Whole Brain Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CatfaceMeowmers, Mar 12, 2015.

1. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Mar 12, 2015

I'm really digging WBT! I am not yet a teacher, but I've watched so many videos about WBT and lots of "examples" in the classroom. I am very eager to use this. However, it does seem fairly extensive and has many small parts that make up the WHOLE of WBT.

I also have looked into CHAMPS - I like CHAMPS because these are the desired expectations that students need to know. But WBT is a sort of classroom management program.

Does anyone have experience with WBT? Also, any experience with CHAMPS?

Am I crazy for thinking I could possibly do both?

I definitely believe WBT will work for 6th graders in math class! :D

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2015

I use the parts I like best of both systems. Cherry picking isn't always a bad thing!

I was a trainer for my school on CHAMPs and went to a workshop and read a book for WBT.

4. CatfaceMeowmers

Mar 13, 2015

If you don't mind me asking, which parts do you think are the best? :)

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 13, 2015

I use the charts for the different activities from Champs, class yes, teach, okay, and mirror from WBT. I use the scoreboard during weeks before holidays, and other crazy times.

6. CatfaceMeowmers

Mar 14, 2015

I know WBT has A LOT of stuff to it. I do really like class-yes, teach-okay, and mirror-words. I do think using gestures, especially in math, will help the students while they learn. I also love the layout of Champs - letting the students know the expectations and all that is desired for the day is a great way for them to, well, know the expectations. I'm just afraid of talking too much and not being able to get any "work" done. But I'd much rather get all of the classroom management set up in the beginning of the year than later in the year.

Also, I do enjoy the idea of the scoreboard! I would love to use it everyday, but I don't think there is anyway as a first year teacher. I'll be too busy as it is! So perhaps I could use it on just Fridays or something.

Thanks for your input!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 14, 2015

I have used CHAMPs for years. I love it. It fits my personality better. Whole Brain Teaching is awkward for me. Many of the things are too "in your face" for my personality. Unless it's natural for me, I'm not going to be successful implementing it.

8. CatfaceMeowmers

Mar 14, 2015

I've learned as a sub that I can be a bit "in your face" and talk a lot to the students. Mostly explaining expectations and what's going on that day. I enjoyed theater in high school and I think that's becoming apparent again in the classrooms :)

9. UditGanguly

UditGanguly Rookie

Mar 17, 2015

It's not enough for watching a video, until and unless you face it. While you in-front of number of students then your mind start thinking differently, though it is very essential to have practical experience and experience comes as the days goes on.

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Mar 18, 2015

I have used Class-Yes, Teach-Okay, and Mirror-Words with my class this year, and it has been great! I'll definitely continue to use them and maybe add in some other things in coming years. I am not a very outgoing person, but my students and I love those parts of WBT. I have seen / heard different people talking about CHAMPs, so I need to look into it to learn more about it.