Whooping cough... aahhhh!!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SuperBug!, Feb 18, 2009.

1. SuperBug!

SuperBug! Rookie

Feb 18, 2009

Ok, this is my first time posting anything, but I've been reading the forums for a long time so I feel like I know everyone already! :)

So, found out today that a child in a classroom I work in has been diagnosed with whooping cough. We think he contracted it from another child that I work with very closely who has had a severe cough for several weeks, but that's just speculation. So before all of this came around today, I had been getting over a cough myself over the last three to four weeks. It was not a pleasant cough, but I wasn't cracking ribs or throwing up because of it and it kind of came and went.

Now I'm kind of freaking out thinking I might have contracted whooping cough. Do you think you can get a "mild" case of whooping cough? I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get a blood test to be sure but I don't want to look like some hypochondriac who is overreacting. My cough has subsided over the last week or so, but it went away for awhile before and came back again.

Stupid whooping cough!!! :mad:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2009

I'm glad you're going to the Dr. just to be sure. Feel better!

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Feb 18, 2009

Our school has had several cases of whooping cough this year. We are now participating in a study with the CDC to see if they can gather more data about how it is coming back. According to the info we received from the CDC, it can be much milder in adults and older children...you may not realize that it is what you actually have. The cough lingers for a long time, too. I would go see your doctor, it may, in fact be what you have.