Who Wants a One-Way Ticket to Live on Mars?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 23, 2013

3. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 23, 2013

I wouldn't because I wouldn't want to leave my family behind, but I have friends who said they would do it. I understand the appeal, and if I didn't have close family, I'd probably do it! I do love travel. :p

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 23, 2013

I wouldn't be able to get a new hearing aid and I doubt the others would be all willing to learn how to sign.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 23, 2013

I think I'll apply but only if any children that fiance and I have while living there will be considered Martians.

EDIT: I was half joking...I was actually considering applying until I realized that it's ONE WAY! That's insane! I can't imagine never returning to Earth, even if I was an orphan with no friends or family, mainly because there would be no one there to regulate people.

I feel like it has the potential to become a toxic situation, kind of like in the moves, "Blindness" and "the Experiment" when people took advantage of desperate situations and without the normal constraints of society and decorum things went from good to worse. Nope, not for me!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

Cool! :)

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2013

Wow! I wonder if it will actually go through! Cool stuff for sure.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2013

If my family could come with me, I'd go for sure!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

I think this sounds like a miserable existence. How about you?

Mars is not as close to Earth as Venus is, but it probably is the only planet in our solar system that we can colonize. But living there won’t be simple.

Mars is poorly suited for human habitation. There’s some ice at the poles and perhaps some water in underground repositories. Gravity is only 38 percent as strong as on Earth. The atmosphere is thin and consists mostly of carbon dioxide (95%). So colonists would have to either take air from Earth or make air on Mars. Plants efficiently separate the oxygen bound to carbon and therefore can make air we can breathe, so colonists should take plants along.

The Martian atmosphere is too thin to hold oxygen, which would just escape to space. So the plants would have to be cultivated in greenhouses and the oxygen they produce kept in flasks.

Mars has a very weak magnetic field, and its atmosphere offers little protection against radiation from space. So the Martian colonists would have to build radiation protection into their houses and wear thick suits. Unlike Earth, where most incoming meteorites burn up in the atmosphere, many meteorites crash dangerously onto the surface of Mars.

The Martian weather is awful. It’s cold: the average temperature of the southern hemisphere is minus 60 degrees Celsius; even at the equator, it’s seldom over zero. Winds are fierce and blow at speeds of several hundred kilometres an hour, and storms can last for months. The wind whirls up fine dust that penetrates everything and sticks to all surfaces, which literally would toss sand in the gears of vital mechanical and electronic equipment.

Today, there are no concrete, approved plans for sending people to Mars. The earliest date mentioned in official papers is 2019, which would be 50 years after the first Moon landing.

10. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 23, 2013

All I can think of is Ray Bradbury's "Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed" :lol:

So... I guess I'll stay here.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 23, 2013

Well, I wouldn't go, but I might buy tickets for some people I know. :p

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

:lol:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2013

NASA has extremely limited operations, no more shuttles and a limited budget....I'm not thinking our country is going o financially get behind a Mars program that will pour BILLIONS and BILLIONS more into what is already a seemingly insurmountable debt...I guess it's nice for some to dream of Mars living...just doubt it's going to happen in any foreseeable future.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 23, 2013

I felt like I was reading an article on the Onion the whole time I was reading this... I actually had to check the top a couple of times to make sure it was CNN. lol.

So, no. I will not be going to Mars. Did anyone catch the reality TV angle towards the end of the article? :dizzy:

15. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 23, 2013

I just moved here! Think I'll stay put. DD heard about this. I gave her the mom look. She's already moving 35 miles away...no way is she going to Mars:)

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2013

"A Dutch company called Mars One began looking Monday for volunteer astronauts to fly to Mars. Departure for the Red Planet is scheduled for 2022, landing seven months later in 2023.

The idea of starting a colony on Mars in 10 years seems so out of this world that CNN contacted one of the mission's potential suppliers to check on Mars One's credibility."

Okay, am I only the only one who didn't "realize" that this is slated for only ten years in the future?! Meaning, when I first read the date of 2023 I was thinking that it was many years away. When I kept reading and got to the second paragraph above, it freaked me out. Just like I think the 90s were yesterday...

Anyway, I looooove science and astronomy so I'm all for dreaming and planning. :)

17. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 23, 2013

I think it's exciting. You'd be a pioneer in so many ways. Getting to see another planet?! Very cool.

Czacza, it's a private company from another country, not NASA. They're not the first private company that plans to take people into space, maybe just the first to Mars! For example, Virgin (airlines, cell phones, etc) has a branch called Virgin Galactic that plans to people into space for the right sum.

18. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Apr 25, 2013

I loved Feed, but wasn't a huge fan of the ending. If you're into YA dystopian novel may I recommend (if you haven't already read) "After" and "Rash" by Pete Hautman. Those books were AMAZING. After I liked because it was kind of a "What If" after a Columbine-like situation. Rash made me feel like I was in the not to distant future where prison labor makes up 98% of the work force.

Sorry! :hijack:

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2013

Is "After" the actual title of the book? I searched for Pete Hautman on Goodreads, but there is no listing for that book. Do you have the ISBN number or something so I could look it up another way? I'd love to read it.