Who to ask for a professional reference?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Nab, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Nab

Nab Companion

Nov 18, 2015

I begin student teaching/internship in mid-January. We are having several meetings and at every meeting, it is strongly suggested that we start applying for positions as early as February. It is also strongly suggested that we use only professional references, who know our style of teaching or our strengths in the classroom.

I need three references and was thinking of asking one of my professors, my future mentor teacher, and a teacher that I did observations with. I have had several professors, who have told me that I have creative and interesting ideas for classroom activities and assessments. So, I would love to ask one or two for a reference. I believe this would be okay.

But, I'm curious - would it be okay to ask a teacher I often observed (and did a few classroom activities with) - to be a reference? There was one teacher, last semester, who I spent twenty hours observing and I even taught a lesson with her first hour class. I want to ask her, because she gave me great feedback. But, I am uncertain if I should ask. She may not remember me.

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 19, 2015

You can always ask... I always include a current resume so that if they don't remember me, hopefully something on my resume will spark their memory. Though I will say many teachers are busy, I usually ask 2 or 3 teachers/professors when I just need one letter of recommendation.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Nov 19, 2015

Ah, I remember having to provide references for my very first job. It's hard when you don't have previous experience. I think I asked professors and a family I used to babysit for since I had no other experience with children!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 19, 2015

Ask. The worse thing that could happen is that she says no and you are back to where you are now.

The letter may mention she had limited time observing you, but I bet that is rather typical for pre-student teaching.

6. Stacy9876

Stacy9876 Rookie

Nov 21, 2015

I don't see why it would hurt to ask. Good luck!

7. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 21, 2015

That's who did my first references. My mentor teacher from my last term of my program and solo teaching placment (I was also his para all year so he had a lot of experience with me since we basically co-taught the class all year and we became great friends) a teacher who I taught 2 lessons in her class and observed her teaching many times, my proff and a teacher who worked for the district who had sent me a lot of kids to tutor that I helped get from below grade level to on grade level in a short period of time so though we hadn't worked together per se she did see the results of my teaching.