who STILL does not have a job lined up for 08-09?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by USCgrad, Aug 10, 2008.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 10, 2008

unfortunately, me.

I should hopefully have some interviews this week....the lady at the job fair guaranteed it so hopefully, i will have something lined up by the end of the week.....

if not, subbing it is! especially since school starts back soon...

3. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

No job for me either. :( I am going to a job fair on Thursday so maybe something will come of that.

4. BSUTeacher

BSUTeacher Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

me neither! ive had 5 interviews, the last one I was second choice the P said if that person doesnt want it or cant do it its mine. School starts this week but you never know maybe someone will quit or they have too many students. If I dont get a job i will sub and maybe tutor in the evenings that pay sucks though, but im new here and need to get my foot in the door.

5. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I feel really confident that I would have had a job this past week had I had my ducks in a row....I did not have the institutional recommendation or college verification form until too late...GRRRR.....

but, I have to tell you all that this district is wonderful....I have heard bad things about it from some but thanks a few people on here and some others that I have met (at the job fair) as well as the initial interview with HR....I feel really good about it. the HR lady was extremely nice and very helpful....I am actually looking forward to meeting with her again this week....

I am feeling like this will be MY WEEK! I was just offered another non-paying volunteering job as an ombudsman that was a big deal to me for personal reasons....and it just helped me realize that I do have a lot to offer and like my faculty supervisor said...
    "J_ _ will be an asset to any district lucky enough to hire her!"

This is what I plan to enter the interview with to give me the confidence to settle down and let my passion and training lead my where I want to be!!

and of course, God has gotten me this far, so, I will trust that He will carry me to where I am supposed to be!

Good luck all!

6. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I don't been on so many interviews I lost count. . .

have two more this week and one next week. . .

HOPEFULLY good news this week

7. ashbrown

ashbrown Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

no job here either...social studies in FL is a dead end especially for a new teacher. i am completley discouraged and am also going to sub and then look for a job out of state during winter break...

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

I think all of Florida is dead! First day back for teachers and I'm at home drinking some pumpkin blend coffee.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2008

Me neither. Two interviews, 0 offers. Though 2 more positions opened up today so hopefully something will come of that.

10. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

teachinLA: Where is the job fair???

11. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

:( No job yet. I have only had 2 interviews and now there are no postings anywhere. :eek:. Tulsa schools started today, several others start later this week and the last start next week.

I guess there is not going to be a job for me:mellow:. I don't want to sub anymore, it has gotten me absolutely no where. And there are no postings for assistant positions.

I guess that I will just keep watching for something to open up and then pounce on it. I am just getting so tired and frustrated:|:|:|.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 11, 2008

Nothing for me yet either and I don't even need to interview. Postings are up each Tuesday and there has been nothing! I'm starting to get antsy because I know how difficult it is to jump into a job without the benefit of advance time for prepping AND if I don't get a position before the end of August, I will have and interruption in pay while unemployment benefits get set up and that will suck!

13. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

No job either....

Today is the first day for teachers and the students are back tomorrow. Needless to say I'm about to go turn in my application to be an Title 1 Instructional Aide(decided I wanted to do this over a building sub job). I know it's better then nothing but I can't help feel that I am giving up. I know I'm not cuz I'm still looking and hoping a job opens because they have too many kids (happened in my student teaching school last year)...

To make myself feel better I'm going w/my 7th grade sister to her open house tho that could back fire and make me feel worse!!

14. sharona38

sharona38 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Add me to the list. I sent out a mass mailing including electronic portfolios to over 200 schools in May. In addition I check websites and newspapers. I've resent and hand delivered. I moved recently (within the same area) and just sent out a letter to all of the original schools reminding them of my existence and updating my info.
    This is the third year I've been looking and the worst yet. I had one interview. I don't think I can do subbing again. Trying to come up with back up plans...

15. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

no job yet for me either. I have been applying and going on Interviews since Feb. I had four interviews in the past week and a half. and I just sent out another 18 resumes to other schools.

... i am exhausted from job searching-- i really just want a job so I can relax and enjoy the rest of my vacation in peace. PLEASE, someone hire me!!

16. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 11, 2008

ME TOO!!!!!

17. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

Still jobless... :(

18. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Cheer up guys, I've been looking for a new job for 5 years now :(. Unfortunately I have had no luck this year, but am now signing up to sub. Many of the districts here hire from within (including subs. & student teachers) - so although subbing pays very little......it is often a good foot in the door.

I know that some schools will also be hiring AFTER school starts - so don't give up just yet! One of my closest friends got her position after school started & they had too many kiddos in each class. She was hired as a one year sub., but was converted over to a "regular" teacher by like October! Crazy, I know, but it happens!!!

Keep your chins up - you are all amazing teachers! :)

Meri

19. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 11, 2008

Trying to keep my chin up.

I got hired in early June, got my room ready, taught some summer school - and the job fell through. So now I'm looking again. I have four interviews tomorrow. They're all long commutes; 35-45 mins out of town. Normally, I'm all smiles in interviews and try hard to sell myself. But I'm so bummed about that prior position, that it's going to be hard to "be on" if you know what I mean.

