Who needs to take the CTEL exam???

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by New_Math_Teach, May 14, 2009.

1. New_Math_Teach

New_Math_Teach Rookie

May 14, 2009

I am currently holding a Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential in Mathematics. I got my teacher training in Hong Kong. I don't know if I am required to take the CTEL exam. Do I need to have the CLAD certificate in order to teach in California??? What does English Learners mean? Does every teacher teach in California need to take the CTEL exam???

If I need to take the CTEL, can you suggest me what study guide I should buy? Is it a difficult exam?

Thank you for answering my questions.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2009

This leaflet (http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl628c.pdf) spells it out.

An English Learner is someone whose first language is not English and who can't yet process the English of lectures and textbooks without more assistance than is needed by the average native speaker of English. There are enough children who are not native speakers of English that it makes sense for ALL teachers, in whatever subject area, to be well versed in how to teach English learners. (Note well, please, that Spanish is by no means the only non-English first language in question: Chaldean, Karen, and Amharic are found in suburban San Diego, Armenian is common in parts of the Central Valley, Vietnamese is important in Orange County, and Los Angeles is still home to the largest populations outside their native areas of an incredibly large slice of world languages.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. New_Math_Teach

New_Math_Teach Rookie

May 18, 2009

Thank you for your explanation! So, it would be better to take the CTEL exam, then I will have more options in applying the teaching jobs.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2009

Whether you take the test or the coursework (which comes bundled into most credential programs), you pretty much have to get that stamp of approval in order to be hired to teach (or at least to be kept on).