Who's got the best story from the front lines?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 88tuner, Jul 1, 2009.

1. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Here's a great story from my early years as a teacher? Anyone else have any good stories?

This happened to me one day when I was teaching in Illinois. We had just finished a rehearsal (I'm and band director), and I let the kids put their instruments away. Part of my routine at the end of the day is to have the students return to their original seats while waiting for the bell to ring.

The classroom that I was in had concrete and carpeted risers in three tiers that were shaped in arcs. We were there waiting, and I had placed myself at the top of the third tier where I could see what was happening around the room. The class was quiet. We had approximately one minute to go before the bell rang, and it seemed like any other day. This is where the story gets good.

I heard a commotion on the other side of the room, and suddenly there were flames rising five feet high around a group of students. I rushed over to see what was happening. Without hesitation, I told a student near the fire alarm to pull it as quickly as possible. She smiled really big and pulled the alarm like it was something she had always wanted to do.

The alarm was sounding, and all I could think about was getting the kids out of the room. The flames would not go out. It was as if I was stomping on napalm. One of my brighter students suggested that we somehow put the fire out. I thought about throwing a tuba player on the fire and having him roll around, but I hesitated. Instead, I grabbed a music folder and popped the flames with a sudden blow. This smothered the flames and finally put them out.

At this point, the entire school was out of the building, and the superintendent, who was also the principal, was on his way in. We stood there talking about what had happened. He was not kind to me with his speculation of what had gone on in my classroom. His gut reaction was to ask, “Where were you when this happened?” I stood my ground and told him that I was watching the entire class. I reminded him that the student who did this was supposed to be removed from my class the week before. Instead, he was sent to ISS and then placed back in my room a week later because he needed the credit to graduate. I also pointed out that the entire reason he was in our school district in the first place was because he had been expelled from the last school he attended for similar problems.

I later received an apology from the superintendent and new carpet in the band room. The old carpet was ugly green, torn, and it smelled like rotten eggs and fish. As for how the fire was started, the student was angry at being back in my class and decided that he would use some lighter fluid to start a little camp fire in the band room to make sure he was kicked out for good. After some mediation with a lawyer and his expulsion from our school district, I learned that I cannot see everything in my classroom, even by the light of a campfire, and you can never predict what will happen at any given moment.

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2009

I hope the new carpet was not flammable.

4. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Actually, the old carpet was fireproof but it did melt with lighter fluid added. The good news is that the student seemed to be humbled by what happened. I think that might have been the start of his turn toward being an adult.

5. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

LOL! My favorite part of the story!:lol:

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2009

I was sharing a classroom with a teacher who was known to be a stickler for everything being clean and in its place. As I was leaving I saw I had forgotten to throw the garbage into the big trash can outside the back door. I realized I had locked the door already as the door clicked closed. I was locked on the playground and was the last teacher left in our building. I walked around the fences trying to decide how to get out - all the gates were chained locked. About 30 minutes later I was still there and no one had come around so I decided to climb the fence which was challenging since I weighed about 80 pounds more than I do now. Getting up the fence wasn't a problem. Unfortunately, the getting over was as one of my fingers got caught in the chain link loop at the top. It literally skinned my finger to the joint on the way down. Blood was pouring everywhere. I walked into the office asking for help and the secretary there asked who I was because I was so new she didn't recognize me. So, the third day I taught I was off to the hospital with a workman's comp claim! Great first impression!

7. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

Today I subbed in a middle school class and a student showed me his gunshot wound!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

:eek:

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

This story comes from student teaching - not mine but a classmate. He was teaching a shop class and had two students that needed to do some touch-up painting on a project they were working on. He sent them to the paint room to paint while the rest of the class was working on their projects. These two genuses decided to smoke in paint booth since it had its own ventilation system they just knew no one would smell the smoke. Without an ashtray handy, they used the next best thing - the trash can. The trash can was filled with paint and paint thinner soaked rags. Yes, these items are highly flammable. When the genuses noticed the trash can was smoldering, one of them stuck his hand in the can to pat out the fire. The patting resulted in a rush of oxygen to the fire and it blew. When the student teacher rushed to the paint booth, there they stood - smoldering bits of paper drifting down around them. One of the students was missing all the hair on his right arm and his right eyebrow, eyelashes, and bangs.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

midwest, that is scary

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2009

About five years ago I was teaching a fifth grade class and we had a speaker come in to teach the students about energy. I had several young men in that class who were rabble rousers and would take any opportunity to disrupt the class any way they could so I sat them in the front row inches away from the speaker. During the speaker's presentation, we noticed quite a bit of under the desk movement and furtive glances among this group of gentlemen. Turns out that these boys were taking turns exposing themselves to each other under the desks!

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

WHOA:eek::eek::eek:

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

In my early years, mid 80s, I was teaching PE in my very rural
    school. Back then the 6th grade teacher would send me kids to help out with PE. I told this boy,*******, to run out across the field to do something and then I heard him holler. I went to see and there was this HUGE rattlesnake crossing the field. He was right where my kindergarten would run the lap in about 3 minutes. The janitor came out and we chased it into a hole where we killed it. I always told ****** he saved a kindergarten child's life. Years later, *******, who was gay committed suicide (about 3 years ago). True story

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2009

I was teaching 2nd grade and we were sharing journals entries. I had a little girl that was super excited about sharing that her grandpa was getting out the hospital. She announced to the class the first thing her grandpa was going to do as soon as he gets out of the hospital, "My papa said he going to go get his money and get him a woman".

Sad part is she meant exactly the way it sounds. Obviously she overheard a conversation she shouldn't have. Thankfully I think she didn't know what it meant.

15. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jul 2, 2009

StephenPE that is so sad. It broke my heart to hear that, I'm so very sorry for that poor boy.

16. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jul 2, 2009

We have daily televised announcements. One day the 6th grade guidance dean gave a speech that went something like this: "Teachers and admin have been seeing a lot of balls on campus lately. Balls can be a nuisance, they can hit other people, they can break things, etc. From now on, there will be no balls allowed on school property. Leave your balls at home. If you are caught with balls, they will be confiscated and you will not get them back. So please, no more balls at school." Kids and teachers were ROLLING.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2009

:rofl: ZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephen~that is so sad about that child.

18. 88tuner

88tuner Rookie

Jul 2, 2009

Yeah. I felt sorry for him but he was unrepentant and took great pains to cause all his teachers problems. You reap what you sow I guess.