Whole Brain Teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Giggles, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 16, 2013

As I prepare for my first year as a teacher, I find myself researching various teaching strategies.

I am a very energetic and enthusiastic person, and I want that to come off in my teaching. I know that my classroom will include a large amount of cooperative learning activities, but I am also possibly interested in incorporating Whole Brain Teaching. I am not fully on board with it yet as I still have questions, but I am willing to give it a try.

Does anyone have any experience with implementing Whole Brain Teaching strategies within the classroom? If so, what did you like about it? What challenges did you face? Would you recommend this method to other teachers?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 16, 2013

I went to a workshop on it, but I think they must have left lots of things off the agenda.

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2013

I am very definitely a fan of WBT, and I use some of their strategies in my classroom (grade 1 the past 5 years). I hope to use a few more as I move to third grade this year. My entire school will be implementing Kagan structures, so we'll see (I also like many of the Kagan structures).

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 17, 2013

I find that WBT and Kagan actually complement each other well. I've attended a Kagan workshop and LOVED it. I would love to teach at a Kagan school!

I really like many aspects of WBT, but I don't necessarily want to implement the whole thing. I'm going to look into it this summer, too. :)

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

My school uses Class, yes and it is effective. I'm reading about The Universal Homework Model - anyone use that with success?

7. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jun 17, 2013

I know that I will definitely use class-yes no matter what in my classroom. I just saw a blog post about the Universal Homework Model. What I liked best about it is that it gave students a sense of choice.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 17, 2013

It does not work with my personality, but I had a student teacher who used parts of it. It was funny to watch because the three classes took to it very differently. For instance, one group really took to "class/yes". Another group liked saying it, but never seemed to realize why they did it because it tended to rile them up, not get attention. The other class was having none of it. When she made them try, you would have thought she was torturing them. What happened was that she would say "class", and they would get quiet. They refused to say "yes". If she used an unusual voice, they looked at her like she was nuts.