not want to hold your breath! :lol:

10. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

I envy the TV contractor female Amy Matthews and the Divine Design designer Candice Olson. Amy Matthews knows so much about renovating and gets to work with her hands. Candice is just marvelous at what she does and gets to plan out awesome rooms. Deep inside I've always wanted to be a carpenter and a designer.

11. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2010

In our district we have these "reading coaches" who basically go around observing teachers and pontificating about how they can improve their instruction.

I was complaining about them one day to my DW, and she replied by saying "You know what's really funny. I think you would actually be really good at that job."

I agreed with her. The only problem is that I'm not sure I could ride my bike to work if I had that job.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

stg, I was afraid of that........ guess I could be the squad's physical therapist...... Tough job but someone has to do it.......:D:D

13. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

Celebs, entertainers, athletes. I know they are under intense pressure to perform, but they still get to do what they love and make millions doing it, and takes years off.

Most 'regular' people all have gripes about their jobs so I know I wouldn't want to ever be in their shoes.

14. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 4, 2010

I envy my friend's cousin...she's an AP journalist and gets to interview celebrities all the time! Though I'm shy so I'd probably be too nervous to do that.

I think I'd also like to be a country songwriter if I had the talent, so I envy those that have had success with that! Ooh, and Broadway talent...I wouldn't mind getting on stage to perform for a couple hours a day if I had the talent for that, either!

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Definitely Phil Keoghan's job. I would to travel around the world constantly and being obsessed with The Amazing Race it would be so awesome to interview the teams and be involved with the show.

Also, I would love to have a "one hit wonder" song (I know would need some musical talent first...) and become rich off of that, and just enjoy the rest of my life living off of that money.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2010

Okay, although my previous post still stands, I'll answer the question more seriously now. :)

I would like to trade careers with Bob Brier (Mr. Mummy) for a little while. And maybe one of my favorite QVC hosts...I still pretend to be a host for that show. And I still pretend to have my own cooking show, too, when my husband isn't home. It has a name and everything. I never outgrew make-believe.

There are lots of jobs and careers I find interesting and would enjoy being able to dabble in several for a short time.

17. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2010

OK, if JustMe is going to be serious I will too (for a very short time...;))

I'm not envious of anyone... openly or secretly... I wouldn't trade places with anyone. I've been blessed my entire life. I love my life. Life is very good...:):)

18. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Sep 4, 2010

I actually have the best job in the entire world so you can all be envious of me if you want :).

Seriously at this point I can't say as there is another job I want. If you would have asked me this a few years back I would have had a long list. Teaching highschool math was good but not great.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 4, 2010

Those QVC hosts have a fun job. I went to school with one of them (I don't know if she's still there) but she was always very perky!
    I always wanted to be a book editor and just read all day. I don't know if I'd be any good at it and i'm sure it's a lot of work but I sure would love to get paid to read!

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2010

I agree. Although I titled this thread. I'm not envious of anyone either, but I think certain jobs are cooler than others.

21. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

The people on the Travel channel who travel all over the world to sample each culture and get paid to do it...I would LOVE that. They're so lucky to have a job like that.

Also the Ghost adventures guys. I'm fascinated by ghost hunting, and would love to do that for a living.

22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 5, 2010

In my next life, I am going to be the professional organizer on TLC's show "Clean Sweep"

23. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

Hmm.. the host of that show on FoodTV who goes and tries out different delicious foods... I think it's Man v. Food... But the food would have to have 0 calories.

Otherwise.. I'd like to own and/or work in an independent CD/Vinyl store selling off-beat music titles without having to worry about how the store would thrive in the economy.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 5, 2010

Yeah, I don't know how that Adam Richman does it. All that huge amt of fast eating will catch up w/ him one day.