Who should I report this to? Please help

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Seeking advice, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I am a parent volunteer in my sons 3rd grade class 4 days a week. I have a few serious concerns re: his teacher. She has made several racist comments to me including the use of the "N" word. There are 5 particular students she constantly belittles and calls them stupid, ignorant, worthless and idiots. No! She doesn't say these things in front of the kids, but I still find it disturbing. I've expressed to her on several occasions that I can't believe she thinks these things are ok and he treats me as if I'm joking! I don't know who I should go to about this but I feel someone needs to know

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 17, 2013

Talk to the principal.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

This. Absolutely. I'd also ask to ave my kid transferred to another teacher's class.

5. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I will definitely speak to the Principal. My only concern is this teacher has been at the school for 14 years and I have no physical proof, only my word. I will request my son be moved, no she has never directed this attitude towards him (not that I'm aware of) but I will not allow him to remain in a class taught by a closet racist and someone who feels that way about ANY child.

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

I'd set up a meeting to talk to the principal immediately. If the meeting doesn't go well or the principal chooses not to do anything about it, I would go over his head or talk with principal again. This behavior is so wrong. First, though give the P the chance to do the right thing.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

All of the above.

If no one ever speaks up, this racist will be able to influence and belittle kids for another 14 years. I would be in the principal's office tomorrow morning when school opened, even if it meant taking off work to make it happen.

And my kid would be out of that class tomorrow morning.

8. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

IMO she has gotten away with this behavior in the past. The second week I was in her room she dropped the "n" word and within the week felt comfortable enough to trash those kids, share personal information about them which is none of my business and bad mouthed several parents! She didnt know me from Adam and acted as if because we are the same race that I share her views?!? I'm honestly in shock and disgusted by this woman

9. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Did she share personal information about any students with disabilities? If so, she is in violation of federal law.

10. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

She told me of two students who are pulled for sped services and even went as far to show me assessment results for the kids she refers to as "idiots"

11. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I should add that she has also shared other student and parent information that I felt completely uncomfortable knowing. The issues I mentioned above are only the tip of the iceberg to be honest.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

I'd would be waiting for the principal tomorrow morning. Using the 'n' word and calling students idiots, stupid whatever is totally and completely unacceptable! She should not be talking about which students are pulled sped services or sharing information about any student, whether it is assessments, ability, home life or parental information.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2013

I would be in that Principal's office in the morning, like Alice said. He needs to know exactly why your child WILL be moved. Give the P one try to discuss the matter with you...and then go to his superiors and the school board. That teacher needs to be removed.

14. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I would speak to the principal as well as the board of education. That is unacceptable behavior. Of course some people are going to be bigots, but just like a bad cold, they need to keep that sh-- to themselves. Spreading it around is unacceptable

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

She's out of control. Get a meeting with the P tomorrow.

16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Oh my god. I can't believe this is going on. I feel so terrible for the children in that class. Have you noticed anything inappropriate about her interactions with the students in the room? Definitely go to the principal, and if possible, try to have things written up and documented (she said A on Monday the 11th, she said B and C on Friday the 8th...)

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

Why didn't you report this earlier?

18. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

I'll admit I should have reported this much sooner. However, there have been a number of times I have witnessed her and other teachers doing the same thing..running kids into the ground and calling them names. I didn't know who I could go to in the school and actually have this taken care of. That doesn't excuse me from my lack of action but it is one reason. Yes, there are/were times she clearly singled out certain kids. One little boy who she deemed "stupid" has a hard time with math. He would get stuck on a problem, raise his hand for a good 10 mins only to be ignored by her. He usually didn't complete his math morning work and she was sure to let the rest of the class know. Instead of helping him or at least acknowledging him she made it a point to ignore him. Finally I just started helping the kids myself, more and more I became attached to them and a part of me felt like I could shield them in a way. Again I know I should have done something sooner but I had no clue who to go to.

19. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

How incredibly sad. I have some kids who don't care and that's why they do poorly. I do my best to help them, but will go to the kids with their hands raised first.

To think of a poor, sweet child who eagerly wants to learn with his hand raised and not getting helped is like a violation of teacherdom (made up this work :) ). This child is the reason I am a teacher--to guide them when they struggle to understanding. How unbelievable.

Definitely report. Especially because she clearly hates the students.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Oh, that poor little boy...

