Who Uses Airborne?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 14, 2005

I'm sure you've heard of it. Those effervescent tablets, created by a 2nd grade teacher that you drop in your water to prevent you from catching a cold. You're supposed to take it when you know you're going to be facing lots of people or at the first sign of cold symptoms.

I've used it when I was trying to nip a cold in the bud. Although I was still out sick, I think it helped because I never got a sore throat. It would have been worse if I hadn't been using it. The last time I went to the store to get another box of it, it was sold out, so people must think it's effective. What do you think of it?

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2005

I was looking at that the other day, but I didn't buy any. I thought kindergarten classrooms were bad for spreading germs, but I'm starting to think that dorm life is worse! Is it worth my money to buy this stuff?

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Nov 14, 2005

It works alright -- helps to minimize/lessen/shorten the symptoms. I think that if you are able to eat right and exercise (be healthy, in other words), it might have the same effect. But how many of us can actually claim to be that healthy, right? I use it when I am going into large groups, especially this time of year. :) It helped last year, definitely.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2005

I thought it was the absolute nastiest stuff I've ever tried to swallow! EEWW!!! Yuck! P-tooey!!

I couldn't manage to get even one dose down. I tried the lemon-lime version.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 15, 2005

I had thought of trying it too, but I don't know if it's really worth it.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 15, 2005

I don't know guys. I've used it and am not really that impressed. Especially for how many tablets you get for the price. It's hard for me to drink Alka-Seltzer type things. I also tried the Lemon-lime version, hoping it wouldn't be that bad. It was. I just don't think it's worth the money.

8. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 15, 2005

How much are we talking for what cost? I've never heard of this and the first thing that comes to my mind is "scam" to be honest. I've never seen it though.

Has anyone ever tried the nighttime vaporizer plug ins?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 15, 2005

Actually it's quite famous. A teacher developed it. We've been waiting for about a year for it to come in our area so we could buy it. I think there is what 6-10 tablets per bottle (not positive). Right now it's $6 at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and Target.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 15, 2005

The one time I used it my cold did seem shorter. I tried the orange version. It was like drinking weak Tang.

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2005

I considered getting some but was also unsure of how well it worked. I'm a sceptic because any product I see on a call in an order late night TV ad sends up red flags. But I've seen it in two packs at wal mart.

JenPooh I was also wondering if anyone has tried the nighttime vaporizer plug ins. I think I'd prefer that over waking up smelling like vics. (I also use vics for seasonal allergies--seems to help).

12. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 16, 2005

What about the zinc tablets, or is that about the same thing as Airborne?

13. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 16, 2005

Zinc tablets

I've tried the zinc and I didn't like it. The ones I used are the ones you suck on. They tasted like metal. I ended up spitting them out. I also tried the new Zicam and didn't like that either. I hate Alka, but TheraFlu is pretty good to soothe the throat. I also use a lot of Vic. I love the smell and the heat it gives off when I am sick.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Last night I broke open a package of Vicks Sinex nasel spray. It works for 12 hours and I have to say it works GREAT! I finally got sick of going to bed and trying to breath through other holes I don't have...between my nose being plugged and my glop going down the back of my throat...ick! I think I'm going to try and find the Vicks plug ins for the boy...he's getting pretty stuffy now too:(.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

Jen, I wondered if any one tried those as well and the shower tablet things.

I remember my mom had some little container of like Vicks stuff she put by my bed in High school. I think it helped.

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

I used the vicks sinex this morning at 7:30 and my nose is still clear!!! It suppose to work for 12 hours so I would recommend it to anyone. I hope I don't have a sinus infection :(.

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2005

So far my best trick is using cough drops and sore throat spray all the time, my doctor told me that my throat was too dry and that's why I was getting every cold that came by and losing my voice so often...

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 16, 2005

I've had constant ear infections since last year. The cause of it is my sinus cavities swelling up, so I actually get a sinus and ear infection at the same time. When I was away from my classroom for about a month last summer, I got better. What I find to help me are a few samples from the doctor: nasonex, allegraD, and some ear drops (those are actually perscription-but they help the fevers and swelling). If I feel a headache coming on I immediatly take an Equate Severe Sinus/Allergy pill. If I don't take it then, It could turn into a 3-4 day headache that I can't get rid of.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 16, 2005

I use to use Flonase all the time while in college when I got sinus infections. Then...I got addicted to it. It was aweful. Non-habit forming my butt!!! My sinuses were so use to having flonase every day that when I'd stop, it would get worse. Finally I realized what I was doing and stopped. Flonase works well, but just be cautious if you ever get a prescription for it.

