Who Runs Your Household?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 6, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2012

Hmmm... I think I would be considered "head of household".

2. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

It is shared

3. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Oct 15, 2012

My situation is a little weird.

DH has a job that is incredibly demanding. So I do all the housework, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, dishes etc... We both handle finances. DH chips in where he can, but when it was really bad I wouldn't see him for days at a time because he either left before I got up and got home late, or he was gone somewhere. It's pretty annoying when you practically live alone and yet there are enough dishes and laundry for two people!

The year I worked full time I was a nutcase. DH still didn't have time to do anything, so I did the first year teacher insanity plus taking care of the house and another person. It was just too much for me personally. Now I work part time and I still do all the house stuff, but DH chips in a lot more now that his job situation has eased. It works for us. Dh has nothing against cleaning or anything, it's just worked out like this for us.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 15, 2012

We were that way when my hubby worked retail during the Christmas season. One year, I was pregnant with child #2, plus working a split shift at a day car center. DD & I rarely saw DH that Christmas season!

5. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 16, 2012

My husband and I share the duties. We don't have specific things split--it just gets done. He's a total neat/organization freak--I am pretty darn organized, but not in comparison to him! We both do finances, which I really like.

In terms of trip planning I do it mostly, I'm our travel agent ;) I like it! It's one of my hobbies.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2012

We have our roles. And they have changed over the years. A couple of years ago I was working full time in the classroom while hubby was a sub and going to school. We happened to live with my parents so we all worked together. Then we moved into our own house and again our roles shifted.

I have always been in charge of making sure the bills are paid on time. My husband HATES that sort of thing. I like working with money so I'm fine with that responsibility.

Now, hubby makes more money while I work part time. I pay all bills and he transfers funds in my account. I do the dishes and keep the apt. tidy. He takes out the trash. We share cooking duty.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 16, 2012

This is not always true.

My mom grew up in the 50's, when wives generally took care of the house and the husband. When I lived with her and dad, I never did a load of laundry and only rarely did any other chores - other than cleaning my room.

During my marriage, I did most of the housework, including most of the laundry - even ironing. I also vacuumed, mowed the lawn, hauled off the trash, etc. I deposited our checks and took care of the bills most of the time, but sometimes we would switch and she would pay the bills (I still put the money in the bank).

The only chores I did not do were cooking and cleaning the bathroom and kitchen. When it came to dishes, I rinsed them off, loaded the dishwasher and ran the dishwasher. My ex emptied the dishwasher and put the dishes up.

Now that I'm living on my own again (at least part time), I do all of my chores, including cleaning and cooking.

So how their mother handled chores may be a good indicator, but there are always exceptions. ;)

8. greendream

greendream Cohort

Oct 17, 2012

My wife and I have very distinct roles.

She handles all of the cleaning and washing of clothes, and I do all the repairing, assembling, and heavy hauling. She sometimes calls me her "mule."

She does the cooking in the kitchen, and I do the cooking on the grill.

I take care of paying the bills and doing the taxes, and she takes care of anything that has to do with insurance.

She does anything that requires a needle and thread, and I do anything that requires power tools.

She changes diapers. I kill spiders.

And on, and on. I vastly prefer dividing responsibilities rather than trying to figure out who's going to do what on any given day. It works very well for us.