I mean, some children are easier to like than others, but every single child that walks through the school doors deserves the best education possible, and even if a teacher considers a child to be less likable than his classmates, he absolutely deserves every ounce of respect, caring, and professionalism that any of his classmates would receive. To just flat out not help (or at least acknowledge with an "I know you can do it!") a child asking for help is unconscionable to me.

21. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2013

I would sit in the principal's office until I saw him/her. I would also have it in writing so there is no way he/she can ignore it and send copies to the board so it can not be ignored. I would demand my child is moved the next day.

By the way, I had a very similar experience as a volunteer with a sub. I witnessed a couple of different unacceptable things within an hour, walked straight to the principal's office and told her. The sub was banned from the district. I was PTA president and had gained the principal's trust, so she believed me immediately. It is harder with a tenured teacher, but it can be done.

If this is the school's culture, the board needs to rectify it immediately. It nothing happens, I would contact the newspaper. This is not acceptable, anywhere, anytime.

Good luck!

22. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

Be the students' voice.

Speak to the principal; if that gets you nowhere, take it to the superintendent. Still no go? Take it to the board of education.

But do something.

23. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to the principal first thing in the morning. And yes I will set in that office as long as I have to until I speak to him. I must admit I've been a coward to a degree because I know this woman is dead wrong both in her actions and her opinions. I do feel guilty for not telling someone, anyone as soon as these things happened. Ted you are right I have to be their voice.

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Please let us know how it goes. Please make sure that you are strong... you may very well be the only person that can stand up for these children.

25. microbe

microbe Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

Always make sure to report. I had a similar experience when I was student teaching, and never reported it because I was worried about the backlash of a student teacher calling out a "real" teacher.

Anyway, this woman singled out this one student in particular. He was much smaller than the other 13-year-old boys and he had just returned to school after having run away for 2 weeks. I noticed no behavior issues in this student that the teacher herself didn't instigate. One day, she decided to tell this young man that she was trying to get him moved into another teacher's class but "no one wanted him."

On a different occasion she decided to tell the class that evolution was "just a theory" like Creationism.

At any rate, I never reported like I should have. The icing on the cake is that she completely failed me in every category for my student teaching review.

26. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 17, 2013

Don't feel guilty. We sit here in the safety of our homes giving you advice to be courageous when it's not always easy.

You're on the side of angels, however. :)

And I will pray that the principal has open ears and that the situation comes to resolution. I will pray for this teacher, too. I have to believe she became a teacher to help students and perhaps something happened to sour her or filled her with so much hate and anger. And if it's just because she's racist, then I'll pray for that aspect as well.

Please consider reporting back to let us know how it goes. :)

27. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 17, 2013

Thank you all so much! I will definitely let you know how it goes. This whole situation has been eating at me. Even stranger is I've always been a sort of abrasive person and didn't mind one bit to out anyone. I don't know what happened to that side of me but I need to find it

28. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

Make sure to tell the principal that the teacher is blabbing confidential information about students with disabilities. If they're smart, at least they'll act on that.

Hopefully, they'll act on everything.

29. Seeking advice

Seeking advice Rookie

Nov 18, 2013

I met with the principal this morning, told him everything. He seemed genuinely concerned and disturbed about the situation and asked me write down Absolutely everything and meet him again at 2:45. My son will be moved tomorrow morning, because it was after 10 this morning by the time we ended. However, I did see the school counselor entering his classroom as I was leaving. At least another adult is now in the room . Oh! And waiting in the lobby were the parents of one of the kids she likes to degrade. Hopefully things will be taken care of quickly for those kids sake.

30. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 18, 2013

I'm proud of you for taking action. Not always easy, but you did it. :)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

I'm so glad you advocated for those kids!!!

And it sounds like the principal is on the ball-- he got someone into the room immediately, and will move your son tomorrow.

Let us know how this unfolds.

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 18, 2013

I am also so proud of you for having the courage to step up and advocate for these children. That was a tough thing for you to do. You go girl! (boy?)

33. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 18, 2013

Good for you! And the kids! :thumb:

34. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 18, 2013

I'm glad this situation may be working out. I hate to think of the numerous teachers who act and feel the same way she does, but they will never get reported. Ugh, terrible thought but I know there are way too many out there.
    Thank you for standing up for those kids!