who's actually ready to go back to school???!!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by meri78, Aug 3, 2005.

1. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

just a quick question-who's actually ready to go back to school?? this will be my 3rd year of teaching and my emotions are so mixed right now!! i had a terrible, TERRIBLE year last year (read: if i have another one like it i might not be teaching for must longer :() and have really tried to just relax & enjoy myself this summer. luckily, i scored a new job teaching in the same school & grade as my best friend...so of course i'm super excited about that!! i'm just not sure i'm ready for the summer to be over with, though!! :( just curious as to where everyone stands... -meri

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 3, 2005

Sorry to hear about how bad last year went for you. I know how difficult it is to recover and regain confidence when things go badly. You said it's your third year - Was your first year a good one? If so, keep that one in mind as you begin this year. Take your experiences from last year and turn them into productive opportunities to make changes and take control for this year (I know though that there will always be things you have no control over). Wipe away your old, negative experiences and begin on a clean slate. I haven't reviewed the thread you referred to, but best of luck! As for myself, I can't wait for the summer to end. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but I am so anxious to begin teaching as a qualified teacher and also get some bills paid - it's been a long haul on one salary. I just want to get settled and move to the next stage.

4. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Aug 3, 2005

I'm ready! Though I was hoping to find a new job...
    I didn't and Im' returning to my old one.
    We started summer band three days ago, and the first day I thought if this is how the year is gonna go, I"m gonna shoot myself... the last two days have really set me afire though :D

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2005

I am not really ready emotionally. I will be leaving my son all day instead of half of the day and I am not really quite ready for the change. Unfortunately, it's something that had to be done right now.. I've got alot on my plate this year- taking on quite a bit of responsibility ..

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 3, 2005

I'm not ready to go back and teach...however, I am ready to decorate and have already started doing so. Decorating and setting up my classroom is my favorite thing about teaching. It all goes down hill from there...especially because of my bad year last year. I'm praying that it'll be better this year.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

My room isn't ready for me. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the new year (new grade, new co-principal...lots of changes), but I am ready for this summer to be over. It hasn't been a great one.

8. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I am not ready! I had so many goals, but just ended up lounging around - which is probably what I needed! Great summer, read a lot of prof dev materials, but I am now ready to return to the 27 cherubs in my third-grade room.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

As you know from my own personal posting about 'summer blues', I also felt like you. This week I have been in my classroom setting up and I am WIPED out, drained, comatosed, when i get home....

But, I am now really into 'going back'- My energy and mind are really BACK to SCHOOL.
    This is my first, back to school, since having gastric bypass in September. I am so sure there are alot of reasons I am wiped out including not drinking my water, and food intake may be to limited for the physical work i am doing. BUT, there is also the early waking up, all the mental work i am doing because I did not have any kind of mental summer at all other then reading romance and mystery novels, so I know going back to school for me was a NEW experience even though I have been teaching for many years.

10. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2005

I'm ready. I have been home with my three kids all summer (ages 2, 4 and 6) and I'm about ready to go crazy! I don't know why this is, but I can manage other people's kids MUCH better than I can manage my own. I think the introduction of a real routine will be good for all of us.

Plus, there's the fact that we moved this summer, spent a month living at the inlaws waiting for our house to be ready, and still are in the midst of unpacking. I just want it all to end!
    Kim

11. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

THANK GOD SUMMER IS ENDING!!!!!
    As everybody well knows that I have been subbing for the past three years and this year I am anticipating an awesome first year as a TA! ~chava

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

In a way I am ready and in a way I am not. I am working at a new school so today and tomorrow I have to move everything into my classroom. Tuesday I leave for Aruba for a week and when I come back I have to have oral surgery. Then I have a week to get ready b/c the last week I have to a WEEK LONG orientation for new teachers from 830-230. Seriously what are they going to tell me all week long. It is not like I am 1st year teacher. If it were for 2 days then fine but why all week long.
    But I am excited to start at a new school.

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

I am am and am not ready to go back to school. Summer is just flying by... I cannot beleive where the time goes. My classroom is not ready at all considering they have extended school year until Aug 15th. They are using my room for therapies and I have no furniture at all in the room. Everything is locked-up. The custodians said do not bother coming in to do your room until the last week of August. I told I won't be around. I am going to RI for a week on vacation. Oh well. I will just have to work extra hard when I get back.

