Who Saw the Movie Divergent?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

It was 2.5 hrs & it was good. I never read the book. There was already talk that there's going to be more (like the Hunger Games movies, which I never saw). In fact, the next movies are going to be Insurgent & Allegiant, which are the rest of the triology. (If you Google any actor's name, you can find out their next movies for the next 2+ yrs on the IMDb.com website.)

That Shailene Woodley from Secret Life of the American Teenager, really is breaking out!

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

I didn't see the movie because I did read the book trilogy, and liked the books, and the movie looked horrible and cheaply made. It's funny that you mention an ABC Family show, because when we saw the first trailer my husband said it looked like something that would air on ABC Family, and not a feature movie based on a hit book trilogy.

I'm usually a movie person, but I think in this case I'll let the movie version in my head while I was reading remain there.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

I overheard two ladies talking when the movie let out. One was asking the other if it's the same as the book & she said it's very close with a couple differences. That seems to be how most books-turned-movies are.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

It's not the changes in the story that bother me. I understand how the adaptation process works. I just don't like it when the look of a movie is very different from the way I pictured it in my head. I may see it eventually when it comes on Netflix or something, but I'm not going to rush out and see it. If I had not read the book, based on the previews, I would not be interested in seeing the movie because the production value is not good, at least as shown in the trailers.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2014

Yes, I realize many people don't like seeing movies that were books because they want to in a way "preserve" in their minds how they read it. To each their own! :)

I personally don't have time for ANY fun reading these days, so I'll just relax from my other work & see the movies!

7. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

Some might say they have no time to watch movies, so they'll stick with books.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2014

I read (and L-O-V-E-D) Divergent. (I did not care for Insurgent or Allegiant nearly as much.)
    I plan to see the movie since I loved the book so much, but I do not have high hopes. I'm not a fan of Shailene Woodley, so my expectations are not high. I do think Theo James was cast well, so I am looking forward to that. I was actually going to go today, but something came up. We'll see if I actually get to the theater before the run is over. I missed Catching Fire and The Book Thief, so we'll see if I make it this time.... (I haven't been to the movies in almost 2 years!)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2014

I have several students who are fanatic about the books--they have read and reread all three and have started a Divergent "book club" at school. They saw the movie the night it opened and said that they weren't very impressed, that it "ruined" the book. I haven't encountered a lot of kids who say that they prefer a book to the movie.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 1, 2014

I've read all three books and loved the series. I also love the movie! I know it has terrible reviews, but I really enjoyed it. It was different from the book, but I get that it's an adaptation. I actually really liked Shailene Woodley in it, and Theo James was perfect as Four.

11. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Apr 1, 2014

I honestly liked Divergent better than Hunger Games and I didn't expect to! I guess I liked Tris better than Katniss, who's personality annoys me lol.

I went Sunday of the opening weekend and all of the women in my theatre kept whistling and shrieking whenever Four came on the screen.

12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 1, 2014

:):)

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2014

Me too - on both accounts.

I love Tris and Four (I hate when people call him "4":mad: and I'm VERY protective of my Tris & Four) they are pure magic in Divergent, by far the best book of the series. I enjoyed them in Insurgent although the rest of the plot was a bit too much for me and Allegiant was not as good as either book, IMO. I, also, rarely see movies in the theatre but I do want to see this when it comes out On Demand.

Now, I can't freaking wait to see Shailene in The Fault In Our Stars. I've watched the trailer a million times on YT and I tear up every time.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2014

On my list f movies to see. I am planning on reading the books first.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 1, 2014

I'm reading that book right now; LOVE IT! I'm not done yet so no spoilers. :p I definitely will be seeing that movie, too.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2014

I don't think she fits in that role, either. I was very upset when I found out she was playing the lead in the movie adaptions of two of my favorite books.

A group of my high school friends have started a book club, and we will probably take a field trip to see that one. We were going to go see Divergent as a group, but a few went ahead with their husbands. I don't think that will be a problem with The Fault in Our Stars.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 2, 2014

I will probably read the books first then see the movie on DVD or Netflix. I go to the movies maybe twice a year so this isn't one I would rush to see. 9 times out of 10 I'd rather read the books anyway, then see the movies as an afterthought. You can call me a book nerd...I don't mind :D

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 2, 2014

I've read all three of the books; I loved Divergent, thought Insurgent was ok and hated Allegiant. The movie was good, but I didn't care for the girl who played Tris and I really missed the Peter/Edward/Al story. The guy that plays Tobias is fantastic.

