Who should go?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Historyteaching, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 19, 2009

I have a situation..

Due to the lovely budget cuts my school is deciding on 4 positions to cut. If one goes, this teacher can also teach history-being tenured they would move over to my department. There are 3 of us that are non-tenured-one is at 4 years (at the end of this year will be tenured); me-at my second year; the other-started at my school was there until 2002 (around 4 years) left and went to another school-diff. district/same state for a couple yrs..left the education field and is now back with us for the first year.

I was told that the cut teacher would take my position. I asked, but isn't this other person below me? The response..well they can teach AP and does Academic Team. (AP only requires going in June for a week to a conference/seminar and Ac. Team does necessarily take a rocket science).

I've had other teachers say they'd 'go to bat for me'. I'm always at work-only missed about 2 hours because I was sick, I left 2 periods before school ended. The other is out..alot..only a few times for the coaching requirements. Some said I should 'sell' myself and abilities to the P. Now, if this one teacher isn't cut-I'm good to go. But...what do ya'll think?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 19, 2009

Doesn't your district contract specify policy for reductions in force?

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 19, 2009

Not sure what you mean..I don't teach in Ohio..I just live there.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 21, 2009

Do you have a contract in the district where you teach? Most contracts spell out how lay-off decisions are to be made.

6. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 21, 2009

Oh yes, I'm on contract. A few of my colleagues don't agree with the idea that I may go instead and stress the idea that anyone can learn how to teach AP and/or coach academic team. Its a wait and see game I suppose.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

Our contracts outline the RIF process very explicitly. The person with less seniority is the person who goes, regardless of whether they come to work more frequently than the person with the next highest amount of seniority.

Our district posts a list of all the teachers, their date of hire, and their rank in seniority. I'm ranked 17,962 out of about 25,000.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

It sounds like the other teacher should be the one to go since they probably signed their current contract after you did.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2009

This is exactly how it works with us. If a school has "surplus" staff (more staff than our allotment for the next school year) the teachers with the least seniority in our school board are the first to go. The only exception to that is if one of the people with the least seniority has "essential" qualifications (e.g. Special Ed or French) that no one else on staff has and they will be using those qualifications in their placement.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 22, 2009

Your district should have a seniority list posted some place. I am 4th up from the bottom on mine.

11. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 22, 2009

Well, we all signed the contract for this year at the beginning of this year. But I was at the school last year-she hasn't been to our school since 2002. Ironically, the other day-she said that she didn't combine the years since she was in the same state to make her nontenured and said she doesn't like the tenure system and if they have someone that does the job better..then 'fire my ass'. I did have one fellow teach tell me that they would go to the P and tell the P that I need to stay. Kinda makes you feel good that the 'youngun' is considered decent enough to stay.

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Feb 23, 2009

I would think that you have seniority over her since she left the school and returned at a later date. Her date of hire would be the date she was hired when she returned. It is not like she was on an extended sick leave or something like that - she took another job and worked there. She is in her first year in this district.

13. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Feb 23, 2009

At my school, there is a contractual difference between RIF and special circumstance layoffs. When it comes to RIF, they simply chop from the bottom based on date of hire (we have to cut at least 10% to officially call it a "RIF") . Special circumstances are when individual teachers get laid off because they have low class enrollment or whole departments get reorganized and that results in layoffs.

14. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Feb 23, 2009

I think the 'she is below me' would work better..if she wasn't AP ready and academic teach coach...however..neither is hard to get or requires a tenured teacher...or rocket science..For some strange reason, I think they know and I am afraid I may be gone..however, how the school would 'function' without ISI is beyond me. That teacher doesn't want a 'real room'..even though I'm non-tenured..you just kinda wish they'd just have a humane bone and just tell ya