Who stocks the toys and books in your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Topsy, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Jan 6, 2016

I've been an elementary sub for a few years and have been in quite a few different classrooms in different schools. I have a question for those of you with your own classrooms:

Who owns all the books in the book bins and all the toys, games, and manipulatives in the room?

In some 4th and 5th grade rooms, the guided reading groups have assigned texts, so there will be 6 copies of Stone Fox, 6 copies of a Roald Dahl group, 6 copies of Hatchet, 6 copies of Tuck Everlasting, etc. Did the teacher buy those, did the school, or did the teacher say she needed them this year and the school bought them? The children definitely did not buy them (or via PTO, etc.)

Some rooms have collections of books, bins labeled "NATURE" or "ASTRONOMY" or "HISTORY" or "BIOGRAPHY." And who owns the books and the bins?

Same question about things like the popsicle sticks that teachers use for various things (attendance, job assignments), the magnets, the markers, etc.

Thank you for solving the great mystery for me!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2016

It depends.

From what I've seen, the vast majority of these things are owned by the individual teachers. Sometimes the school funds some or all of this, and in those cases these items are meant to remain in that classroom or with that grade level.

Class sets of novels are typically purchased by the school, but not always.

bella84 likes this.
  4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 6, 2016

My school bought me my bookshelves, laptop, and projector. I also have some construction paper in my room from the art room. Literally everything else in my room was either bought by me, or given to me by another teacher.

otterpop likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 6, 2016

I always bought those things with my own money, and I've taken them with me when I'm moved on to a new school.

That's not to say that I didn't have access to some book sets or supplies nor that I didn't get a small reimbursement on a rare occasion, but I purchased my classroom library books and baskets - and hundreds of other things - all on my own.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 6, 2016

I would guess the individual teachers have bought those items with their own money. I've heard of districts that buy everything a teacher needs but I think that is an urban legend!

Backroads and bella84 like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 6, 2016

I've purchased all of my books.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2016

I have a yearly school supplied budget with which I purchase materials for my classroom. Some items, however, are mine brought from home /bought with my own money or were gifts. I label what's mine differently than what is purchased by the school.

Backroads likes this.
  9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 6, 2016

If you were in my room, the books and the bins are mine. The math manipulatives were purchased by the school but nearly everything else is mine.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2016

I scour the Scholastic Book Sales, picking up copies of books that I will use with my classes. Some copies come from Half.com, others from ebay, the school provides some copies, teachers share, parents donate, and some come when the county library system upgrades and offerd the old copies to the public, although teachers get first pick at tiny prices. Garage sales, yard sales, thrift stores, consignment shops, etc., are all good sources. They don't need to be new, but they do need to be relevant to the curriculum. Most teachers are always looking for ways to create class libraries without breaking the bank. With dedication and a sharp eye, a sizeable class library is possible on a shoestring budget, but it is a labor of love.

Backroads likes this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 7, 2016

I own all of my books and games. Manipulatives belong to the school. There seems to be a rule (not sure of the truth) where materials under a given price belong to the teacher, but over ought to stay in the classroom if the teacher leaves--this of course referring to materials purchased with school/government funds.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 7, 2016

I'd also say a class library can grow a lot faster than you can be prepared for even on a shoestring budget. Beware.

bella84 likes this.
  13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 7, 2016

My school may actually be this way but I haven't looked into it. My sub has been wrangling all sorts of things in my absence.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 8, 2016

I own my books, games, bins, fun seating, lamps/lighting, artificial plants, my desk, dry erase boards, and about half of the manipulatives. School owns desks, most chairs, tables, most shelving. I also own the paint on the walls, cleaning supplies, Kleenex, school supplies, curtains, spare clothing, CD players, headphones, heaters, staplers, etc. It's CRAZY! We own a small business and provide all of their working needs.

bella84 likes this.
  15. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 8, 2016

This made me laugh. I can see it now though. You take the paint down when you leave, they will be mad....you leave and don't take it down...they will make you.

