Who was your favorite teacher?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Tired Teacher, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 9, 2019

Why was this teacher so special to you?
    Can you remember 1 elementary and 1 HS that stand out?
    Mine was a 2nd grade teacher named Miss Welsh. She taught me probably more than any other teacher about real life. Even back in those days, she taught a lot about current events. She was young and nice, but I remember 1 kid pushed her to the point that she spanked him! She taught me things that happened 10-30 yrs later. I can't think of HS teacher, but am going to try. :)

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 9, 2019

I liked most of my teachers, but I liked school in general. I was especially fond of my first grade teacher, Miss Richardson, and my sixth grade teacher, Mr. Taylor. In high school I didn’t feel like I knew teachers as well, but Mrs. Witt had me for several math classes. I loved her structured classroom. I’m FB friends with my third & fourth grade teachers, my 8th grade English teacher, and my high school band director.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

That is way cool you have been able to keep contact with those teachers. I have 4 kids from the other side of the country that found me when FB came out. Some have sent me pictures of their weddings and kids via snail mail and I talk to 1 on the phone every so often. She's in her 30's now! I always wished I could find Miss Welsh because I have so much to tell her about how she impacted my life. But, I heard she moved and probably got married. I don't even know the correct spelling of her last name anymore.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 10, 2019

My favorite teacher was Mrs. Rouse in 4th grade. This was back when students sat in alphabetical order, in straight rows. Mrs. Rouse believed in "hands on" learning, which was an unusual thing back then. The other teachers thought she was radical.

Mrs. Rouse brought hand tools to school -- drills, and saws, and hammers, and we built things! We learned to measure twice and cut once.

We transformed our room into an Alaskan Fishing Village, an ecology station, an airport (and took a trip to Brazil,) and all kinds of things. We built huge props and our desks were inside these props. We never sat in rows, and we were allowed to sit any where when we did work -- at our desk, under our desk, on the floor.

The boys (okay, this was way back, I know it was sexist that only the boys got to do it) wired a sound system that included an intercom and microphone system. They built it from scratch!

We built two dog sleds out of wood, (I learned how to use a wood plane) and waxed the blades, and then our teacher brought in her two huge St. Bernards and harnesses, and we went outside in the snow and had dog sled races! We each took a turn being the "musher."

We put on musicals (The King and I, and Oklahoma, and Christmas Around the World) and made all the costumes ourselves. We learned to sew, and bead, and cut fabric (again, measure twice, cut once.) We learned how to use a manual sewing machine. We practiced those songs and choreography daily until it was an amazing production. Those who didn't want to sing and dance sold tickets, collected money, and acted as ushers. Those who were especially artistic made the backdrops.

It was an incredible year! It's why I wanted to be a teacher later in life. With common core, mandatory district pacing guides, and such, teaching could never be like this again -- but boy, it sure needs to be.

Tired Teacher and MrsC like this.
  6. a2z

a2z Maven

Nov 10, 2019

My third grade teacher was incredible. I am so lucky to have had her as my teacher. She was always bringing something new or interesting into school to show the class and teach us about different places or different things. She worked well with all students. She allowed advanced kids to do their own thing when they were done, as long as it was academically based. She ran a tight classroom but did so in a way that she wasn't mean or overbearing. She was always helping someone during work time, and it didn't matter if it was the top student who was stuck on something or the lowest student who always needed a helping hand. At the time, special education was only for those who were cognitively disabled or severely handicapped. So, our classroom had kids with all sorts of issue. She worked well with all of them. I don't remember her ever yelling.

We wrote and performed plays for the school in her class. We did individual work sitting in rows, then had group work where we would turn our desks and work on some projects together, but were never graded as a group. I never remember being bored or having idle time in her class.

I can't really think of an outstanding HS teacher. Many were good, but I can't think of one who was exceptional who I would emulate.

7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

Laughing, you and I were in school at the same time frame! That sounds like a way cool classroom! I can see why she was your favorite teacher. I learned a ton about AK in Miss Welsh's class too. I remember thinking, "What a beautiful far off land, but I will never really see it in real life." Little did I know what life had in store for me! :)
    Making dog sleds would have been so fun to me and getting to use them would have been the icing on the cake. Sadly, you are right. Due to the changes in education a lot of these fun learning experiences are far and few between in most places now. Although, the new trend here now involves "making things" for evaluations. Our state did not accept common core and does not put a ton of emphasis on test scores even though we still have to test the kids more than desired, so it is not as bad as other places.
    It was like your teacher was way ahead of her time and went with her own flow. I wish there was a way to let teachers know the impact they had on us. It is possible for some, but I tried years ago and hit a brick wall. I don't know enough about her ( not even her 1st name) and she'd probably be in her late 70's now w/ a different last name, in a different state. I guess what we can take from it all, is the impact we can make on kid's lives even if we never know.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 10, 2019

Unfortunately, my beloved teacher passed away long ago. I hope she knew...I really do.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 10, 2019

Now that sounds like a wonderful teacher! I remember being so bored sometimes as a kid because if you finished your work early, there wasn't anything fun to do. That is something I knew I'd make sure to have as a teacher. I remember writing backwards trying to take more time to finish an assignment and making tally marks counting down the minutes until we could do something else. That wouldn't fly nowadays. Besides, it was a waste of time.