Who out there has moved for a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by yellowdaisies, Jan 18, 2012.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure there have been posts like this before, but I'm curious to hear who has moved at least a couple hundred miles away from home for a job, and what that experience was like.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who moved with husbands/wives/significant others, as I am married, so that's my situation. No kids yet, though.

I am actually not looking to apply out of state yet, but I live in a huge state (CA), so we could easily move 500+ miles away from where we are now for a job and still be in CA.

Thanks everyone. I'm curious to hear about others' experiences. :)

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 18, 2012

This wasn't for teaching, but my hubs and I moved to CA for a job that he got. We were recently married, no kids, and were open to something new. It took me about 2 months to find a job (again, not teaching). I don't regret for one moment our decision to move out there. We had three great years in CA and then moved back to PA after our son was born. Our family is in PA and NY and we wanted to be closer to them. Plus we wanted to some day buy a house and a tiny 2 bedroom for $800K in CA didn't seem that appealing!

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

I moved about 200 miles from home for a job. I would go up on Sunday afternoon and drive back home Friday after school. I was there for a school year.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2012

I have moved about 10 times during my 38 years of teaching. Early in my career it was by choice. After we were married, the moves were caused by my husband's job transfers. There was only one moved that turned out not so good. Every other move was positive. I never had a problem getting a new job.

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 18, 2012

I moved 2000 miles for a job. It's not a teaching job, but it supports my family. I'm divorced, so I didn't have to worry about a spouse, but I do have three kids. I don't regret my decision to move.

7. ayla

ayla Companion

Jan 18, 2012

I moved about 80 miles for my job, but I interviewed much further. Interviewing was the most logistically hard part because I was working at the time. I really missed where I was living once I moved here, but I am close enough to go visit every few weekends and I am really adjusted here after 5 months finally. It was hard for me because I have no friends here, so I think having your SO with you can only be positive.

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jan 18, 2012

I moved 2000 miles with my daughter. It's been very positive for both of us. She did take longer to adapt and at one point thought about moving back. I do have cousins that live close to me.

9. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Jan 19, 2012

I moved about 600 miles away from home for a teaching job. I'm single so it's a bit different but I'd imagine the experience to be much better with someone else by your side. Last year was 't so bad because it was exciting living independently but the novelty is beginning to wear off now. I miss my family back home and sometimes think of going back but then I know I wouldn't be teaching. It stinks having to choose a career over family :(

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2012

I moved 1200 miles and this is exactly how I feel about it too!

11. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jan 19, 2012

I moved over 300 miles from southern Oregon to Reno. Then, after the wrongful termination and the lack of opportunities, I was forced to move back 300 miles so I could live on my brother's couch. Not fun.

If I ever teach or work in public school districts again, I will probably have to uproot once more.

12. springmac

springmac Companion

Jan 20, 2012

I lived in PA up until August. The job market for teachers there is impossible! Hubby works for a company that expanded into Florida. He requested a transfer & I flew down to interview in June & was hired on the spot. So far, so good. I worked as a LTS up in PA, so I was getting a teacher salary. I took a pay cut coming down here, but I love it. We've always wanted to retire here. It's tough being a teacher here (low pay, tons of paperwork, no tenure,), but I used to work in the private sector, and I never had tenure there either!

13. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 20, 2012

I moved from Ohio to Illinois. It was just me and my dog, so not too difficult. I do miss my family sometimes, but I love where I'm at.

14. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jan 25, 2012

I am looking to move around 150-200 miles away for a teaching job. My area right now is so overflooded with applicants. Where I want to go will be better in the long run.

15. xitalianacutiex

xitalianacutiex Rookie

Feb 3, 2012

I was out of work in Georgia, where I had moved to live with my parents after getting laid off my teaching job in Delaware. I was a nanny for a couple of months but it was not working out. I applied to teaching jobs in Florida and was hired pretty quickly. I moved 9 hours away from where I was living, and a 24 hr drive from where I grew up in New Jersey. I am single and was able to just get up and move without knowing anyone here but if I was married and had a family it would be more difficult. However, you have to do what you have to do, and if moving far with a family for a job makes your family more financially stable then you have to do it.

16. ignimbyte

ignimbyte New Member

Feb 3, 2012

I was a newly wed back in the late 90s when I first tried to seek employment closer to home. Unfortunately, that didn't work. When I seek employment elsewhere, I was immediately offered contracts ... we had no children at that time, and it was closer to my wife's family, so moving to the city turned out to be a nobrainer.

It took me a while to get adjusted to my new environment, but I eventually adapted, and then moved on.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 3, 2012

I'm a little late in responding, but I have been reading everyone's responses as they've been posted. Thanks, everyone! I am sure it would not be easy, but I have decided to apply throughout my state. There are limited opportunities where I am (which is ironic, since I'm in the most densely populated area of the state.....which actually creates the limited opportunities), so we may be branching out elsewhere! I guess I'll just apply and see what doors open! :)

18. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Feb 3, 2012

Hi

I am single and moved about 2000 miles away from family for a special education job in Alaska. After being up here for 3 years, I am now looking at moving back closer to family and find more of a social life.

thanks