Who were you named after & do you like it? Wht name wld u hv pckd 4 yrslf?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebel1, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I was named after my Dad's best friend's sister.
    I've never met her BUT she sounds like a very cool lady.
    I like my name. In due time I will let y'all know what it is.:D
    I'm :unsure: about what name I would have picked for myself.
    Rebel1

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

I was named after the Beatles song, Michelle. I love it. Especially now that our first lady has the same name. It was too popular for my taste in my growing up years, but now I love it very much.
    Great thread idea!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 4, 2009

My middle name is my mother's middle name and my aunt's middle name. It is one of those classic kinds of names that's been popular for over 100 years. My first name is the same as my paternal grandmother. It's a rather "old-fashioned" name . . . one of those that hasn't been popular since the early 1900's. I have never actually gone by either name.

I like my name just fine. I actually like my maternal grandmother's name better, but since she shared a name with Dad's old girlfriend, they decided against that one. :lol:

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

I was supposed to be a boy. I was not, however, and my parents decided not to think up a new name. Therefore, I have a somewhat unique, somewhat boy-like name, which I hated growing up, because I could never find bicycle license plates or pencils or cups or any of that other stuff that the Melissa's and Amanda's and Katie's had.

However, now I find it pretty cool that my name is formed by the initials of my 2 grandfathers (even though it's not spelled with initials), and I am not named Melissa or Amanda or Katie (absolutely NO OFFENSE to any Melissa's or Amanda's or Katie's-I just like my uniqueness!)

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Oct 4, 2009

Mmm....I'm not really a Zelda of course. But I am rather fond of my real name. It even has a somewhat obscure song! :D

I don't think I'd pick a different name. Though, my formal first name seems to give people fits in how to say it. They put the emphasis in the wrong spot. lol.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 4, 2009

I love my unique name! My 1st name is a combination of my mom's 1st & middle names & my middle name is the feminine form of my dad's middle name.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

:lol: Mom wouldn't have liked that @ all!
    Rebel1

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 4, 2009

One of the strangest things about my name is that my college roommate also had an obscure first name and the middle name of Elizabeth. We both went by the same name. It got kind of confusing.

10. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 4, 2009

I love my name ..its different and not that many people spell it like I do

My mom said I was named after a famous actress

11. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

I was named after a girl my mom met briefly in high school. My mom was kicked out of high school and sent to a neighboring school for a year (drugs in locker--claims they were not hers). She said their was the most beautiful girl she had ever seen with a kind spirit to match. I was named after this girl.

My middle name is Anne, and it's my mom's middle name and my cousin (who I normally call an Aunt), and will be the middle name of my daughter (if I have one).

12. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 4, 2009

I've never been a fan of my name. My dad was a huge Elvis fan, so I ended up Lisa Marie. Don't know what I would've preferred though.

13. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 4, 2009

If my dyslexic self could have understood the question, I would love to have answered it. Unfortunately my text reading software didn't get it.

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 4, 2009

I was named after my grandmothers. Thankfully my parents shortened their names or my first name would have twenty-two letters. It would have cost a fortune to embroider my name on my letter jacket in high school!

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

My real name has always been very special to me. You see, my mom was given this name at birth. It means "A gift from God." However, when her family realized she was disabled, they legally changed her name to a name that means "Our Sorrow."

Isn't that awful?

So when I was born, I was named her original name "A Gift from God." Strange thing -- I turned out to have inherited the disability from her. There was no doubt she still thought I was a gift from God, anyway. That is what makes my name so special. It showed that my Mom believed in me and valued me.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

I was named after my aunt, who passed away of cancer right before my mom found out she was pregnant with me. She was married to my mother's oldest brother. I've heard stories of her, and she sounds like she was great. I like my name-it's regal and romantic and classic. I'm called every version of it possible. My formal name, which goes on all job applications, is Katherine. My mom calls me Kate. My friends call me Katie. Dh calls me Kat, or Gato, and all his friends/co-workers know me by Kat. My middle name is from another aunt who is still alive. It flows very nicely with my first name, although I always wish it was spelled differently.

17. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 4, 2009

Wow, your poor mom. That is an awful thing to do.

18. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 4, 2009

My great grandparents on my Dad's side all had long, religious names like Ezekial, Jeddidiah, Ephriam. I guess my Dad's Mom thought those names where frivolous. She named her kids very simple names. Joe (not Joseph.) Jack (not Johnathon or Jackson.) Bill (not William.) Jim (not James.) Bob (not Robert.)

On my Mom's side, not one of them is actually called by their legal name! Mary was always called Alice. Phyllis was always called Jo. Deidre was always called Sue. William was always called Bobby. Warren was always called Frank. Don't ask me why -- I have no idea!!!!

19. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

My biological father named me after my great aunt. My name was. I always wanted a name that could be shortened as all my friends had names like Theresa, being Terri and Michelle being Chelle. So when my dad adopted me I chose to change my name to my own spelling of my aunts name. Although now when you google my name there are several people that come up with my spelling. So much for being unique.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2009

I don't really care for the shortened version of my first name, which is what everyone calls me. I call myself by the full name.

