Who Locks Their Doors?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jul 19, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2009

The McDonald's thread got me thinking...who locks their house doors while they're away or asleep?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2009

My family & I have done that since day 1 unteen yrs ago. I don't care how safe we think the area is.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

I always do. Just a few streets back there was a home invasion robbery (very rare for my area). Made me realize that I was doing the right thing. Robber was shot dead by homeowner.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 19, 2009

You never know who lives around the corner, or who may drive by and stop for a closer look. We lock everything.

6. TeachCA

TeachCA Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

We lock our door every time we walk out.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 19, 2009

I lock the doors all the time. I also lock the bathroom door when I'm taking a shower and the bedroom door when I'm sleeping. I live alone, and I've just gotten into the habit. I think I would feel weird if I didn't lock by bedroom door at night.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 19, 2009

We have 2 doors. Our back door is always locked unless we are in and out doing gardening stuff. The front door is always locked since we have a keyless entry. It automatically locks unless we set it to be unlocked. We just leave it set as locked since we can come and go without a key anyway.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

I do.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 19, 2009

I lock it when I leave the house.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2009

Mine are ALWAYS locked- even in the day. I live in a safe neighborhood, but people are crazy and things happen everywhere. My house has an alarm system, but I unplugged it and do not have it monitored. I didn't feel it was necessary.

When I lived in my apartment (next town over), the town I lived in was one of the wealthiest in the state (actually, I think the average income is the highest in the state). I locked my door and used an alarm and had it monitored.

If I leave to go to the grocery store (or somewhere quick), I won't lock the deadbolt, but I lock the regular lock.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Mine are always locked, too. Big difference from college where I would actually leave it unlocked almost all of the time, and sometimes I would even leave the building briefly and leave my door OPEN.

My parents do not ever lock their doors. I do not even know if a key exists. They also live in the middle of 100 acres with a half mile driveway.

13. glen

glen Companion

Jul 19, 2009

Ours are always locked unless someone is outside and we set the alarm at night or if no one is going to be home for a little while. We're not in a high crime area (very suburban, homeowners in my development tend to be professionals- lots of teachers, nurses, etc.), but just feel better taking precautions. Things can happen anywhere.

14. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 19, 2009

i'd be surprised if many people didn't lock their doors.

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

Our doors are locked at night and during the day when no one is home.

16. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

We lock our doors. Definitely at night - someone tried to break into my husband's car, parked right in front of our house, when he was up getting ready for work one morning. House: back door is always locked, unless we are using the back porch for grilling, otherwise always locked. Front door is locked whenever we leave the house, if I am not staying just out front. If I am even walking up the street, I lock it, because I don't know everyone in my neighborhood, and don't trust everyone.

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2009

I live in the city. I ALWAYS lock the doors. I even lock my apartment door when I am in my building but not in my apartment, like in the laundry room, taking out the trash or getting the mail. Even if it only takes 5 minutes!!

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Please convince them that nowadays they NEED to lock their door, especially living in the middle of 100 acres with a half mile driveway. It's so isolated. Things happen everywhere these days. I finally convinced my sister to lock her doors. she lives in a very rural area and felt there was no need but after I explained how much I loved her and I was just looking out for her, she saw my side and now locks her doors.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Heck, I lock them when I'm home. It's a safe neighborhood, but still... a few years back, my dad had been working in the garage (with the door up) and went in the house to use the bathroom. Me, my mom, and my brother were out on the back porch. In that 5 minutes, someone went into the garage and stole his best fishing reels. We think they'd been in there before & knew what they wanted, since they only took his top-of-the-line stuff.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

I lock- when I'm in the house alone, it's locked...If my kids are home in the daytime, it's probably unlocked as they are in and out. Always LOCKED at night, always locked when away...I live in a safe, quiet neighborhood, but still...

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 19, 2009

Locked. During the summer & we're out back, front door is shut & locked. Garage door is locked. I have a big dog that most people are afraid of & I still lock. (Mailman won't deliver mail if the screen door isn't shut all the way & the front door is open).

22. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

I lock the door to my apartment when I'm gone, but its usually unlocked when I'm at home and awake, but I lock it at night. If we had a security door that was locked (we don't, my landlord is cheap and doesn't want to install an intercom system so he uses the excuse that the extra key would confuse the elderly people who live here!) I would probably lock my door only when I wasn't home.

I'm more anal retentive about locking my car doors then I am about locking my house.

23. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

We lock our doors. I also lock my bike when I'm swimming in the pool 10 feet away.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2009

Sarge--my husband's bike "lives" in our front hallway because, apparently, our locked garage isn't secure enough.

25. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

We always lock our doors....we double check...and triple check.

However, I do remember in college, my roommates and I never locked the door (only when we went to sleep) and neither did our neighbors and friends. People came in and out as they pleased. I suppose we were all a little more carefree then.

26. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

We don't lock our car doors when we are parked at home and typically leave the front house door unlocked when we're home, unless we're going to bed. We do lock the house when we leave, and the cars when we are out.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Sarge, I can't tell you how many times in college I saw bikes missing tires b/c they only locked the front tire to the bike rack. Mine was always locked with a u-lock to the rack and a chain between both tires.

28. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

My husband has been known to lock me out of the house by locking the doors when I go out to pick up the mail, lol. Needless to say, the doors are always locked at night and if we're out of the hosue.
    Kim

29. Kase

Kase Companion

Jul 19, 2009

We live in an apartment complex so we lock it whether we're home or away.

30. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

I leave it unlocked if anyone is here... like if DH is here and I'm just running to the store. But if we're going to be away for more than an hour or if we're asleep, then I lock the door. We live in a really small town, but we live right in the middle of town, plus it's a big tourist town. So we've always locked our doors. I live in the same house that my mom has had since I was 5 -- I do remember a time very early on when we didn't lock the doors, but we have for the last 15 years or so.

My MIL and my sister both live in this same town, but out in the country, and neither of them ever lock their doors.

31. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

Guess we are in the minority. Our doors are never locked during the day when we are home and the garage door is usually open. My husband locks the doors when he goes to bed at night but they are often unlocked in the morning because the kids have gotten home after he went to bed. That being said, our household usually runs 24 hours. I really don't think that everyone is ever asleep at the same time. We actually only started trying to lock the doors at night very recently. My neighbor did not even have a lock on his back door until recently.

32. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

I do live in a "safe" area in the country. But I have kids. Of course, I lock my doors.

33. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 19, 2009

I always have my door locked except the back door to the yard during the day. But you'd have to jump a 6 foot high fence with neighbors all around.

34. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2009

To answer my own question (I was ready to go to bed last night), our doors are never locked while we're home, and if we run to town we don't typically lock them. My husband never locks the doors at night, but I usually will. If I'm alone they're certainly locked because I have an extremely overactive imagination.

As far as vehicles are concerned...some of you may remember my vent about our mailman ruining an item by bending it into the mailbox, despite the printed warnings (http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=88193&highlight=mail). The company kindly sent a replacement, and when they did it was mailed in an extremely sturdy package, meaning the mailman had to get out of his vehichle. I had gone to town for a bit, so he came in the garage, as the door was open, opened my husband's vehicle, and placed the package in his seat. So, needless to say, we don't lock our vehicles either.

35. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 19, 2009

I live in the inner city. The second I get home, I lock the doors and they stay locked. If I'm outside doing yard work, they are locked and the key is in my pocket. If I go next door, I lock the door.

I'm the same way about my car -- not only is it always locked, the first thing I do when I get into the car is lock it -- even before I put on my seat belt.

It becomes an engrained habit. When I go to visit my dad out in the country, everyone leaves their house doors unlocked during the day, and their cars too. I have to be really careful not to accidently lock him out of the house -- because he never thinks to take his key.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2009

Woah! :eek: Yes, I remember your package incident. Now, I guess if you really wanted to complain about what the mailman did, you could have, but since you were so glad to get the package for the 2nd time in an unbent condition, I guess you didn't mind that he put it in your car. I wouldn't have liked him doing that myself.

37. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 19, 2009

I always keep my doors locked unless I am outside. My front door is always locked unless someone is at it. I use my back door to get in and out. It is locked unless I am outside. I also keep my windows locked. If they are open I have a slat of wood to keep them from being opened too wide. I know it is overkill but there was just a home invasion robbery in town. That usually doesn't happen here!

38. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

My parents' mail man will take packages right into the house for them, since our dogs will eat them otherwise. We wouldn't think to complain about something like that. Better than leaving it outside for someone to steal (or dogs to eat).

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2009

Yes, I was very glad it arrived safely. :) But putting things in vehicles is pretty standard (here). I went out to the garage just the other day and the UPS man just happended to be in there bringing in a giant package of my husband's. He probably knocked and I didn't hear it, so bringing it in the garage was the best thing to do.

40. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 19, 2009

I lock up all the time!!! There were reports starting last winter that people would go into your house & rob you while you were shovelling snow or working in the yard. They would just enter & exit through the door on the side of the house that you weren't on. Scary! :eek:

41. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

My door is always locked when I am away because I live in an apartment complex. Usually I try to keep my door locked when I step out to walk my dog or throwing the trash.

One of my friends told me a story about her in-laws. Her brother-in-law was talking about how there was no crime in their small town and would leave the door unlock when nobody was home. Well, guess what happen. Their stuff (plasma tv, camera, etc) was stolen. The people who robbed them were responsible for a big crime spree in which they would just walk into people's homes and steal stuff because nobody was around and the doors were unlock. Luckily the family was not home.