Who is your biggest influence on discipline?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Nicolebeason, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

Any ideas on books, favorite theorists; and/or what techniques do you feel work best with you? Especially for those more challenging students. Whom would you recommend as a mentor "these days" lol. Thanks.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2019

I had the good fortune of attending a day-long class with Joe Hendershott, co-founder of Hope 4 The Wounded. So many of my students are classified as "at-risk", but when I really look at them, that worst case scenario of risk has happened, and they are wounded children. After reading his books and working with him in his small group class (there were ten of us), I have altered my approach to classroom management, and it is paying off. I haven't had as eye-opening an experience since reading about Love and Logic applications in the classroom.

Backroads and Nicolebeason like this.
  4. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 27, 2019

Thank you catnfiddle, I will certainly check that out. Possibly this person has a book? I'll check Amazon. I do believe that's the approach that worked best with me (even with adults, crazy right?) to see them as where they are coming from and this is the sort of approach I am seeking.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 28, 2019

Jim and Charles Fay of Love&Logic. I stumbled across Jim's book Teaching with Love & Logic near the end of my first year as a teacher, and is was a game changer. I have been to a few of their week-long summer conferences in Wichita, KS as well. The advice is common sense and keeps popping up in other behavior programs my schools have adopted over the years. This is for the basic day-to-day nonsense/classroom management and can be added to bigger behavior programs that deal with the bigger behaviors.

6. Nicolebeason

Nicolebeason Rookie

Apr 28, 2019

Thanks, run/w I would like to have every approach possible in my arsenal. I want to check out as many ways as I can.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Apr 28, 2019

I've been influenced by various sources, but the two that most helped me define myself as an educator have been:
    1. Michael Linsin's blog Smart Classroom Management - https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/
    2. Responsive Classroom - https://www.responsiveclassroom.org/
    The first resource helped me greatly in my first and second year of teaching. I struggled my first year, not terribly but in the way that most new teachers do, and reading this blog helped me develop a straight forward, reliable way to address classroom behavior.

The second resource, Responsive Classroom, was mentioned here on this forum (thanks!). I bought one of the books and watched their YouTube videos, and it helped me find methods to naturally build a positive classroom community and be more proactive when teaching routines and procedures.

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 28, 2019

Dr. Hendershott has two books you can find on his site or on Amazon. I've read books by people who want to merely sell books and little else. I've been to talks where the speaker made a pass at me (true story, to the point I was afraid to leave the table in case the dude spiked my drink or stuck me with his tab). Dr. Hendershott, on the other hand, is the real deal. He and I talked about his recent move to my region and some creative outlets for his younger children.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 28, 2019

Responsive Classroom