Whole Brain Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

I'm finally looking deeply into Whole Brain Teaching. Seems kind of fun, but I am skeptical of some of the claims.

There just doesn't seem to be any real research behind the claim that this is how the brain actually best learns. Just more of a, dare I say it, marketing gimick.

Anyone seen actual research behind the claims?

3. namanjohnson101

namanjohnson101 New Member

Nov 3, 2019

HELLO EVERYONE,

To me, it's a new incarnation for Gardner's multiple intelligences. Overall is it helpful to vary the ways kids are learning? Absolutely. When that ideal crystallises into a formal pedagogy, things get a little kooky.

THANKS AND REGARDS

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

I’ve used WBT strategies and still use some regularly. In the past, I used more, but honestly I found some of the strategies amped up students too much and the methods weren’t contributing to a calm, focused classroom.

I'm unsure about research on it, however.

5. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Nov 3, 2019

I think a key factor is that a students use their entire brain at all times, but how are the students using their brain during a lesson? I think back to my college classes in the 80's. Visual, auditory, and kinesthetic activities were to be integrated into lessons. When appropriate, I see the importance of integrating the arts into lessons. I find student talk to be an essential component to learning; the students verbalize connections that are forming within their brains and these connections are added to the listening students' brains. This occurs during cooperative learning, and I also find an even different type of verbalization ensues during whole class teacher led discussions. Graphic organizers not only organize but visually summarize new data. Such charts are enhanced through pleasant shapes, colors, pictures, even sound effects or music. Speaking of music, songs are a wonderful brain friendly enhancement to a lesson. Powerpoints can lend flare to a lesson, especially if in cartoon style.

Children's TV shows have made use of such holistic brain-friendly teaching tactics. I'm thinking of Sesame Street, Captain Kangaroo (from my own childhood), The Electric Company (a prime example), even Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Backroads likes this.
  6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

And I generally agree with this, but the claims Whole Brain Teaching gives is that their fast-paced mimicry style is how the brain best learns. From what I'm seeing, it leaves little room for other types of learning (if you're doing it as promoted rather than picking preferred techniques). That's just now what I'm buying.

What appeals to me is that it keeps kids occupied during a lecture-style lesson, but I also worry I have a few kids that would be overwhelmed.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

It definitely overwhelmed some of my students. And even though it’s supposed to be great for unruly and low kids, I found that my most reluctant learners didn’t really use the strategies as effectively as they should have. For instance, they'd still be lost even if I took frequent breaks to have them do Teach-Ok!

In my opinion, it would work better if implemented school wide and from a young age to help with consistency.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 3, 2019

Back when it was first introduced (it was called Power Teaching back then, they had to change their name) I tried using it with my third graders. Here's what I found -- when I used it with my "typical" class, it worked okay, but got old fast for ME. I got tired of doing it. It's exhausting to keep up that pace ALL THE TIME.

When I used it with my "inclusion" class, they thought it was fun, but it overstimulated many, and my slow processors and more introverted kids where lost and never caught up with it. It was a disaster with my "gifted" cluster classroom. They thought it was just plain silly, and they mostly made fun of the kids who were doing it. That was my overall impression of it. That was back in the early 2000's.

I personally have never seen any specific research about it. I've heard many testimonials, but never specific, published studies.

a2z, Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

While browsing the interweb, I have found, interesting enough, a bunch of neuroscientists who scoff at the claims. They have no qualms with any good classroom results it produces, but they seem to call it another stream of "neurononsense."

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. Kat_Kong_Mrs.H

Kat_Kong_Mrs.H New Member

Nov 3, 2019

I use parts of it and I believe it has been effective with my students (Title I).

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 3, 2019

Now that you mention it... tiring me out was probably one of the biggest reasons I stopped using WBT techniques so often. I was really gung ho with it one year for a few months and it was exhausting o_O I'd say about 50% of my students did really like it, however. I'm not sure I could keep it up long term.

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2019

I taught seniors and so most of the techniques weren’t applicable, but I did use Class/Yes for getting attention. My then college-aged daughter was visiting in my classroom once, and my kids were working on some cooperative thing. I remembered something I wanted to remind them of, and said “class!” The look on my daughter’s face when every head snapped around with a “yes” was memorable!

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

So I tried some of the techniques out this morning. All morning.

It has totally done me in.

a2z, Tired Teacher and otterpop like this.
  14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

I think I may continue to see if I can't build up stamina because it did seem to help a couple of my Distractables, though the high kid and the kid with autism don't seem happy about the approach.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

What did you try?

16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 4, 2019

Some mimicry techniques.

17. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 8, 2019

I am laughing picturing this.....;)

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

I've seen some teachers use the techniques successfully. It's very much not my personality type, so it seems very "put on" from me, so it doesn't work.

Backroads likes this.