Who Saw the Movie Divergent?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

It was 2.5 hrs & it was good. I never read the book. There was already talk that there's going to be more (like the Hunger Games movies, which I never saw). In fact, the next movies are going to be Insurgent & Allegiant, which are the rest of the triology. (If you Google any actor's name, you can find out their next movies for the next 2+ yrs on the IMDb.com website.)

That Shailene Woodley from Secret Life of the American Teenager, really is breaking out!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

I didn't see the movie because I did read the book trilogy, and liked the books, and the movie looked horrible and cheaply made. It's funny that you mention an ABC Family show, because when we saw the first trailer my husband said it looked like something that would air on ABC Family, and not a feature movie based on a hit book trilogy.

I'm usually a movie person, but I think in this case I'll let the movie version in my head while I was reading remain there.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

I overheard two ladies talking when the movie let out. One was asking the other if it's the same as the book & she said it's very close with a couple differences. That seems to be how most books-turned-movies are.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

It's not the changes in the story that bother me. I understand how the adaptation process works. I just don't like it when the look of a movie is very different from the way I pictured it in my head. I may see it eventually when it comes on Netflix or something, but I'm not going to rush out and see it. If I had not read the book, based on the previews, I would not be interested in seeing the movie because the production value is not good, at least as shown in the trailers.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

Yes, I realize many people don't like seeing movies that were books because they want to in a way "preserve" in their minds how they read it. To each their own! :)

I personally don't have time for ANY fun reading these days, so I'll just relax from my other work & see the movies!

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

Some might say they have no time to watch movies, so they'll stick with books.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2014

I read (and L-O-V-E-D) Divergent. (I did not care for Insurgent or Allegiant nearly as much.)
    I plan to see the movie since I loved the book so much, but I do not have high hopes. I'm not a fan of Shailene Woodley, so my expectations are not high. I do think Theo James was cast well, so I am looking forward to that. I was actually going to go today, but something came up. We'll see if I actually get to the theater before the run is over. I missed Catching Fire and The Book Thief, so we'll see if I make it this time.... (I haven't been to the movies in almost 2 years!)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2014

I have several students who are fanatic about the books--they have read and reread all three and have started a Divergent "book club" at school. They saw the movie the night it opened and said that they weren't very impressed, that it "ruined" the book. I haven't encountered a lot of kids who say that they prefer a book to the movie.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 1, 2014

I've read all three books and loved the series. I also love the movie! I know it has terrible reviews, but I really enjoyed it. It was different from the book, but I get that it's an adaptation. I actually really liked Shailene Woodley in it, and Theo James was perfect as Four.

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Apr 1, 2014

I honestly liked Divergent better than Hunger Games and I didn't expect to! I guess I liked Tris better than Katniss, who's personality annoys me lol.

I went Sunday of the opening weekend and all of the women in my theatre kept whistling and shrieking whenever Four came on the screen.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

:):)

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2014

Me too - on both accounts.

I love Tris and Four (I hate when people call him "4":mad: and I'm VERY protective of my Tris & Four) they are pure magic in Divergent, by far the best book of the series. I enjoyed them in Insurgent although the rest of the plot was a bit too much for me and Allegiant was not as good as either book, IMO. I, also, rarely see movies in the theatre but I do want to see this when it comes out On Demand.

Now, I can't freaking wait to see Shailene in The Fault In Our Stars. I've watched the trailer a million times on YT and I tear up every time.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2014

On my list f movies to see. I am planning on reading the books first.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 1, 2014

I'm reading that book right now; LOVE IT! I'm not done yet so no spoilers. :p I definitely will be seeing that movie, too.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2014

I don't think she fits in that role, either. I was very upset when I found out she was playing the lead in the movie adaptions of two of my favorite books.

A group of my high school friends have started a book club, and we will probably take a field trip to see that one. We were going to go see Divergent as a group, but a few went ahead with their husbands. I don't think that will be a problem with The Fault in Our Stars.