However, I have been working on this and that for my classsroom at home. For example, I am making folders of centers that the students can take to their desk if they complete their work. So as you can see I am sort of ready but not really.

14. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

amk-we have to go back 3 weeks early so i feel your pain!! :( we're supposed to be having meetings, in-services, etc. my friend (who has taught at the school the last 2 years-i'm new) says it's basically just a screw off time while they (the school) procrastinate and try and get all the rooms ready! should be enjoyable-maybe i'll make some new friends! good luck to you! :) -meri

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

JEnglish where in RI are you going? I went to college in Newport and loved it there.

16. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

i am ready to go back to school. last year i felt like i was in training r something. my colleague was bit bossy and she knew more things than me. never got a chance to listen to my own voice. aaaaaaaa dons't matter, still good friends. i will be working in my own classroom. soooo
    i am going back to school

17. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

AMK-

I have family that live in Charlestown, East Greenwich, and Narrgasette... I also love Newport. I had a couple of cousins who went to Salve Regina. It is beautiful. We also go over to Block Island. We love it there. Actually my parents are orginally from RI. The Newport Mansions are beautiful.

18. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

Newport is a great place to visit, there is a ton to do in the summer but not so much in the winter. The best time to go is in the fall or in April before it gets really crowded and expensive. The prices of everything go up from May - Sept. I haven't been back since I graduated from Salve. I am hoping to go back sometime in Sept with friends so we can pretend to college students again!
    I have never been to Block Island but I hear it is great. Have a great time.

19. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I have mixed emotions. I love teaching SO much, but I've also loved being off for the summer. Once teaching starts I know I will be so stressed out again. I really love it, and I love the school & grade I teach in, but it's just SO overwhelming (all teachers know what I mean!) So I'm ready & not ready, if you know what I mean! Good luck everyone!

[​IMG]

20. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 4, 2005

I am exhauseted. I sat in meetings all day yesterday and today and will do so tomorrow. I have to be ready because the students are coming back on Monday whether I am ready or not. Emotionally or otherwise :)

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

I vowed that my room would be ready before teachers have to report back on 8/8 and I think it will be. Then I won't be so agitated in meetings next week and can use the time for curriculum. I would like to take a few more weeks getting ready without kids (LOL), just taking my time, playing my music loud, complaining to my coworker, leaving early ..... now that I'm not stressed out it's fun. But next week will be fun, too, seeing everyone again. Only thing is they all seemed to have traveled and done exciting things and poor old me hung around home and worked part time. Oh well, I got a tan. And I am happy with how my little classroom turned out (love those gingham check borders.)

22. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

To echo the words of someone else, I'm ready, but at the same time I'm not! I have a 14 month old and have had a wonderful time being with her all summer. We've gone to the pool, out to lunch with friends and shopping. We've had a blast! I also feel like I have a much better handle on taking care of my house and keeping things in order when I don't work.
    On the other hand, I am always excited about the start of a new school year. The prospect of unlocking the potential of each of my students really excites me. I also love setting up my classroom. It's also fun to go back and see everyone and hear what they did over the summer

23. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

SInce I have my first job I am sooooooo not ready. I am visiting my classroom today to see what it looks like - i am taking pictures. But one of the team teachers just invited the team to her house Monday night for dinner so we can get to know each other. I am going to love this job. That is so kind of her to do something like that.

24. SimplySue

SimplySue Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

OK everyone! I understand the feeling of "loving summer". That's one of the perks of this career. It is also a needed time. We need to be refreshed so we can give the most we can give to our students. Our profession is one that touches so many lives. You need to enjoy it or do something else. Find that spark for yourself and go for it. Those children are depending on YOU! You may be the only inspiration they get. YOU may be the only one to open the world of learning. YOU may be the one to encourage them to be "lifelong learners". YOU may be the one to offer them a safe haven in a chaotic world. YOU may be the one to inspire them to reach their potential. YOU may be the one to give them a reason to live. We have such an awesome profession and an awesome responsibility. Find out what works for you and how you can make your year exciting for both you and your students. Remember "I make a difference - I teach!!!!"

Sue

25. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

i can't believe we're talking about being ready to go back to school! i feel like my summer just started! that's b/c i taught summer school, which ended today. i'm just psyched about my 3 1/2 weeks off i am having before returning, even though i know i'll be in my room setting up before first day for teachers. . .

26. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 5, 2005

I moved a lot of my things in today into my new classroom. The teacher before left a lot of junk behind. I can't get rid of it just yet b/c she is now teaching 2nd grade. UGH. I have a lot of work to do!

27. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Aug 5, 2005

I was ready till I realized school starts monday!! So much to do and no time left!

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2005

I am ready and I am not ready. I miss my kiddies, and I will have some of my kids from last year again since I've moved from 2nd to 3rd grade. But I was stupid and signed up for too many professional development workshops, some being a full week long, so I feel tired and like I haven't really relaxed as much as I'd like.

Plus I feel like I haven't gotten everything done that I should've, even though I tried to rest when I wasn't doing workshops and thats what I really needed.

Sigh...I still have a few more weeks left, but I could use more time, I'm sure.

29. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Aug 6, 2005

I just went into my new classroom and I don't even know where to begin. The teacher left so many great reference and resource books ehich is wonderful but after I left the classroom I felt a bit overwhelmed. I am sooooo looking forward to the first day - its getting ready for it that makes me nervous ;-)

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2005

Just take it slow...I usually try to tackle big projects like cleaning things into small bits so I feel like I've accomplished something quicker:) Ask friends to come in to help...I've had my parents and my friends come in to help and they were very willing to do whatever I asked. Good luck! You'll do great!

And remember, its okay to have a work in progress...you don't need to have every last detail done before school starts.

31. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

I'm definately excited... now that I have a classroom to look forward to returning to! ;)

32. Sylbyl

Sylbyl Rookie

Aug 10, 2005

I worked summer school too! So I still feel the need to rejuvenate my spirit. As for having bad years! I've been there. Here is my advice:[it may sound dorky; but take it to heart (cuz it works)].

1-Look for the positive & comical even when it's hard to find
    2-Think about the students that need you and draw your strength from them
    3-Praise is wonderful; however seeking it from administration or colleagues can't be your goal they may not be looking for best or can't see the great things you do (instead give yourself a pat on the back because if you don't; who will)
    4-Use positive self talk "I'm the bomb!" "Who's the best" "Who loves the kids more than me" (Remember your struggles give you power; you are strong because made it through the year and you are tough enough to go back when others may have quit.) ;)

33. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

Aug 10, 2005

What a great year it will be!

I am so excited to return to school. This is only my third year teaching but through my efforts I have attained the coveted position of grade-level chair. I can really understand the pain of a bad school year. My first year I was hired for first grade in June. When I reported in August I was informed I would be teaching fourth grade, so much for my summer planning. Two weeks after school started I was moved to third grade because the third grade needed a bilingual teacher. In October I was informed that the schools enrollment had dropped and that I was going to have to tansfer to a new school. I was given 45 minutes, I cried the whole time, to make it over to a cattle call where after my third interview I was offered a K position but would have to teach with no curriculm at all. I accepted my fate and went back to my room and took down everything and packed my car. I was at my new school for exactly one day when I got a call from the district saying that because of mass parent complaints they need me to return to my third grade class. I was so happy and I gleefully re-setup my room. One month later, the day before Thanksgiving brake, I was informed that once again enrollment had dropped further and I would need to go teach an ELL second grade through fifth grade combo. I refused to teach that class and told them I would drop my contract unless they found me a traditional primary class. They found me a position at my current site teaching first grade. They made up my class by allowing each teacher to send me their overflow kids, of course they sent me the worst of the worst behavior problems. I did not think I would ever teach again but summer rekindled my spirit. I now have been asked to mentor a new teacher coming onto my first grade staff. I am a teacher because I was born to do it and noone will ever take that away from me. Never let the bureacracy and stupidity get you down.

34. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 10, 2005

I'm really excited to start because it's my first year. :) I'm nervous too, since I haven't been able to start getting my room set up yet. They are cleaning and all that fun stuff...plus the last time I went in there, the other teacher hadn't moved all of her things out yet (she's taking ALL of the furniture to her new room :eek: ) so hopefully the next time I go in I'll actually have desks and things. I think once I actually start putting things up, I'll realize how much work I have to do, then I will be wishing for more time! :p

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 11, 2005

SmartCookie, I have never heard of anyone who has put up with more than you had to put up with. You are amazing.

36. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 11, 2005

Our maitnance dept. works all year round, so usally by the time teachers officially come back the rooms are ready. There's always those exceptions. We have meetings all day (except for one day when we get to work in our room). It's important stuff about school procedures, what's changed, new curriculum, and new technology.