Who to email?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Aug 17, 2012.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

I have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer or give advice on. I mailed my resume packet yesterday to a school that just posted an opening for a journalism teaching job, which is what I have been doing in my non-teaching job for the last 16 years. I am not getting my hopes up because I have come to realize that many things go on behind the scenes and they may even already have someone in mind. However, I also want to email the principal. The problem is that the posting simply states high school. This district has two high schools. The website isn't very helpful because it seems to be under renovation. Anyway, would you email both principals or neither since I am unsure which one.
    Thanks.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2012

email your cover letter and resume to both, and to every other high school prinicpal you can find, regardless of who is showing openings.

4. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

That makes it easier than trying to figure out which one to focus on. Thanks.

5. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 17, 2012

Well, I emailed both principals and apparently impressed the wrong one, but it felt good to hear positive feedback and maybe he'll remember my name for future openings. I sent a short email that said that I had applied to the district for the open position and attached my cover letter, resume and letters of recommendation. He wrote back within an hour and said that based on my email alone he would love to get me in his school, but the position was in the other high school in the district. I thanked him and he asked if I had emailed the other principal, which I had. I didn't hear back from the other principal. The deadline for applying is Tuesday so I am praying for an interview. We'll see.

6. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 17, 2012

Be persistent and follow up with the second principal.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 17, 2012

I agree, and the good news is that principals tend to talk :)

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 17, 2012

Good luck!

And my friend that was hired in the D told me they will be needing more teachers. So there is hope!

9. Purposeinteach

Purposeinteach Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

I have mailed countless packets to various school districts in two states and I have also emailed principals directly. I emailed a principal about 20 minutes ago and heard back from her within 10 minutes asking for my resume and references.

I would try any and ALL options that you have because you never know which one of those might work!

10. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

That's good that you got this principal's attention, even if it was for a different school! I'm sure he frequently communicates with the other principal, so maybe he gave him a heads up about your resume. Good luck!

11. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 24, 2012

Well, I guess they didn't think I was quite as qualified as I thought I was for the position. The application deadline was Tuesday at 4 p.m. and nothing. I really thought I would at least get an interview. I am a second career applicant and my first career (16-year journalist) was the very subject they were trying to fill. I suppose there are about a thousand other applicants who are just better than me. Teachers go back next week and school starts Sept. 4 so I am out of the game. I am tired and frustrated. I am not sure what else I can do. I truly feel like I made the biggest mistake at this point. I am sorry to be such a downer. I just really, really wanted an interview for this specific posting. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. Too bad the job wasn't at the other principal's school. He seemed to like me. I am going to send out some emails to principals after school starts that I want to offer free after-school tutoring this year if they need it. I can't afford to sub because I have three children and it would mean a significant pay cut. If I can get myself in some schools even for free programs, I will at least have something current for my resume.
    Good luck to everyone else and thanks for all of the advice.

12. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 24, 2012

Wow! I just read this over. I really need to pull out my tiny violin at this point. This is just pathetic. Oh well. I need some ice cream.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2012

Are you certified to teach, acl?

14. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 24, 2012

Yes. I went back to school for my certification. Took forever even with my bachelor's degree, but I could only go part time. I student taught in winter 2011 and was officially certified last September after school started.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

:hugs:

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

I'm sorry :(

Did you apply for the job I PMed you about??