Who Knits?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Dec 6, 2013.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2013

I have so many friends and relatives that "knit".....do you? I love wearing all the cute scarves and things....wish I could but don't have the time or patience to learn. I do wish I knew how.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2013

My mom crochets and said knitting is much more difficult. She does scarves. I told her I just wanted lessons for Xmas...

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2013

Diz, the reason this came up is because I spent time with our secretary who does both. She said a lot of people think crocheting is easier, but she can read a book and knit. She said crocheting takes more of her attention. The reason I heard this is because I asked her the difference between the two. She did say it what is easier is very subjective. I am very intrigued and want to learn how to do either.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2013

My mom does that with crocheting. I mean she just rides in the car & her fingers busy with the yarn.
    She said knitting if you drop your needle it's hard to "fix." She said drop the crochet you can pull the line & pick it up.
    You are right it is subjective...my mom does blankets for people who have babies at work... I want to learn so when I want to make a blanket I can.

6. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 6, 2013

I'm so excited to find another crafter on here!

I love to crochet. I have been meaning to get into knitting for a number of years now.

I make lots and lots and lots of hats.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 6, 2013

My BFF can crochet. My ex-MIL does, too. My aunt could knit. One of my students two years ago always carried knitting with her. I like crafting, so I'm not sure why I've never tried to knit.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 6, 2013

I bought my 11 knitting looms last week. She has made a hat and now is working on a scarf.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 6, 2013

When I was a child, my mom & I went to knitting classes held at a library. I also knew how to crochet back then. I haven't done either since then though, so I've completely forgotten how to do it.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2013

I had friends teach me in college while we were on long bus trips for band tour. I started a scarf and have about 6 inches done. ;) I discovered that I couldn't do it on the bus without getting motion sickness, so I've never really pulled it back out. I'm not sure if I would remember how to do it, but I'm sure I could look up a quick refresher. I've heard that you can find good videos on youtube.

11. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Dec 7, 2013

I LOVE to crochet. I've made probably 6 or 7 blankets and a small army of sock monkeys. Now that I'm back in school I really don't have the time like I used to, but I still try to make time. I taught myself to knit because I wanted a tea cozy for my tea pot, but to me crochet is way easier. I can't ever remember how to hold the yarn for knitting. I have a friend who knits who thinks crochet is impossible..mostly because she's left handed and she can't figure out how to hold the yarn either.....

12. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 7, 2013

I taught myself to crochet a few years ago. I really like it because it's so relaxing, but I rarely have time to do it these days. I've made a hat, a scarf, and a few other little things.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 7, 2013

I learned how to do both, but don't enjoy either one. Give me cross-stitch or quilting instead. Need to finish quilting our new Christmas tree skirt today!

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2013

Missy...cool about tree skirt...

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 7, 2013

I knit! Love it, just don't do it very often. I prefer patterns that don't require a gauge. So I do mostly blankets, scarves or dish cloths. I just did a hat, followed the gauge & it is still too big!

I can do a chain stitch in crotchet but that's it.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

I knit. kpa, gauges are my issue as well. Even when I take the time to check the gauge, my project is different. As a kid, I knitted a lot. I prefer embroidery now.

17. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 8, 2013

I've been wanting to learn! I've started doing craft shows with my wreaths and I'd love to have more to sell.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2013

For those that do knit, I have been told there are great tutorials on you tube. Is this true? Also, perhaps a silly question (maybe not), but I am left handed. Would this make any difference??

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 8, 2013

My grandmother would crochet. She taught me some before she died, but I'd have to watch some videos as a refresher. I have some squares she made for a baby blanket. I'd love to be able to piece those together so it could be a family heirloom.

20. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 9, 2013

Most yarn shops have classes or groups, and most crafters love to help newbies!

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 9, 2013

Given my user name...I am a knitter!!!! My mom taught me, but there are great you tube videos that can teach you to knit. As most people will tell you...if you learn to knit first, crocheting is more difficult, but if you crochet first, knitting is more difficult.
    I find that with knitting, you have many more patterns you can do. It does take a lot of practice, and getting used to the gauge is hard. I am not a perfectionist when it comes to knitting, so I forgive myself for mistakes. I have made afghans, scarves, hats, fingerless mittens, baby blankets, dishcloths,purses, and a sweater. Attempted socks, but still learning the double pointed needles!
    I love going into yarn shops...it is like a candy store for me...:)
    A friend of mine at school is teaching me to crochet right now...:thumb:

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 9, 2013

My mom is left handed,and she has been knitting her whole life. I don't think it makes a difference, but once I ask my mom, I will PM you.

23. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 12, 2013

If you are left handed, try sitting in front of the person teaching you. That is how our 4-H leader did it.