Whole Brain Teaching-Cons

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Aug 13, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

I know many people talk about how great Whole Brain teaching is. I have seen many of the videos and they seem to work. But does it work really?
    I can just see my 1st graders being silly with it. I know that I took a class on classroom management and they talked about creating a calm environment and the teacher speaks in a calm low tone.
    When I watch these videos the teachers seem to be very vocal and that in return makes the kids feed off of that.

I have never done WB teaching or seen anyone in real life use it. I only learned about it from this site.

Are there any cons? Or is this really a great management system?

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2011

I used WBT a lot in first grade. I believe there is a time for calm and then there is a time for active engagement and activity. First graders are naturally talkative and active. So WBT allows them to be active in a productive manner. I found out that I had a very chatty bunch last year, so I put their desire to talk to good use and they had to have lots of "peer discussions" or "teach/ok" time.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 13, 2011

I only use parts of it but I even found it to work with my Kinders! If you're not silly about it I don't think they will be. They like having that structure and being able to respond with exactly what you want from them. It's made my think-pair-share time much more smooth!

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 13, 2011

I think I may take a few aspects of it to use with my kids. No doubt they will love it. It will be something different for the them as well as myself.

6. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 13, 2011

You guys are on the money with the real key behind WBT- the teacher's application of it.

It is a really flexible approach designed to be used however you need it. If the teacher is low key, or serious with it, then the kids will be too. It the teacher is zany and fun, then that is what you will see from the kids.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Aug 13, 2011

Interestingly, a few months ago there was quite an extensive thread that evolved into a whole brain teaching discussion. I started off being relatively against it, then researched it as others disagreed with me, then seeing more of the benefit. I still found some negatives, but overall found it to be worthwhile.

8. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2011

EdEd, I missed that somehow. Out of curiosity, what were the negatives you, or others found?