Who is teaching summer school this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, May 31, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 31, 2018

Since my school has a summer session which makes us year-round (although those weeks are more relaxed), I wanted to see what other people are doing. Also wanted to see if those who are teaching have any special projects or curriculum that they normally cannot do over the school year, or if they are truncating the traditional lessons.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 31, 2018

Ia am only teaching the second half of summer school (around July 16-August 8) so it's not so bad. It's all 7th graders looking to advance so they can take geometry as 8th graders so it will be taught at an honors level, rather than a remedial level, which is nice. There's also 2 of us in the classroom at a time for only 15 students so all the planning and grading can be done by one of us while the other teaches. It's a wonderful set-up that I wish we had year-round.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 31, 2018

We don't offer sumner school.

Many years ago I was a sub for summer school. I was called once.

I wouldn't do it anymore. I love my down time in the summer too much.

czacza likes this.
  5. minnie

minnie Cohort

May 31, 2018

I’m teaching summer school the whole month of june. Normal school year ends tomorrow. Summer school starts the next Monday. Its incoming first grade through incoming fourth grade which is a broad range. Its enrichment though so we do a lot of art and science.

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 1, 2018

I am! It’s four days a week through June. I will have three sections of fifth grade math—60 minutes of scripted intervention lessons and 30 minutes of board game playing for each session. The money is too good to pass up!

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2018

Summer school for Grades 6, 7, and 8 runs for the first three weeks of July--starting right after school is finished. I taught several years ago, but probably won't do it again. It paid very well, and the positions are highly competitive, but I felt it difficult to be enthused without having had time to "recover" from the school year. I'd be more likely to look into it if it started mid-July and I could have a couple of weeks of down time.

8. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jun 1, 2018

Currently doing a 3rd-4th grade STEM camp that was supposed to be a kit called "Missing Money Mystery" but our supplies never showed up. So instead we're winging it! We did one crime scene from a different backup kit, had a field trip, and a room escape kit we bought online. This goes until next Friday, then at the end of July I'm teaching a 10 day kindergarten jumpstart with a few other teachers.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 1, 2018

Unless you are watching SPED students or students with behavioral problems, why do you need two teachers in the classroom for 15 students?

interesting that taking Geometry in the 8th grade is considered advanced. That is the norm at my private school.

10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 1, 2018

Four of us wanted to teach the course, and they had funding for two of us to do the first half and two to do the second half so why not? Two is better than one. It also gives us the ability to split the class in half as needed to do smaller group instruction. This is helpful sometimes when some of them really get the topic, but others do not.

Also, I really think kids are taking advanced courses too early. I think most students should be taking algebra 1 9 th instead of 8 th. The rush to calculus has got to stop.

11. futuremathsprof

Jun 1, 2018

This is the common practice in many parts of the world, except in the US. It only seems to be “too hard” in this country, for some reason.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 1, 2018

Other parts of the world don't educate 100% of the population though (same for your private school that selects who to admit). When there is selectivity in terms of the student population, you get these trends. There are also some of those countries that do geometry before algebra so that can be misleading.

In my district, I would say about 1/3 of our students take geometry in 8th grade, another 1/2 take it 9th grade, and then 1/6 take it in 10th grade. I think it's crazy if you have many kids taking geometry in 7th grade, and would ask WHY. Students are too often pushed into a track of math that is too fast for them, and then they really struggle. I would rather a student graduate high school knowing algebra 2 really well then knowing calculus loosely. Not every student should need to take calculus, or even precalculus in high school, but the parents see other people's kids doing it so they follow suit.

13. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 1, 2018

The only time I taught summer school was right after internship and before my 1st full-time position.

For a couple years, I spent summer either vegging out with the wife and kids or looking for work and stressing everyone out. ;)

This year, I'm in a 2-week computer programming in the math class summer program. The concepts are good. The stipend is $100 a day. Not bad for 10 days of learning.

14. futuremathsprof

Jun 1, 2018

When there are too few students pursuing STEM even though employers are begging people to apply, that says that more students need to be pursuing higher-level maths. When I graduated from one of the best math programs in the country, there were only about 30 of us all together and there were 400+ psychology majors. Guess what, not everyone can be a psychologist, but we still have everyone under the sun practically flocking to that major...

The same can be said for teachers getting their licenses in elementary education all the time. There is a large disparity between teachers graduating with Single Subject credentials for high school courses and elementary school graduates. That’s why there are so few job openings for elementary teaching positions because the market is way over saturated.

It’s funny how people say that not everyone needs to take math when barely anyone does compared to the other disciplines.

Really now?

nstructor likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

Jun 1, 2018

Isn’t that less than what a substitute teacher makes?

16. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 1, 2018

I like being in demand. I would also say that rushing students to take advanced levels of math above their current ability level is only increasing the likelihood that they will grow frustrated with math and not pursue it further. It won't just magically create more engineers to force students to take math classes that are too challenging for them. If they are comfortable and confident with what they are learning, they are more likely to stick with it. I think graduating college with a solid foundation in algebra/precalculus skills, and waiting to take calculus until college is the right decision for some students.