I really need to snap out of it.

20. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 11, 2008

Nothing here. School starts in 10 days, have had a few interviews, but got notified I wasn't chosen.

Just had an interview for an office position that looks hopeful. In the meantime, I took a job at a local grocery store. I've been subbing two years and nothing has happened. So discouraging....:|

21. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Just sent an e-mail to the guy in charge of hiring aides. Maybe I can get my foot in that way. The district actually gives teachers a 15% stipend for staying within the district. I have never worked in a district that actually wants to retain their teachers. God, I hope this works out.

22. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

anewstart101: LAUSD is having a job fair. From what I understand it is mostly middle/high school and some sped elem. positions.

23. hopscotch

hopscotch Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Nothing for me!
    I submitted my sub application yesterday.
    I got a call today from a high school (ok, 3 calls and an email from the same person!), and I guess they REALLY want to interview me, but I REALLY don't want to do high school, and especially not there...am I crazy? It's too far and it's the wrong grade, but it's a job. UGH what to do?!
    Hubby says that if I don't get anything, then it's a sign that we should move out of Florida (something we've been wanting to do). Not that I really want to try and sell my house right now, but a move would be nice.

24. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

*Raises hand*

I have a few non-teaching but still educational field related positions set up. One teaching position, but not sure if it'll work out. Who knows these days!

25. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

nothing here =(

demo lesson tomorrow for a potential half year maternity leave position. So at the moment I'm looking at this as my last hope.

26. 2kitties

2kitties Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

Nothing for me either. :(

27. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 12, 2008

I havent' subbed in three years. If I don't get a position before Sept I stay on the recall list but sub in the interim. I'm going into my 4th year and I can't help feeling like this is moving backwards. Now I know this sounds like whining and many of you are in worse positions, it's just my personal feeling - it just sucks. No postings again today (they go up every Tues) and I'm starting to feel bummed. I try to tell myself that things can change quickly and something could still come up, but it just doesn't look very good right now.

I really am just whining and feeling sorry for myself and of course I'll do what I need to do, but I just hate when thing don't work out to expectation...

28. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Aug 12, 2008

I have not found anything either. I have emailed about five elementary, four junior high, and three high school principals. I am going to call about subbing in a nearby district tomorrow though. I am still waiting on Praxis 2 scores though so I was just jumping the gun a little bit.

29. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 12, 2008

you know...i thought this too but learned this week that some states will give you a provisional license until these things are done....In SC you have to have a school district "sponsor" this but in VA, you can get it on your on....that one little piece of info would have meant a job for me last week....well, I have passed all of the tests, I just needed the IR....oh well.....too little too late......there is still hope for me but I am also bringing the back up plan together in the mean time....:whistle::up:

GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!:down::down::down::down::down:

30. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2008

Nothing here. Out of 4 positions posted Fri and Mon, only one is still available.

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

sinking deeper

Nothing here.

Mailed tons of resumes, went to job fairs, interviewed. Offered jobs, they didn't pay me. Offered low paying jobs, can't afford them...way too far away.

Only calls I am getting is from bank about past due car payments. They want to repo car. I am reaching the end. If they take my car, I will never be able to get a good job. I can't face catching 3 buses again. I know lots of people do it for years, but not with lugging around books, papers and junk!!! I am going to sink deeper into debt. Even if I took that $15 an hour job, I wouldn't have made enough to pay my monthly bills. One check would have paid off my past due car loan. and I can see my savings slowly dwindling away. I can't afford any more unseen expenses, like $400 brake jobs!

I can't afford to get sick...no insurance.

I should just get a few bus cards, and prepare for the worse... :(

That won't help me if I have to sub. There are no buses that will take me anywhere close to most of those jobs. I see myself doing a lot of walking soon.

We've have had a pretty cool summer, temperature wise. I hope we don't have an early, bad winter....

:unsure:

32. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

Master Pre-K,

Sometimes I'm not good a taking my own advice, but keep your head up. A positive turn can happen just as quickly as a negative. Try to find all the bright sides to help with your outlook. If you have to walk alot, you will stay in shape and thus stay healthier, you won't have to pay astronomical gas prices and that car payment won't be hanging over your head anymore. Lugging stuff around will build muscles and the whole ordeal will just make you a stronger person. Can you make payment arrangements with the bank? Can you consolidate some bills to lower your payments? Can you sell some things to make extra cash? Can you watch children in your home temporarily to make money and cut out need for regular transportation? Just a few ideas. I know it doesn't really help, but I've been in very low financial spots and sometimes it's all we can do to keep plugging on. Remember, there is always someone worse off than you somewhere out there. :hugs:

33. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Aug 13, 2008

Good luck to everyone who is posting in here! I was there up until a few weeks ago, I know the feeling! There are jobs out there though. Keep looking after the school year starts!

I know it's tough (understatement of the year), but you can do it! Hang in there!

34. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 13, 2008

I am going back to my old aide job. I failed to look because i was sick all summer and I am worried about my son going into the Marines in Sept.