Whole House Water Softener?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Harper, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Harper

Harper Companion

Dec 27, 2013

Does anyone have a whole house water softener? Opinions and/or Recommendations as to brand, size, etc? I will be asking neighbors for suggestions, as they are very common in the area and much needed, but thought I would ask A to Z as well!
    Thanks!
    Harper

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

We have a cullingan system. They service it and we rent the unit for around $25 a month.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 27, 2013

I'm still dealing with the issue. I always buy bottled water (refill the gallon bottles for $.25). Now I always have 10 gallons because when I wash my hair I heat up one gallon, take it in the huge pot to the bathroom, and take another cold gallon and after I'm done with the shower, I sit in the tub and scoop the water out and mix the hot and cold with a small bucket. Washing my hair about twice a week uses up 4 gallons of our drinking water, so I have to get more.

It sounds like a pain the neck and it is, but I tried washing my hair with the tap water and it was horrible. I actually got used to this, I feel very Turkish :) (I watch a lot of Turkish novellas from back in the 1500s and that's how they bathed lol)
    And actually the cost is a lot lower than buying expensive hair products.

I have looked into water softener systems, but they're too expensive. But if there is something I could rent for $25 / month, I'd go for it.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 27, 2013

My water was so hard we were having busted pipes. The water system is a big help. We do have to add salt pellets about every other month--more when son is home and we are watering yard.

6. msaly

msaly Comrade

Dec 27, 2013

We used an envirotec water softener. It was this one http://www.envirotech2o.com/ws/et42h.html

We didn't have any problems with it at all! We even took it with us when we moved and they came out to set it up at the new house.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2013

We have one...I'll check the kind tomorrow. We mix the salt with the rust remover salt...I believe our outdoor hoses are not connected.

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

We have a well. Inside the house, in our utility room, we have a water softener. We also add salt. Our irrigation system is not connected to the water softener. This sort of system is common to houses not connected to public water systems. Having a well is one of the reasons we bought this place. We have no water bill and no sewer bill.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I looked and could not find any brand name on the system. I will say that we consult with the Pump Company often. I would suggest you find a company that has water softeners. They should be able to tell you what you need.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 28, 2013

We are well, also. Most houses in our area have a system. I just wished we had done it sooner. I use less soap, cleaners, and shampoo. My hair is easier to manage. My skin doesn't get as dry.

11. Harper

Harper Companion

Dec 29, 2013

Thanks for the help everyone. The more research I do, the more I know that we are definitely getting one. Mrachelle, I am amazed at the problems hard water can cause! Thanks for the advice, Blue. I am going to start calling around next week.

12. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 29, 2013

I wished we had done it sooner, we had two pipes bust because of hard water.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 29, 2013

Harper.. we got ours at Sears.... we brought in a water sample & they helped us get one for our needs...

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

Diznee, I forgot, water testing is part of the process. I don't know what your community if like, but mine is rural, and pump stores exist everywhere.

15. Harper

Harper Companion

Dec 29, 2013

I am sending in the water test tomorrow. In fact, I have two - one from Home Depot and one from the county. It in known that the area has hard water; just a step in the process. Between skin problems and expensive hair treatments, I am not risking hard water!:p

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 30, 2013

Harper. I don't want to discourage your use of Home Depot as I have stock in it. I would encourage you to find a place that has someone who knows about the process, and can give you advice.