Whole Brain Teaching?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by raynepoe, Jul 22, 2014.

1. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2014

I work in a "Priority" school, with low SES and most students are two or three grade levels below standard and many demonstrate difficult/oppositional behavior. I have been looking for a solution or at least some strategies to help my students. I have been reading WBT book and watching online videos, and I am wondering what experiences people have with WBT.

My questions:
    Does anyone incorporate WBT into their classroom?
    What are your results?
    How hard was the conversion?
    What grade are you using it in?
    Any tips to make the transition easier?
    If you tried it and didn't continue, what roadblocks or issues did you encounter that made it not a good fit?

3. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I work in a similar school and am interested in learning more. I teach sped - 5/6 and would love to discuss any strategies that might help. Where did you find the videos?

4. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 22, 2014

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

I saw one on YouTube recently. I don't know if it was just the teacher's style, or if that's the way Whole Brain Teaching is, but I couldn't get past the 10 minutes it took her to do the sing-songy rules and have the kids echo them back. It was too cult like for me. Lol but i don't know anything about it, maybe it was just the video I watched. I'll have to look at the ones raynepoe posted.

6. Laura96

Laura96 New Member

Jul 22, 2014

Funny, I just saw some of the videos this morning and wondered the same things. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience using it. The book gets excellent reviews on Amazon, but I kind of felt the way iteachbx felt. It sure doesn't seem like it would feel natural. And that rule #5 (Make your dear teacher happy)...I just don't know how that would go over with the administration at my school.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

Yeah I don't even like that rule, let alone what my admins would think. Pretty sure they'd think I was insane. Do they do that rule thing every day? It seems so overdone.

8. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 23, 2014

From what I have read, you start with the rules a lot at the beginning but than only use them if/when students break them. You raise the number of fingers and the class recites rule that is being broken. Peer pressure/enforcement...

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

Some TPT rule signs for Whole Brain Teaching have altered rules without that rule #5 - things like "listen to your teacher".

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2014

I like that better. "Make your teacher happy" just makes it seem like you're in school to please the teacher not learn and grow. I know that's not the case, but it just gives off that feeling.

11. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

Jul 27, 2014

I use everything from whole brain teaching, except the rules. You can pick and choose what you want to incorporate. I taught 1st last year. Seriously try whole brain teaching. You will love doing it and so will the kids. My kiddos LOVED mirror on, teach/okay and class/yes. It really helps using whole brain in the afternoon when the kids are getting tired.

12. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 30, 2014

I have used WBT for the past three years. My favorites:

1. Teach - Okay
    2. Class - Yes
    3. Scoreboard
    4. Rules 1-4.
    5. (MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE) Gestures.

I taught in a single gender classroom and this worked WONDERS for a room full of second grade boys.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2014

I use class/yes for my hs seniors. Works fine. And I do refer to myself as their Dear Teacher, in a kind of tongue in cheek way. It goes well with my personality.

14. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

I agree! I liked the "class class...yes yes" i thought that was cute as an attention grabber instead of 123 eyes on me things but otherwise i cant get through a video! They repeat everythingggggggg its so long and drawn out - i couldnt deal with it.

However class, class, and the TEACH! thing in math particularly i could see myself using. I have trouble doing things with fidelity. I always do it randomly as i'm usually freaking out about my students getting the curriculum

15. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

I am a Whole Brain Teacher and a nationally certified instructor for the method. I teach middle school science. I would be happy to answer any questions you have on using the method.

First, I have used this approach for eight years now teaching in middle school and college classrooms. It is extremely effective and engaging for the students at any level.

Second, using the rules in class allows you to address a rule violation without stopping class, and without embarrassing a kid. If someone is talking out of turn you say "Class! 2!" and the whole class does the gesture and quickly says rule 2. No chance for a power struggle or argument.

Third, Rule 5 is a teacher's antimatter. For 95% of your class it is just something funny you do at the start of class. For those kids who are not responding to peer pressure you can tell them they are violating Rule 5. You are the soul authority on what makes you happy so there really isn't any room for argument there. If the kid says they do not know how to make you happy you just smile and say "That's easy- just follow the first four rules!" and walk away. It works really well. If an administrator has questions about it explain it the way I just did. It is one of the only things you can say to a potentially belligerent child that will cut off arguments, power struggle attempts, and avoid letting them derail your class.

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

Does anyone have any resources for teaching gestures for a class of fourth grade math? Thanks so much!!

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

I've used it with great success. I view it more as "something special" and not an all the time thing because it truly is exhausting to be that "on." It works wonderfully for mini-lessons and introducing new concepts.

18. Errrrrrrrrr!

Errrrrrrrrr! Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

My new school uses wbt. I refreshed my memory by watching the videos posted in this thread. The funny thing is that I have picked up most of these methods subbing the past year in various classrooms. I'm not a huge fan of rule three as I like to use hand signals to use the restroom or get out of seats. Nothing worse than having a student ask to use the restroom during classroom discussion. I'm sure I can work around this.