Who thinks about school all the time... even on summer vacation?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mrsammieb, Jul 3, 2016.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 3, 2016

Why oh why do I think about school all the time. I mean, I've relaxed of course but as we hit July and teachers go back July 25 I can't stop thinking about school. Things I want to do before I get in the game. Who also cannot get school off the mind?

christie and mathmagic like this.
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2016

I've been working on something school related almost every day - if not specifically school related, then doing reading of kids' books (fourth grade-ish level)!

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 3, 2016

I spend way too much time working on school-related things over the summer. But part of the reason is that there isn't a darn thing to do around here in the summer (at least, not that I can afford.) So I feverishly work away and try to fill the days.

-Rain

5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 3, 2016

This will be my first year teaching and I just can't get enough of planning, pepping, and gathering things for my classroom.
    Bless my non-teacher husband; he's been laminating, cutting, and reassuring me that my classroom theme is coming along all summer. :D

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2016

Me, and I've been teaching 17 years. I have switched grades several times, plus this summer I am thinking more about the relationships of my team and one member in particular.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2016

My teaching position is kind of unique since I teach the same students for several years. So, each summer I add one more grade level to my plans. For example, last year I added 6th grade curriculum. This year I am adding 7th grade curriculum and I will have complete curriculum for grades 2-7 (the academic levels of my students). My school uses a scripted curriculum which is easy to write plans for. Then, during the year I can supplement as needed.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2016

I check email periodically as we are waiting on a contract announcement. But otherwise not thinking about school at all. I'm thinking about beach fun. And margaritas.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    bella84 likes this.
  10. christie

christie Rookie

Jul 4, 2016

I still do. I just finished my 16th year of teaching, though it was my first year in a new job, with new grades. I'm spending a good chunk of the summer working through what went well and what didn't and figuring out how to fix what didn't. I feel like it's time well spent.

I'm also doing a lot of relaxing, but I like thinking about school and figuring out how to be better.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2016

ME!!!! I am switching schools and am going to be teaching a new program. I'm actually spending this week going through about 22 bins full of my classroom belongings that are in my garage. The school that I will be teaching in, is not even finished being built so we don't even know what color the walls in our classrooms will be, so I can't even think about decorating it.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 4, 2016

This will be my 4th year at this job and by now I kinda got a routine for the summer. For the most part I don't thinkabout school at all, but it's often in the back of my head, mostly about planning curriculum. Then when the mood strikes, I sit down and start researching. start making some loose planning for the fall semester, and actually get a lot done that way. Then the week before school starting I go full force, but by then most of the work is done, I just need to fine tune things.

This year is different. We're merging with another school, so everything will be different. Same students, and more of the same type of students, but different school rules and new boss !! :( Our P quit :( Not even sure how to or what to plan, because it seems like this restructuring / mergin was done by the higher ups in about 5 minutes and they haven't thought everything through. Which means they don't have a lot of answers and we don't really know everything.
    So I don't even think about school right now, because all this unknown would probably give me anxiety and stress, and I need to make sure I have a relaxed, funfilled summer and be ready for whatever the new school year will bring.

And I will starts having crazy dreams about school, 1-2 weeks before school starts. I had one ast night, I was running incredibly late, the clock said 9:72, which somehow meant 8:72, which meant 8 o'clock with 72% of the hour being one, so it was about 8:42 am lol. But I wasn't stressing at all, I just didn't like that I'm already late on the first day lol

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2016

Me...right now I'm at a family picnic, on Independence Day, reading Book Whisperer.
    In my defense, I separate myself from the group on purpose.
    I am by the pool, with a margarita, so how much book will I recall?
    I also make lists which helps me stay focused.
    I have the permanent document of the must dos checklist for day one.
    Then the would like list.
    Neither gets attention until August but in WI we do not begin school until Sept

14. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2016

I also think it is what a teacher does. We go back to school on August 5th which is one month from tomorrow. I have already been working in my classroom since I am taking a two-week course from July 11-23. I have PD on the 25th and 26th and my class has to ready for August 2 for orientation. With all this being said, I feel like I have these four days left this week to finish getting my class ready. So I have school on my mind lots and lots. But I don't have much left to do. For me, my summer is basically over.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 4, 2016

I just realized when I read this that we go back August 4th, which is one month from now :(.

I don't really do any schoolwork in the summer, partially because I feel like I've earned the time off and partially because I hate redoing things when I go back to school and find there are new policies, programs, etc. However, no matter how hard I try it is kind of always in the back of my mind, even in the middle of summer! I guess that goes with the job though. My mom (also a teacher) always used to say that she could never be happy in a job where she came in and punched a clock and didn't care about what she was doing.

mathmagic likes this.
  16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 4, 2016

This is the longest summer I've had in a long time. Our start date was pushed back because we're building a new campus. I really haven't done any serious school work for a little over 3 weeks. I'm in a The Book Whisperer book club and I've done some light internet search stuff - just fun stuff with no pressure. I've also read a couple kids' books, which I don't really consider true work. Other than that, really nothing. I'm going on a 2 week vacation in a couple days. When we come back, I'll have about month left of until the kids come. That's when I'll start working. I have a lot of planning I want to do and I will need to set up a brand new classroom. By then, I should feel rested enough from my almost 6 weeks off.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 5, 2016

I go back to work on Monday, July 25th. Teachers report back on Tuesday, August 8th. A lot of teachers come back to school before August 8th, though, because they want to get head starts on their rooms. I used to be one of those teachers who'd come in early; otherwise, I'd be stressing about getting my classroom set up in time.

Each year, I am constantly amazed at how we (educators) can take a room from hideous to beautiful in a matter of a few days! It's pure talent, I tell ya!

18. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jul 7, 2016

I don't think too much about school during summer, which FEELS great. Normally when I wake up (5:30-6), my mind immediately goes to school and kids and stuff. It feels like carrying a constant weight for 10 months.

It's like that analogy about carrying a glass of water and being able to put it down. I struggle with that a lot of the time. But during summer? I put the glass down.

19. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 7, 2016

I haven't had that many summers-before-a-teaching-year but I tend to think A LOT about teaching over the summer and do a lot of planning/ preparation.

I was going to mix it in with a lot of other stuff this summer but then I went and broke my ankle soon after school got out and had to have surgery to repair it. So now I am somewhat immobile and stuck and spending a lot more time on the computer and reading books and planning than I had meant to since I can't get out and about with my kids nearly as much. At least it's something to keep me occupied, though!

20. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I really try not to, and i normally dont during summer! Christmas vacation is a different story