Who provides the supplies (you or the school)?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kassrose, Jun 14, 2010.

1. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jun 14, 2010

At your school, what do you provide and what does the school provide as far as supplies go? Paper, pencils, art supplies, books, whiteboard markers, furniture, storage, etc. And also, if your school does not supply it, are you just expected to provide it out of pocket?

3. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jun 14, 2010

We get a pack of whiteboard markers and an eraser; after that, we're on our own. This year, I had some nice parents who brought some in. Otherwise, I would have had to buy them like I did the year before.

There was some lined paper at the beginning of the year, but then it ran out. The kids are supposed to bring their own, but if they don't have it, I usually give them some of mine, and if I gave a test with a written section, I would provide paper. A box of paper clips was provided. My first year, there was a stapler, but it was labeled with the room number, so I left it there when I moved to a new room the next year, and there was no stapler. I buy scissors, tape, staplers, folders, pens, etc. A very limited amount of copy paper is available.

4. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

My school buys anything I need.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

My district funds our school's supply budget. We have a supply room. If I want something special, like acrylic (non-washable) paint, or materials for a special project that only I'm doing, I could ask but I use my class fund instead. The PTA gives each classroom $500 per year. My classroom parents also take up a fund to pay for field trips and parties. I'm so sad to hear that the funding is this lopsided (mine to yours). The kids ALL deserve the same.

6. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

Our rooms are furnished with a teacher desk and chair, student desks or tables and chairs, one large book case and a storage cabinet. I have found more in storage to complete my room. All classes will have Smartboards this year.

The school provides a plan book, grade book, (although we use online planning and grading) one pack of dry erase markers, stapler, staples, tape dispenser and tape.

We get $200 a year to spend on classroom supplies. Beyond that, whatever the kids don't bring on their own I buy out of pocket.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2010

Mine too, right down to graph paper... I can send a kid to the bookstore before school with a note, and he'll come back with whatever I need.

At Christmas time, my (Catholic) school supplies each room with a pre-lit tree and 30 or so unbreakable ornaments. Being a big fan of Christmas, I supply the creche and a bunch of other decorations.

Xerox paper is unlimited.

I really spend very little on my classroom or supplies.

8. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jun 15, 2010

I get $5 per student in my homeroom: about $75 per year. We have the Scrip program to generate classroom monies. Last year a local group gave each classroom $150; it was like being a kid at Christmas!

9. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

My room was well stocked with construction paper and glue when I moved into it from the last teacher. We get $45 a year to order supplies that we need. We have a deal with Office Depot where (I think) the county gets the whole sale price from them. The prices are way cheaper so we get a lot for our small amount. The students bring in the majority of their supplies. If they don't I compensate with what I've ordered with my money or I may have to run out and get a couple of things. Like this year I had to buy 2 or 3 packs of dividers.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

Our budgets are just getting more and more limited so I feel badly asking for too much. I usually just buy my art supplies from Oriental Trading (very cheap and not bad quality). One school where I worked I asked if they had some sentence strips (there was a supply closet but teachers weren't allowed in there). They gave me directions to the closest teacher store! :blush:

We have a district warehouse for furniture schools didn't need-our awesome principal made several trips last year with his pick-up looking for things like decent shelves, carpets for his new teachers.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

We can order supplies from the supply closet at any time. The problem is that the order usually takes so long to be delivered to the classroom that we end up buying some stuff on our own. There is a supply orderform that we can submit but sometimes it gets "lost" so it's sometimes easier to go right to the supply room and ask for the stuff directly.

12. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

Students bring their own supplies like pencils, scissors, crayons, markers, folders, pencil boxes, erasers, glue...
    Anything else like copier paper, poster board, card stock, construction paper, staplers, staplers, paper clips, dry erase markers, dry board erasers, sentence strips, tape, colored copier paper, student handwriting paper, etc. is supplied by the school.
    We were also allotted $300 per grade level to buy any math manipulitives we needed which weren't already supplied by the school.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Our district has a furniture warehouse. We can get permission to go and pick out any used furniture we want. That means nothing matches in the room...desks, chairs, etc. I don't really care about that although some teachers get flaked out when their stuff doesn't match.
    We are responsible for obtaining anything else. That means we pay for any and all supplies. Through the years I have shopped at all the back to school sales and managed to collect tons of school supplies at a much lower price. I also have had generous parents who are willing to make donations. Still, I spend hundreds every year buying supplies and curriculum that aren't supplied to us.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

Our department supply cabinet usually has pens, dry erase markers, and tape; if there's something special we need, like whiteboard cleaner, we can request it. White paper is available in our workroom, and sometimes pastels, and we can usually get ink for our printers, though last year I got my own refills at Costco because this printer belongs to me and takes different cartridges than we had at school. We ask students to bring writing materials with them to class. Everything else, I supply.

15. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Jun 15, 2010

It varies from year to year for us. Students bring pencils, crayons, loose-leaf paper, notebooks etc. We usually have some supply money (ranging from $325-$400 a year) to buy copy paper, dry erase markers, bulletin board things, and other teacher supplies. Occassionally we are given some of those things. I depends on how successful fundraisers were from the previous year. I still end up spending a fair amount out of my own pocket for supplies.

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

I buy at least three fourths of what I need.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2010

Students are supposed to supply the basics (paper, pencils, folders, colors, etc.), and because we're aware of how difficult it is for many of our families and make the supply list short and afforable, most students do at the beginning of the year...but I've gotten over the idea that a note home at Christmas explaining that students are out of materials will yield in more supplies.

I have a classroom budget of $400 dollars to buy other resources...books, scissors, craft supplies, highlighters, staplers, bean bags, etc.

We sometimes ask our principal for additional money for something "special".

We do a couple of fundraisers to help pay for larger things our grade needs and knock a couple dollars off a field trip or two.

There are no limits on copy paper.

I spend a few hundred of my own money each year on additional, random things.

18. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2010

I provide everything, but can choose to use my BEP or Instructional funds to help purchase items. I usually don't.

19. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

I teach at a Catholic school and the supply everything I need. If I need something and we don't have it, they'll go and get it. However, I do buy several things out of my own pocket.

20. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

I have a budget of 500 dollars. I have to purchase crayons, pencils, and erasers for the children(all low income) and then whatever else I need for the next year. The school provides a box of copy paper in the fall and spring, so that isn't part of the budget.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 15, 2010

Wow. I can't believe how much money a lot of people get. If I worked my school Carnival, I would get between $100-$150. If you don't work, then you don't get anything. We used to be able to put in orders for supplies, but not last year and the coming year.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 15, 2010

The school buys all the basic supplies, and we can ask for any additional items that we need.

I still pick up cheap stuff at summer sales to have on hand as extra stuff for kids who need it.

Pretty much the only things that I buy are what I'll call "comfort items", or special things that make my life easier. I like certain mechanical pencils, for instance.

23. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 15, 2010

We can get staples, paper clips, post-its and what not from the school. Everything else must be bought with our $300 funds. I think this is very fair.

24. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

We used to get $50 a year for office type classroom supplies. Last year we didn't get anything for this. I got my own dry erase markers from Sam's club, and a much nicer three hole punch from staples than I used to have.

25. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jun 15, 2010

We get $250 to spend on supplies/ curriculum extras (orders are turned in once a year). But we are not allowed to ask students to supply anything (a few bring in things anyway, but not my ESL kids). So $250 doesn't go that far when it has to cover all your kids so I end up spending quite a lot.

26. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 15, 2010

We used to have a dollar amount to spend for our classroom, but last year it changed. We can now get a class set of the following...
    Pencils
    Lined paper
    Colored pencils or crayons
    Scissors
    Glue sticks
    High lighters
    Pens
    Construction paper

We are also given a certain amount of copy paper for each semester. If we run out of pencils, paper (lined not copy), staples, paper clips, or tape we can get some from the supply closet. Everything else I buy on my own. Its a long list, I will spare you the details.

27. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 15, 2010

Me. The school supplies us with almost nothing.

28. mdawson

mdawson Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

The past three years I've worked at a private day school and had to supply everything outside of paper, pencils and that kind of stuff. I spent about $750 out of my pocket.

The entire school library belongs to me. We have maybe 1,500 books that I've bought and put in our library and as I am packing to leave I am taking it all with me.

29. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Jun 16, 2010

School supplies furniture. You're at the mercy of whatever is in your room when you start, then you trade up as you can. I've had tables for 7 years and want desks, so I'll end up w/ a bunch of old mis-matched ones until I can trade up (through people leaving, etc.). School provides copy paper. We used to have a $300 supply budget for supplies, but due to the economy it's shrinking to $50. I'm really, really low on construction paper and some basic stuff, and since I'm switching grade levels, I'm going to be spending a LOT of my own money.
    As far as classroom library goes, a couple teachers who have moved grade levels, etc. have given me books and the rest I've bought/gotten w/ bonus points.