It's one of those cutsy names that ends in "y". Growing up, I always wanted to have a french name. Don't ask me why.

21. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

Nor did mine. :confused:

22. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

:eek::eek: That is awful!
    Good for your mom!

23. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

I have no idea who I was named after. My name is a compound name and I go by the initials of it. For example how a John Paul might go by JP or a Thomas Richard might go by TR.

24. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I was named after a character in a movie. I would like to change my name to something less common. Something long, so I could choose a new nickname every few years. I am leaning toward Elizabeth right now. Lizzy, Liz, Beth, Becky, Eliza....

25. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2009

My mother said she say my name on a gravestone and liked it!!!

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2009

Names are a huge controversy in my family - both of my parents were named one thing, but ended up being called something else. And they both have huge families. When they found out they were pregnant with me, they kept getting warned that someone would be offended if I were named Sarah (an aunt's name) or Connie (one grandma) and so on. So my parents gave up, combined their first names, and here I am. My name was very uncommon when I was younger, but getting popular now. I still wouldn't change it.

As a side note, my brother was named the name my father went by when he was growing up. Neither of us have a middle name.

27. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I have an unusual name for a girl, I've met several males with my name.

My dad named me after a character in a movie, she was blond and played the fiddle. I am blond and he tried really hard to get me to play the violin, but I wasn't interested.

My grandmother came up with my middle name, I've never met anyone with my middle name.

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 5, 2009

My mom named me after a tv character. And Marie my dad liked.
    Growing up I didn't like it when boys were called Jamie.

When and if I ever have a daughter I'll name her Rachel Elizabeth after a best friend that died when I was five years old.

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 5, 2009

My first name is the feminine form of my grandfather's name. He died before I was born. My middle name is my grandmother's name. I think the two names go well together. They are both French in origin my mother intended for my name to have an accent mark somewhere in it but I never use it :rolleyes: I have no idea what name I would have chosen for myself. I just don't like people using a shortened version of my first name. It drives me nuts and sounds idiotic to me. My brother refuses to call me by my full name and sticks a Y at the end! I know he does it to annoy me! :mad:

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 5, 2009

OK, this is just making me DIE with curiosity as to what people's names are! I am getting hints, now I want the real thing!

:lol:

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2009

I was named after a French actress that my dad thought was hot. It wasn't until years later that he confessed that to my mom.

32. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

I'm named after my dad, not a junior, who was named after a great uncle. I admit my given name has been a trial in the past especially when I was younger because it is an uncommon name and then commonly used on a popular TV show. It's serviceable and I wouldn't change it.

33. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

I was lucky not to have been given a "cutesy" name because I am not a cutsey girl. My parents just picked it out of nowhere and it is simple, hard to make a nickname out of it and I like it and wouldn't change it. My best friend's name is Debbie Lou. Poor girl. Imagine being 56 years old and being Debbie Lou. That I would change.

34. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 5, 2009

I was named after my great-grandmothers...one from each side on my mom's side...VERY OLD FASHIONED...ugh...

I go by my nickname...that my dad gave to me when I was born...haha. He wanted to name me Rachel...and my mom wanted Elizabeth Claire...weird...I ended up with a name that my great aunt was going to name her child...but she couldn't due to numerous miscarriages.
    My brothers have very common names.

If I had to name myself...no clue...

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2009

My name is something my mom just liked. Middle name is a family name that my mom, aunt & was a fam name from an old fam member.

It is in a couple of songs as well. And in a book that I love.

36. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2009

I'm not sure where my parents got my name from. I don't like it. I hate it growing up. I hated my last name and middle name even more. Most people say they like my first name because it's uncommon and sounds "exotic". I don't get it.

If I could give myself a new name???

Growing up, I wanted to change it. Here is a list of names I wished I had instead:

1. Melissa
    2. Lisa
    3. Emily
    4. Catherine

If I could rename myself now? I have no clue. Something pretty and different, but not weird different. I would look at names from other countries to find what I want.

37. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I use to want to be named Leslie Stewart. I sent one of those spam postcards in under that name, and got slammed with tons of offers, free samples, etc. (I was in elementary). I 'won' a cruise, and I remember crying and crying because it wasn't under my name. I'm sure it was spam as well, but I was CONVINCED I could have gone, if only I explained the situation to them.

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 5, 2009

I like the shortened version of my name only. I was named after no one.

39. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 5, 2009

I just remembered, my dad did name me after a Knots Landing actress Michele Lee. That is no longer my name, though...

40. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2009

Actually my daughter has the same name as you do (at least the first name on your blog) and she finally met another girl with that name. She was so excited. We got her name from a country music song that was popular when she was born.

41. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 5, 2009

My name is a good old fashioned Italian first name because my both of my grandmothers were born in Italy but my dad's last name was very German so I was given an Italian first name. I probably would never change my name but I always said that I would give my children common names because I could never find anything with my name on it. I did give them normal names execpt my oldest daughter has a typically male name so everthing for her name was always boy things, my middle daughter has a very common but of course I spelled it differently than most so they never could get named things either. My son is named Tim which is too common.