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 2, 2014

Dh owes me a dinner/movie date due to me meeting a weight loss goal, and I told him this was the movie I wanted to see. Maybe this weekend? I, too, really loved Divergent. I bought it when it first came out years ago, and then forgot about it. I saw the trilogy at Costco recently and re-bought the first book (not knowing where the first one went in our move), and the second/third one. Then I found the first one. So we have an overabundance of the books on our book shelf. :) I just cannot get through Allegiance. I'm stuck in the middle with zero motivation to move on. It's like slogging through mud.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 2, 2014

I hate when I'm reading a book like that and can't get through it. I feel guilty almost about putting it down but eventually I just move on! Life is too short to read crummy books!

21. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2014

Divergent problems-possible spoilers

I read Divergent, and while it was... okay, there were some things about it that significantly bothered me

<potential spoilers below>

So, society has collapsed due to war and split into factions that each believe that the lack of a particular personality trait was the primary factor. That's already a bit strained, but then some of the traits -- Dauntless really believes a lack of courage is why there are wars? And Candor seriously believes the lack of honesty causes them? Honestly, I could see a case maybe being made for Abnegation and Amity due to their attitudes about property.

But even forgiving that since it's an interesting if implausible idea, the implementation is flawed. We're supposed to believe that the factions focus on a core personality trait that is somehow inherent in its members. Though sometimes it's not, and they switch factions. That's fine, but the idea is that some people are "divergent" and have a "core" of multiple personality traits. Ummm... doesn't that describe every single person? Not just in real life, but even in the book that seems the case, so it's completely unclear how that makes Tris special in any way.

They later bring in what is essentially lucid dreaming -- she can control her mind during VR simulations. She creates a somewhat plausible reason this might create problems for some of the leaders, but being "divergent" is presented as being historically disliked and the reason is based on what would have to be recent technology. She also never makes any kind of case for why this ability might be tied to personality

Don't get me wrong, it was a relatively fun book to read. Somehow, it never really seemed to hang together in a realistic way, though.

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 2, 2014

Your questions are basically answered in the third book.

This trilogy is really like one LONG book. There is no passage of time between installments; the next book just picks up where the previous one left off.

23. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 2, 2014

While I really liked the first book, somewhat liked the second book, I HATED the third book because I felt like she didn't answer those questions. Or perhaps she attempted to but to me it felt like the whole third book was a cop-out. I really wish I didn't feel that way because I liked Divergent, so I'm reading the series again to see if it changes my mind. I was so mad reading the third book that maybe I missed some important details.;)

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 2, 2014

I did feel somewhat cheated in the answers, but she did technically answer them...lol.

I didn't like the third book nearly as much as the first, but I didn't hate it as much as others do.

I just finished "The Fault in Our Stars"...wow. Can't wait to see that movie.

25. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 3, 2014

I loved The Fault in Our Stars! Finished it in one sitting.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 3, 2014

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person on the planet who didn't like Fault in Our Stars. I thought it was so boring. I got 30 pages in and decided I wasn't wasting anymore time!

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 3, 2014

I read the whole thing, and enjoyed it, I just didn't think it was amazing the way many of my friends and students did. It felt like young adult fiction to me, which is what it is, but I like it when it's harder to tell because of the quality of the writing. I felt like the author was trying too hard to take an old Lurlene McDaniel story and make the characters super cool and modern. Maybe because I spend so much time with teenagers, but none of it felt real to me. The best part are the perspective and the thoughts of the narrator, and I don't know how that will translate to film.

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 3, 2014

I didn't like it either! I read it for book club and I couldn't believe everyone raved about it.

I also have tried numerous times to get through the Book Thief, which everyone also raves about and just haven't been able to do it. I think it's incredibly boring!

I really liked the first Divergent book, but didn't care for the other two in the series. I don't think I'll be seeing the movie.

29. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Apr 3, 2014

This is one of the things I love about teaching middle school...conversations about books and comparing book lists. I've had quite a few students the past two years who have preferred a book to its movie version. My kids are obsessed with this trilogy right now...and the Matched and Maze Runner trilogies. I'm a bit of a fanatic about young adult lit myself. I've read them all.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 3, 2014

The Book Thief took me forever to read!!

I liked The Fault in Our Stars, but I did not love it like most people. The book within a book annoyed me.

31. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 4, 2014

Easily 80% of the reading I do during the school year is YA Lit--love it. My students always help me build my reading list; I'm forever picking up their independent reading books off of their desks, reading the backs and asking them about their recommendations. I haven't read the Matched series, but it's on my list!