Whoop Whoop! Let's hear it for....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SCTeachInTX, Aug 20, 2012.

1. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

Let's give a SHOUT out to all our FIRST YEAR teachers! It will be a bumpy ride on the "first year roller coaster" so, hang on and let it be a ride to remember. If you have any advice for our FIRST YEAR or NEW Teachers, please post here. If YOU are a NEW teacher, feel free to give a SHOUT for yourself. After all, everyone gets to have a "scream" on a rollercoaster! Get ready, this coaster is pulling out....:cool:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

What a wonderful way to start a Monday morning!!!

Keep in mind that every single child you teach is (or most certainly should be) the light of some parent's eye. Somewhere there's a parent who sees so very much to love in even the toughest, hardest to get along with kid. Strive, hard, to find that something lovable in each and every kid.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2012

The first parent contact should be a POSITIVE contact. Then they trust and love you.;)

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 20, 2012

Parents really and truly are doing the bery best that they can with the resources they have (both emotionally and financially), they don't always make the choices YOU would, but they are doing their best. Remember the line between being a teacher for a year and a parent for a lifetime.

This job is a calling, but it isn't your whole life, don't let it consume you. Take a breath sometimes, spend time with your family and friends or time alone when needed.

Use your lesson plans wisely, jot notes about what went well (or didn't go well) and add any resources you come across as you teach so that you have even better lessons next year.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2012

Such great advice already! Don't ever lose sight that the job of teaching cannot be compared to most other professions. Your friends in other careers will have totally different concerns. The job doesn't necessarily fit into the 8-3 time constraints, but don't let it rule your life.
    And congrats for getting a position in a challenging time!

7. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 20, 2012

When I first started teaching, I was told that the profession can be isolationist. It doesn't have to be. You aren't alone. Don't be afraid to ask for help. You're a first year teacher. You aren't supposed to know everything yet. Whether it's the paperwork that you just don't understand or what to do with a chronically disruptive student, find someone that you can go to for advice - a mentor, the teacher across the hall, or another first year teacher with whom you feel comfortable working things through together.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 20, 2012

Yes, good luck to all of you & enjoy!

9. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 20, 2012

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

Great post!!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 20, 2012

Woot! I've been with you guys for a year now as I've been preparing to teach full-time for my first year, and it's finally happening! Thanks for everything you've all done, and this is a truly amazing forum with truly amazing members. =]

12. live

live Companion

Aug 20, 2012

As an already-overwhelmed first year teacher, I needed something like this on a day like today! Thank you!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

Never forget that, in spite of the meetings and paperwork, it's all about the kids. Learn who they are and enjoy them. Don't waste any time worrying about what should have happened in previous years, do your best for those students in your care this year.

14. trulyunic

trulyunic Rookie

Aug 20, 2012

I have gotten great ideas and assistance here :)
    Students come to tmrw!!!!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

Good luck!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

Hang your alphabet board toppers starting with the middle panel first, or else the whole thing will be crooked. :rofl:

No but really, my advice is to learn to put your head on your pillow every night knowing your work is never done. Our jobs are endless; the sooner you can get comfortable with constantly being behind, the better. I'm still learning to do this!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 20, 2012

Someone saw something special in you. That's why you were trusted with those kids who come to you every day. You are worthy of your position!

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

After 4 years in the classroom, I STILL struggle with this!

19. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2012

Try and take time out to relax.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2012

Me too....

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2012

Don't let the negative teachers drag you down. I still struggle with this (battled it today). In the long run, you will be better off!

22. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 20, 2012

No matter how much prior experience you may have you will never be fully prepared for your first year. It will be emotional and draining, but well worth it if you survive. Accept the fact that you will not be perfect and you will be learning right alongside your students.

As the year progresses be sure to jot down any reflections or new ideas for the following year!

23. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for this. I'm getting the vibe I have some big shoes to fill from the person who left my current position. But obviously they thought I was special enough to fill those shoes. :)

24. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

Believe in yourself.
    Forgive yourself for making mistakes, learn from them and move on.
    Be the leader in your classroom.
    Be respectful of parents but don't let them manipulate you.
    Try to stay as organized as you can - schedule time for it - because looking for things, etc. is a time waster.
    Work hard but don't exhaust yourself - nurture yourself - you will need it.
    Stay out of school drama - be friendly to everyone and stay out of the infighting.
    Don't be afraid of asking for help - the administrators will be more respectful of that than being blindsided by surprises because you didn't.
    Take time Sunday to organize your clothes and food for the week - you will thank yourself for it over and over.
    Realize everyone struggles the first year - you aren't alone and it does get better.
    Don't be afraid to smile and have fun with the kids but don't try to be their friend.

Good luck and have fun!

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2012

Oh, something more practical. Have an emergency kit of extra clothes, toiletries, feminine supplies, pain killers, snacks, etc. etc. - anything and everything that may save the day.

26. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

Enjoy the experience ,you only get one first year!

27. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 21, 2012

I love this thread - thank you for the encouragement and advice, everyone! I have learned so much from this forum. :)