WHOA!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roseteacher12, May 4, 2010.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 4, 2010

Just found out I got an interview! I was really losing hope! Now i am super nervous because I feel like my confidence has been shut down the past 3 years of searching. It is Friday morning and I will be shopping Thursday after work for a new suit. Any store recommendations? ahhh I feel like this isn't even real. They are interviewing for 4 full days-so I know this is going to be tough! I am SO surprised they even have openings because teachers have been getting laid off like crazy around here-the past two years I didn't even get interviews in May! I think my experience and the fact that I am beginning my graduate career is helping though! OMG I'm so nervous! Help!

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 4, 2010

That's awesome! When I went suit shopping I first hit the department stores but didn't find anything that fit me well. I then went to Ann Taylor and found one I loved. Fortunately for me my MIL paid for it. You could try TJ Max or Marshalls first, I've had luck in general at TJ Max lately but wasn't looking for a suit so can't say for sure how that selection is.

Anyway, huge congrats on landing an interview in NJ!

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 4, 2010

I;m probably going to be trying all over the place, the only interview suit I have is two years old, from when I first started interviewing and I think it's time to upgrade!

5. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

May 4, 2010

CONGRATS!!! GOOD LUCK!! I also love TJ Max/Ross's because I love to make a fashion statement but not pay bunches of money ( I love those commericals - become a maxxinista!:)) Anyway, good luck to you! Forget all about those other people, layoffs, blah blah, this has NOTHING to do with the job you are about to get!

6. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 4, 2010

i feel so rusty!! i havent been on an interview since last july because i ended up getting a job offer and stopped looking (for a job I ended up leaving...) and then got my current job without an interview because I already worked for the district. I really need to get my stuff together and sit down and review interview questions!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2010

I tend to find great suits at JCPenneys.
    If you get one of their wardrober suits (
    http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.asp...IND=3&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50443|52011 ) it will pass as 2 suits for 2 rounds of interviews :)

I saw one I LOVED at Macys yesterday, but I was out shopping for Mothers Day gifts, not for me!

And I saw some great ones at Century 21 over the weekend, but again was shopping for gifts for others :(

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 4, 2010

I searched ALL over and wound up getting lucky at Century 21 and found a great skirt suit!

Why are you waiting til the night before though?

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 4, 2010

Alice, I noticed that the link you posted was for a beige suit....since you are from my area and always seem to have the right answers, what do you think about other than black/navy suits for interviews? I always thought it was a no no, but lately the other people who went before/after me or were in the writing sample room had such an array of suit colors...some not even wearing suits!

10. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 4, 2010

lol, this has nothing to do with your predicament, but on the interview I just went on, the principal at the end of the phone conversation before the interview said, "Now this is xxxx, Texas ... don't come here wearning no suit and tie. Business casual is more than fine."

:lol:

I love small country schools :)

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 4, 2010

That is too funny! Soooo, how did it go???

12. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

May 4, 2010

Went great.

I should know by this week whether or not I got the job.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2010

I don't think it has to be black or navy in education. Madison Ave, maybe, but not teaching.

But I wouldn't go on an interview except in a suit.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 4, 2010

Ok... I just have to add.... As long as you brought your way cool Jerseylisious attitude that he would have to hire you! :) Love the Jersey girls!

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 4, 2010

I am in Texas and honestly Alice, ( I respect you so it hurts me to say it....), but I would never go on an interview in Texas in a suit. It is just too dang hot! I wore a very nice dress and a coordinating sweater. I have interviewed several applicants this year and the "suits" are not really making my heart go pitter patter. But some of these young, straight out of college girls surely seem to be able to talk the language of reading/writing workshop.

Having said that... I would hire Alice - sight unseen! :)

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 4, 2010

Good luck, rose!

I got a really nice suit at JCPenney in the fall. They have a really good collection of separates (which is good for me because I need different sizes for the jacket and pants/skirt!).

17. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 4, 2010

I just got one from Penney's about 3 weeks ago. It was actually separates, and I figure I can split it up. It's a charcoal tweed, with really snazzy stitching.

Good luck shopping, and on the interview!!!!!

:2up:

18. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 4, 2010

the perils of not having a full time job-i work part time as well as teaching during the day and Thursday is the only day I can go =/ Just got the interview call today!

19. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 4, 2010

hahaha oh no! have you been watching too many Jersey Shore shows! ? I knew that would have to come up at some point in this forum LOL

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 4, 2010

I'm sure it's a regional thing.

But in THIS region, you wear a suit!

21. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 5, 2010

If you have the hair, the make-up, and the attitude... you are a shoe in! Texas loves some big hair, shiny clothes, and fun lovin' attitudes. You don't meet a stranger here! :eek: Jerseyliscious fits right in! Hope you hear something soon.... JUST SAYIN'!

22. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 5, 2010

I trust you.... But I thought in New York it was Versace?:cool:

23. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 5, 2010

maybe i should come to texas and see how that works out for me? lol i'm not sure I'm jerseylicious material though haha!

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 7, 2010

I got a short sleeved jacket for my interviews. Sort of taupe color and a feminine cut. Love it. It was very warm last summer, and the professional clothes section was full of summer jackets. :D Good luck to all!
    PS. Dont forget to check the interview questions thread! And practice those.

25. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 7, 2010

I would never go on a interview with out a suit either. I own a variety of suits, some black, but almost all of them have a bit of personality, pink pin striping, blue trim on a black suit, a beautiful brown 3/4 sleeve suit, etc

I also get the majority of mine at Ross/TJ Maxx/Nordstrom Rack

Last edited: May 7, 2010