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2005

I used Flonase too. I stopped when I had a massive cold. After that whenever I used it I got a bloody nose. Before I started using Flonase the Dr. started me on a nose spray that was like an inhaler, before she got approval to prescribe it. (since Flonase is a steroid). It usually worked, if I took it twice a day, but I hated tasting it. Good thing you realized Flonase became addictive and stopped. Whenever I take NiteQuil I have to monitor myself and stop when I know the cold is almost gone, or I get addicted to such a sound sleep. (the pills aren't as addictive as the liquid medicine--so I avoid the liquid form)

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Nov 16, 2005

But the liquid feels so nice on a sore throat...

22. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 16, 2005

That is true, and it makes the inside the chest feel soothed.

23. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2005

Tried Airborne and was not at all impressed. It was so bad tasting I thought I was going to throw up. I still got a cold.

24. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 16, 2005

I use Vick's spray, too and love it. It works better than any other spray I've tried. I take nyquil only on nights that I don't have school the next day (it knocks me flat on my butt!!). Cough drops are the hard part. The only ones I like are the original Ludens and I have trouble finding them most of the time. :(

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 16, 2005

I think the Airborne orange flavor is better than the lemon lime flavor, I mean they both taste horrible, but between the 2, that's the flavor I'd get.

Here's their website for more info: http://www.airbornehealth.com

I'd use it again...until I find something better. (BTW, I happened to post this thread on another type of discussion board & practically everyone who posted swears by Airborne).

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 17, 2005

How funny! I think the census here is that most of us don't like it. I'm not going to try the other flavor. I've just got to make myself use the one I bought, and not buy any more.

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2005

I have an issue...I am so ill and I am suppose to sing at church this Sunday...and not with a choir or anything...with a microphone so there is no way I can "hide" my voice. Do any of you know what I can do to sooth my throat in the meantime? I'm going to the doctor today finally, but I am so nervous I wont be able to sing. I don't want to bail on our poor music director at the last minute.

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 17, 2005

When I'm sick and it's my turn to sing a solo, I sing a soft song. That way I don't strain my voice. I also keep mints or cough drops in my mouth until it's time to sing. Dayquil (sp?) also helps me. I use the liquid kind to sooth my throat.

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2005

I don't have a choice of what to sing. It's handed to me, and I sing during the whole service...about 6 songs total:(. I will have to try the mints and cough drop trick. It's the drainage going down my throat that is killing me:(. I have some Dayquil too...I'll try that as well.

30. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 17, 2005

Keep kleneex with you too.

31. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 17, 2005

I am a true believer in Airbourne. I take it faithfully each morning, and I honestly feel it helped me a lot last year. Thanks for the info on the Vicks, I will pick it up for the daughter.
    IMATEACHER, your comments cracked me up! I will agree it does taste like weak tang! LOL

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2005

A parent just recommended Musinex to me. Does anyone have any info on that?

33. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 17, 2005

I used hot tea with lemon and some honey. Maybe you can bring some with you. I also use cough drops. Just keep your throat moist when it gets dry.

34. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 17, 2005

The doctor told my sister to get some of that, and so far they seem to think it works pretty well.

35. lena1275

lena1275 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005

I use it and it works! I always feel better after I drink it.

36. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Nov 22, 2005

Hello All

With all this talk about what to use when getting sick I am now sick..I woke up yesterday with a stuffy nose and sore throat and muscle aches. I went to my doctor today and he told me the best thing to use is Robutussin(sp). I bought some of their cough drops with honey in the middle and they taste great. It always happens when I get ready to go on a trip I end up getting sick. Wish me well...Happy Turkey day to you all!

37. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 22, 2005

Even if you are sick, you can take Airbourne, and it helps you feel better. Especially if you are in the beginning stages.
    Take care and have a good Thanksgiving.

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2005

On Friday I finally got some antibiotics for my infection. I'm finally feeling better and can breath well. I was given the 3 day Zithromax. I actually was able to sing at church on Sunday as well. Not my best, but I least I hit the notes right. Hopefully I can dodge other incoming sicknesses well this year:). I may try the Airborne stuff next time I get sick. I'm going to start remembering to take my vitamins a lot more though now that the ill season is here. Hopefully that will help!

39. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 23, 2005

Take Airborne daily, then if you start to become sick I think the package says to drink it a couple times a day.

40. maddogatTCHS

maddogatTCHS Guest

Dec 4, 2005

I think Airborne is excellent if you use it to prevent a cold. Of course, how do you really know if you prevented it!?

41. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Dec 4, 2005

Another teacher gave me a container of Airborne (she swears by it) but I haven't used it yet. I admit, I'm a bit hesitant. Yes, it was created by a teacher, which sounds wonderful.....but I would really rather take something created by a medical professional.