Who uses Daily 5?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bonneb, Nov 1, 2009.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

I will be beginning using Daily 5 in the next few days. I've been swamped and have not had the time to prepare to just plop it down on the kids, but plan to add one part each week till we are doing all 5 parts every day.

Do any of you do Daily 5? What is your opinion of it? What have been some things that have helped you have success with your lessons? We have a friend on the boards teaching K, so does anyone have advice for that teacher?

Any favorite lessons you would share?

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 1, 2009

Funny you should ask... my fellow third grade teacher went to a conference with the sisters a few weeks ago, and has been raving about it. I finished reading the book today, and will be starting on Tuesday.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2009

I do it and I'm a K teacher. I love it, as do all of the teachers at my school who do it (another K, all 4 1st grades, all 3 2nd grades, and a 5th grade). We all started it this year.

My best advice is to follow the plan in the book. It really, really works. Our students are SO EXCITED about reading and they work very independently during D5 time.

I started very, very slowly. We do 20 minutes of read to self now. We have also practiced read to someone, I've introduced a few of the activities for word work, and I introduced work on writing. This week we'll be doing 2 15-20 minute rotations and I'll give them choice on what they do.

The "three ways to read a book" is like magic for primary students. My students are so engaged in their books it is amazing. One day our principal walked in to talk to me and only one student in the class even noticed someone had entered the room. These are 5-year-olds we're talking about!

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

That is so great!

Can you briefly tell the 3 ways to read a book?

6. monsieurteacher

Nov 1, 2009

1. Read the words
    2. Read the pictures
    3. Retell a story you already read/know

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2009

Thanks!

Do you all get this from parents? "He is not really reading, just looking at the pictures!" How I want to scream when I hear that phrase!

8. black123

black123 Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

What are some mini-lessons that you do in K when you do Daily 5?

9. macteach

macteach Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

I don't want to pirate this thread, but has anyone used it for Math?

My grade level partner and I are trying it out for math. We currently have a red group and a blue group. We just need to work on differentiating our instructions more. We would like to incorporate more choices. We are having a hard time fitting it in our existing schedule. Can any of you tell us what works for you if you use it for math? Thanks.

10. monsieurteacher

Nov 1, 2009

I'm no expert in K, but it seems to me that you could do any minilesson that you would normally do and fit it in to the Daily 5. The Daily Five isn't so much about the types of lessons as it is the structure and consistency.

11. black123

black123 Rookie

Nov 1, 2009

I know, but I am curious as to what some minilessons teachers are doing.

12. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 1, 2009

Bonne- I've been watching some training videos on teaching reading to young children on PD360. I've seen a few classrooms use the Daily 5 in their classrooms and use the 3 ways to read a book. What a fantastic way to teach reading skills! As a result, I've started using some of these methods when I read to my Pre-K.

I'll show the cover of the book and ask the children if they see any clues that will tell them what the book is about. Some of them can tell from pictures and a few can read some words in the title. I'll do this on a page or two while I read.

13. monsieurteacher

Nov 3, 2009

I was so excited to start with this today... only to discover that half my class was out sick :(

Maybe tomorrow (though more likely next week from the sounds of things)...

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 3, 2009

I can relate - my day began with all the kids here for the first time in weeks, then one student went home sick! I have a project that I do the first half of Sept. that we have not been able to begin!