Whole Group Incentive Feedback?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

I show my students a "magic trick" then promise to teach it to them if they get enough marbles in the jar.

That said, I avoid using points or other complex systems that take up instructional time.

Avoid showing a movie! It tells students that instructional time is not that valuable. When my daughter's math teacher spent 3 class periods showing a Disney film, I was one of the many who complained.

2. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 2, 2014

I write the word "GUMBALL" up on the board, and keep a bin of about 700 gumballs handy. They earn 14 gumballs if the finish the day with all 7 letters, and 1 gumball per letter if they lose any (so 6 gumballs for 6 letters, etc). If they finish the day with 0, they lose everything they've earned. There are a couple other ways they can earn gumballs, too (they triple whatever they earn with a sub, they get 5 for a hallway compliment from the principal, etc). When they fill the whole thing, they get a class reward. They typically fill it once per quarter, and it works well, because I give them the reward after their monstrous quarterly math assessments.

3. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Sep 2, 2014

I think 3rd grade. It wasn't my idea- I was pushing in as the special ed teacher into a regular Ed room. The kids loved it though. Obviously it wouldn't work with fifth and up probably cause you can't trust them, depends on the type of kids and the district.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 2, 2014

Ha, thankfully I've never been a big fan of showing movies (I showed portions of a film that we compared and contrasted to a read aloud book with the class I was with for a few months...but only as a long-built-up reward and only because it provided good opportunities to discuss the purposes behind each of the differences)...and even though the kids eat lunch in the classroom, out school highly suggests that videos not be shown during that lunch time.

That magic trick idea is one I've never heard of -- I may have to try it just for the sake of making myself go learn a magic trick ;)

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Sep 2, 2014

I've shown scenes from movies to show how the screenwriter connected the beginning to the end or how running gags connected various portions of the movie, but it was in conjunction with a writing unit where students were attempting to do the same thing. The purpose was not entertainment.

Also, by rewarding students by teaching them something, makes learning something new a reward to be sought and not something to avoid.