Who loves math?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by fourth-newbie, Nov 21, 2005.

1. fourth-newbie

fourth-newbie Rookie

Nov 21, 2005

Hi, If you love your district's math textbook series, I need your advice. My K-5 school is in New York State and needs a great series that is aligned with the new New York State math standards. What series do you recommend? Thanks!

3. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Nov 21, 2005

I love math! Math was my specialization when I got my BS.
    I'm not so crazy about our math series, Everyday Math. It jumps from one topic to the next and never gives enough practice for the student to master a skill. But then, my math cadre keeps telling me that in first grade we are not suppose to master any skills except counting. I just think that's sad. However, we are playing lots and lots of games!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2005

Had to answer this post...I love teaching math. I can't help with texts much as I am in Canada, but I find that I don't use a text book very much at all--most of my program I develop myself from a combination of resources.

5. dee

dee Companion

Nov 21, 2005

Check with ScottsForesman. In LA, they have an edition that is closely aligned with our standards. I would think that they have a series like that for other states.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

I love math and I don't really care which curriculum we use! Right now we are using Sadlier because it is so straightforward. I don't need a spiral type curriculum because I spiral the material myself by constantly linking together prior topics with current ones.

7. bonteach

bonteach Companion

Nov 21, 2005

We use Math in My world , its Mc GrawHill. I like it, but I'm not really a math person. The math people on the education committe dont like it because they dont think it goes with our middle school curriculum which uses connected math.I hate connected math, but my 6th grade daughter loves it. Then again she's a math person too.
    Oh well thats my 2 cents

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 22, 2005

What is connected math?

9. cingy

cingy Rookie

Nov 22, 2005

I teach a 3/4 now but taught 5/6 in the past. We use the Investigations math program which then moves into the Connected Math program. I love teaching math and hate being tied down to any one series. I have found that Investigations gives kids a strong conceptual understanding of math but, like any other program, it has gaps. Understand that the Investigations series is nothing like the way in which we taught math. It provides students opportunities to create their own understandings of math before teaching them the standard algorithms. And this is definitely a strength of the program. My children use Everyday Math (which I like to call every day every hour every minute math). It has some strong points but seems to be too much. I liked Connected Math as it provides ways to differentiate instruction, especially for the high fliers. There are group activities as well as being individualized. I did not use it enough to form more of an opinion. Hope this helps.

Karen

10. wannabteachr

wannabteachr Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

All I have to say is..stay away from Houghton Mifflin Math. We use their series and it is awful.

11. pam1212

pam1212 Rookie

Nov 27, 2005

Hey, fourth-newbie!
    The school I work in uses Growing with Math - but the teachers do not like it at all.
    What District in NY are you in?

12. mreser

mreser Rookie

Nov 28, 2005

We use Saxon Math and I think its wonderful. Each lesson is a script for the teacher. YOu can modify if you want or use it as is. It is a spiral math but I find it very interactive with the students and keeps them interested.