Whole class math games?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newteech, Nov 15, 2019.

1. newteech

newteech Rookie

Nov 15, 2019

Could someone point me to some new math games I can play with my entire 8th grade math class?

Some ones I currently use are Jeopardy, Kahoot, Bingo, Skunk and Battleship.
    Would love some new ideas and or pdf suggestions. Thanks.

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 18, 2019

Concentration. (A TV game show when I was a kid). Begin with an array of cards covering equations or inequalities on the board, each card covering one equation/inequality. A student contestant chooses 1 card. To make even more mathematical, the card could be chosen as one would describe a point on a grid, e.g., (2,4). If the two cards match, the contestant's team gets a point. E.g., if the first card says 2x3 and the second card says 3+3, that's a match. (Of course, more advanced equations could be used).

On the TV show, if my memory serves me correctly, each time 2 cards matched they were taken off the board and behind the cards were fragments of a larger rebus puzzle. With extra cards on the board or by use of the Smartboard, rather than a rebus puzzle, an advanced equation could be hidden. If a contestant chooses to solve the puzzle successfully, prior to all the cards being overturned, the game is over and the team gets extra points.

newteech likes this.
  4. newteech

newteech Rookie

Nov 19, 2019

Thanks! good one

5. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 20, 2019

Gimkit is by far the most engaging I've used. You'd prob have to make the questions yourself. It's like Kahoot but they use money to buy level ups to get more money per question. They can also attack other teams and freeze their screen etc. So fun.

ready2learn likes this.
  6. LaurenEDU

LaurenEDU New Member

Dec 1, 2019

I enjoy using Quizlet Live with my students! First, you must create a Quizlet and then click the Quizlet Live button. Students are prompted to sign in (similarly to Kahoot) and then Quizlet Live separates them into randomized groups. The students can work together as a group or individuals in their group to solve each problem. The more correct answers the group gets the further they get on in the race. The group will get docked if they get an incorrect answer. The students really enjoy how fast and engaging this game is.

ready2learn likes this.