Rabbitt and Backroads like this.
  16. Topsy

Topsy Rookie

Jan 8, 2016

The dry-erase boards, too? Wow.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2016

It is never too early to clearly mark everything that is purchased with your own funds. Engrave some, tag others, book plates and personalized self inking stamps for other things. I own my own book shelves, books, hanging files and what's in them, reference books, laminated art work, posters, table covers, magnets, tools, and the list goes on. I kind of like the paint, but feel comfortable leaving it, along with a few errant dust bunnies. The dead stink bugs are definitely all theirs..

18. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 8, 2016

The furnishings are all the school's, including the rugs. The math manipulatives are also not mine. All classroom supplies - markers, crayons, paper, etc etc - are the school's. Many of the literature circle sets of books were reimbursed, too. Everything else is mine. The "everything else" basically covers my entire classroom library (minus the aforementioned lit circle sets - although many of the sets are mine), lots of plastic drawers/bins/organizer things, and various other odds and ends. I also own a class set of clipboards and a class set of whiteboards. Oh, and I have a futon, a couple beanbags, and some pillows that are mine.

We get classroom money each year, and we also have a supply budget. I choose to have all of my classroom library books be mine and not the school's. I've done a combo with the book club sets because they can get super expensive. A lot of the sets I do own were $1-$3 each on Scholastic.

19. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jan 9, 2016

LOL! Yes, this is sad but true! I just saw a mop and a vacuum I want to buy for my classroom!

Rabbitt likes this.
  20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 10, 2016

First, I shared this thread on my facebook. I don't think parents realize what we buy.

I have purchased or written grants for everything in my room with the exception of an ancient reading series, a newer reading series, tables, chairs, projector, three computers (one came from my home), rug (bought from a school fundraiser that my class won), and a few art supplies. I own the shelves, the manipulatives, the books, the lego table with the $500 worth of legos, the puzzles...you get the picture. Most of the centers and toys come from my own children as they outgrew it. I am guilty of buying them toys thinking about future use in my classroom.

Topsy and otterpop like this.
  21. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 11, 2016

I do! When I came in to the room that I am currently in, I had desks, tables, chairs, and curriculum, nothing else, not even a pair of scissors or a stapler! I was only given $100 at the start of that school year. I had also moved from Kindergarten to Third Grade

22. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 11, 2016

I prefer owing most of the important things myself. I do not like different administrators coming in and having a different vision for how the materials should be used, distributed, or redistributed. So while it can be expensive, I have control over it and my instruction is not impacted by others.

23. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Jan 17, 2016

I own everything but the tables, chairs, my desk, computer and Elmo and curriculum. I Did get a few stem kits via donors choose and I'm hoping to get an art drying rack and a few wobble stools this year which are, according to donors choose the property of the teacher until they leaves the school and then they should leave the items behind.

I bought all math manipulatives, all books, all toys and centers materials (kindergarten), baskets and containers, paper and pencils scissors and crayons, my office supplies, my laminator, all art supplies, everything.

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2016

The individual student ones.

25. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2016

I know right? I painted my former classroom a few times. This classroom is in good shape paint and repair wise.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 18, 2016

We get money once a year to buy anything classroom related. That includes curriculum materials but I always have enough left over for other things. We get $ for Scholastic books monthly too. I rarely have to spend any of my own money for anything unless I need something last minute like from the craft store.

27. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2016

I came in this year and found out that a chair I had inherited (I didn't personally buy it, but another teacher bought it, then gave it to me when she left) had gotten thrown out over the summer. When I asked about it, I was essentially told too bad.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2016

We get some budget money every year to use towards the classroom; most of us spend it on consumable materials--paper, pencils, markers, folders, art supplies, etc. It's a generous amount and most of us know how to stretch it really far! I own 90% of the books and math manipulatives in my room (I also donated almost 30 literature circle sets of books to our shared book room last year). I like to know that when I want something, I have it. I also own all of the organizational stuff and decorations.

29. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 18, 2016

So you learned not to leave your stuff at your school over summer?
    Not sure what the point of your post is?

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2016

I believe that the reminder that your stuff should NOT be left over the summer is worth sharing. We buy so much with our own money, and I believe that many newer teachers may not to wise to the fact that just because the door is locked, it does NOT mean your goods are secure or that they will be there when you return in the fall. "When I asked about it, I was essentially told too bad." Not a comforting answer when you bought it.